Museum Replicas SW costumes

Not much better in my opinion.

Is that just the fan input in general, or the fans they chose to use?

I also agree that not all 501sters are great reference material. Some are, some aren't, but that's another story. Overall, it's very fair to say that membership != expertise.

Do you think it would be better if they, say, came to a place like this for input?

I ask mostly in the hope that the people involved in projects like this are reading it and might get ideas. I get the impression that they are, in their own way, making a somewhat sincere effort at making a good product, so maybe this can help them on future things.

Theoretically yes... but non-costumers/collectors look at things differently.

I've experimented with this. I'll wear my Fett suit and swap between the RotJ helmet and the ESB. Most people don't even realize that it's different.

They only see the general impression... T visor, red around the lens, green elsewhere. The details are lost.

A Fett fan can pick out a PP3 vs. an ESB hero, but a casual Star Wars fan just sees Boba Fett. So imagine you're a hired gun that doesn't care about Star Wars at all...

If you give someone that isn't "into it" an original piece, that person might not even see some of the details that a hard core fan of that prop/character would notice.

I think a combination of original props + talking to people who know them pretty well is a good strategy.

^ THIS^ (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Is that just the fan input in general, or the fans they chose to use?

Both.
Most 'fans' are not as knowledgeable about the original props as they think (even though they don't realize it).
In my experience, the 501st and the like (especially costumers/cosplayers) suffer from this more than most.

They can actually make the situation worse even when their intentions are good.

I saw the suits at DragonCon 2009. I got a real good look at them and had my seamstress with me who has made some pretty impressive stuff. Overall, she wasn't very pleased. She was asked by Hank, when owned Museum Replicas, to come to work for him. She refused stating it was a hobby and not a job. I agree with her. Anyway, back to my point. The suits were nice looking, no doubt. However, if you are looking for that optimum perfect edge or the accuracy of the piece of lint on the shoulder, you won't find it. It just isn't there. I've got different perspectives on cloth pieces vs armor pieces. To me, the armor pieces have to be right. The cloth moves and flows and can give "illusions" of being right. You cannot fake the armor. It is either right or it isn't. On the whole accuracy thing though, I do not go for completely screen accurate in any case. I believe my job as a costumer (not as a collector) is to portray the character that the fan thought they saw on screen. For this reason, I will not take a paintbrush to my ANH Vader helmet, I will not scuff and ding my armor or put white duct tape on it and I will not raid the nearest antique movie theater for my Royal Guard robe material. I go for a look that is 95% accurate and the one that looks good in person and not necessarily the correct one for the movie set. Just my thoughts on the whole deal. Call me wrong, call me right...........we'll just agree that it is my opinion. As for the suits by Museum Replicas, overall, I was not pleased. I think they are overpriced and you can have one custom made or make it yourself for better money in most cases or at least get one that is made to your measurements and the material and quality will be higher. My personal grief is that they didn't finish their seams. As for the TK armor that has been in the rumor mill for a while........................I am VERY skeptical about it. I heard all the fluff about how it was going to be layed up like fiberglass and actually flex like real armor. Now, I'm hearing they are pulling it on vacuform machines. Overall, I've seen nothing of what it will look like and frankly I will hold final judgement to when I see it in person. If the price points I'm hearing hold any truth, then it will be way too expensive. :eek

Just have to put one little jab in about the 501st here. Most 501st members are sticklers when it comes to their costume "accuracy". True, some do not care and just like to troop and we all like our non-cannon suits we have, but for the most part, they are a very knowledgeable group of folks who know there stuff. With the CRL out now, it makes GML's jobs easier.

Take care folks.

Jesse

If it wasn't obvious in my other posts, I have a very low opinion of the collective knowledge base of the 501st in regard to original SW costume authentic details/construction/etc...
I'm vocal about that because the idea that they are the 'go to' people in this hobby for accurate costume knowledge infuriates me.
It is a belief that is spread out of people not knowing any better.

there are some really good things about the 501 legion but being the "'go to' people in this hobby for accurate costume knowledge" is also something I could never agree with as well.

Exactly, the charity event aspect of them is great (when it actually is for charity and not just a bs excuse to play dress up), but that's about as far as it goes for me.

I think generalizations, in anything, can lead down a dark path. I think Gino has some unresolved 501st issues and that is not what this thread is about. Like a few have said before, some in the 501st are accurate costumers, some are not but you find that wherever you go. Museum Replicas had to make business decisions as they are trying to make a profit and so their stuff is not even as accurate as they claim. For example, they turned down trim that LFL had approved on the TPM Padme Battle outfit(which is the most accurate I have ever seen) due to price. And obