Museum Replicas SW costumes

Any more info on these?? Those two ROTS sabers have my name all over them!!

As with any licensed company I know that we cannot expect real accuracy but what I would like to see with the new Stunt line is something as "accurate" to the screen used stunt as the LE line is to the screen used hero.

SDC_6785.JPG

http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=32000
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=32001
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=32002

Any more info on these?? Those two ROTS sabers have my name all over them!!

As I understand it, the stunt sabers that were being offered by Museum Replicas were to be manufactured by EFX, part of the EFX product line. But the stunt sabers have since been removed from Museum Replicas' website (with no reduction in price for the costumes they were originally bundled with).

They are not available yet, and EFX doesn't list them on their website, but a look around the internet shows a number of retailers offering pre-orders, You can find sellers on eBay offering pre-orders for as low as $85. Some retailers list a release date of January 2010, some say Feb 15, 2010.

I think accuracy comes down to what you want the prop or costume for. It's been discussed a lot on here about prop accuracy and I think the same holds for costumes. A lot of people want a representation of what the item would look like in the SW Universe. Other people want a representation of the prop. I don't think when Lucas made the movies that he told the people to make asymmetrical Stormtrooper helmets, they just were sculpted like that. If you want a Stormtrooper helmet that represents what the Empire equipped Stormtroopers with, then it probably would be symmetrical.

I guess I'd fall in the category of wanting a representation of what something would look like "in universe". However I'd buy an armor kit if it was less.

If you want a Stormtrooper helmet that represents what the Empire equipped Stormtroopers with, then it probably would be symmetrical.

Says who ?
Lucas may not have asked for the trooper armour and helmets to be sculpted that way but he approved them, why would he approve assymmetrical wonky helmets and armour if he wanted perfectly symmetrical helmets and armour ?
Just figured they'll do ? never even noticed ? couldn't care less ? who can say, it's supposition and nonsense that belongs in EU books and fan fiction.

If you want to represent what's seen on screen then you have to go with what's worn, otherwise you're just representing whats in your head.

I'm just saying that there's no reason he would want them asymmetrical. I think it was just that way because of how it was sculpted. Plus they were in a rush so they were good enough. The U.S. military doesn't go asking for asymmetrical helmets so why would the Empire? It just doesn't make sense.

I think accuracy comes down to what you want the prop or costume for. It's been discussed a lot on here about prop accuracy and I think the same holds for costumes. A lot of people want a representation of what the item would look like in the SW Universe. Other people want a representation of the prop.

I guess I'd fall in the category of wanting a representation of what something would look like "in universe". However I'd buy an armor kit if it was less.

I agree.
I get prop replicas because I love the fictional universes that exist within the films, and I want objects that I can imagine actually came from that universe. I'd rather have a prop replica that reflects the intent of the creator of that universe, than one that reflects the limited time, skill, and budget of our real universe. Call it playing make-believe if you like.

If all other factors were equal, I'd take a replica that is cleaned up, smooth metal that lights up and makes sound, over a lumpy, hurriedly-painted piece of resin with untrimmed mold lines and halves that don't line up quite right, that purports to be more similar to a screen-used prop.

Of course, all other factors are rarely equal, so my actual purchasing/constructing decisions will depend on things like cost, time, effort, and availability.

As for screen-used props, I would definitely love to get my hands on some of those! But for a different reason: screen-used props are an artifact of the creation of the film itself. It's like the pickaxe Hillary took to the top of Everest. It was one small tool that played a part in achieving something great. For that reason, I wouldn't care how messed up or poorly made a screen-used prop is. But I'd be getting it for a different reason than I'd be getting a replica.

The realities of filmmaking include limited time, money, and necessity. It is common for a film director to approve props and costumes that aren't perfect, even when he would like them to be perfect, because any professional filmmaker knows that taking the time and effort to do things "perfectly" cost more than doing things that will be "good enough." Especially when the director knows that he's not planning to linger on that prop in close-up. When you first saw Star Wars in the theatre, you probably didn't notice that the stormtrooper's helmet was asymmetrical. Lucas knew you wouldn't notice. So he would have been right not to care.

Back when Star Wars was being made, VCRs were not that common, and DVDs weren't even invented yet. He didn't make movies for people to watch in hi-def, frame by frame. He made them to be seen in the theatre. Even today, while directors are mindful of the popularity of blu-ray, their primary focus is on the normal viewing experience.

And it's not as though the craftsmen and artisans who make the props don't care about what they do. But when your boss hands you a list of tasks and a deadline, you don't show up at the deadline with half of your tasks incomplete because you were taking extra time to make everything "perfect."

If you want to argue that asymmetrical stormtrooper helmets were Lucas' intent because he approved them that way, well, he also approved the symmetrical MR helmets, which he knew would be scrutinized up close.

well, he also approved the symmetrical MR helmets, which he knew would be scrutinized up close.

Yes he did, that is true.

But in no way do I think that looks like something that came from that "make believe" universe... I believe its from somewhere in our universe... Like Toys R us.

It's not just symmetrical.

Its hideous. :sick

Iv'e got a Pic somewhere with a TE next to a MR....

It wouldn't have mattered if I was 10 years old... and never seen the RPF... I would know in 5 seconds which one looked like the movie.

Of course I DID notice the difference in luke and hans helmets and most of the others in the movie at that same age... so I could be an anomoly? :angel

Obviously if you want movie accurate you have to make them look right. I'm just guessing that they weren't intended to be asymmetrical because Lucasfilm has tried to release symmetrical versions every time it's licensed official versions. A lot of the helmets in the movies also aren't put together correctly and have gaps or are misaligned, yet he still okayed those shots for print. I think a lot of times fans are too exact and replicate things that weren't intended.

Take the Endor rifle, which I'm building, for example. A lot of the ones you see fans replicate are broken rifles that have been on display or versions that have pieces that obviously fell off. Yet the fans will dutifully replicate the part outline where the piece fell off. That's not what was intended.

Thanks to a good friend I received the Museum Replicas Imperial Death Star Officer cap. I bought a mannequin bust for it, and here it is in a temporary display:

a4ri4i.jpg

2wmkirr.jpg

Back onto the discussion of props, ID1113 finished his RotS Obi-wan and I believe that he obtained a Museum Replica Obi-wan cloak to complete it. Here are some pictures of him from the recent 2010 San Francisco Wondercon.

4489054898_864b58254c.jpg
4489058836_b1e5e34f80.jpg
4489084036_a8ce114e7e.jpg

ID1113 with another mutual friend of ours who is an Obi-wan costumer

4488431699_b7ef29f6b8.jpg

I heard Sansweet talking about the Museum Replicas stuff while I was at C2E2. He was saying how accurate the costumes are. But my guess is even he doesn't believe the stuff he's saying, especially since he's been around the real stuff and (to my knowledge) owns several original pieces.

Last edited:
I heard Sansweet talking about the Museum Replicas stuff while I was at C2E2. He was saying how accurate the costumes are. But my guess is even he doesn't believe the stuff he's saying, especially since he's been around the real stuff and (to my knowledge) owns several original pieces.

He also criticizes "bootlegs props" every chance he gets, but I'm pretty sure that's because he has too. Several people here have sold him "bootleg props".

i am curious about the Anakin Robe they are selling. has anyone heard any reviews or seen any pictures of it. i am curious how accurate it will ba as opposed to having one made out of wool crepe.

Only one thing I can say about Obi-Wan cloak which was shown here - it has pretty good pattern.
May be,I will get through my friend(which work in new costume museum in Europe) both Anakin and Obi cloaks and use them as base for my own cloaks,but with screen accurate fabrics.

Did anyone from this board actually buy any SW costumes in the meantime and would like to share comments regarding screen accuracy or quality in general?

I am mostly interested in the Imperial Officer's garment... but any real life / production info (no ads or prototypes) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Falk

I got the green MRL cap as well. Now I have both the Imperial caps and I like their quality. Though the Medium size caps are that thing to get unless having a really big head - Large is huge and XL is for Zeppelin heads only... LOL

Did anyone from this board actually buy any SW costumes in the meantime and would like to share comments regarding screen accuracy or quality in general?

I am mostly interested in the Imperial Officer's garment... but any real life / production info (no ads or prototypes) would be appreciated.

No Museum Replicas customers in this forum???

:confused

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back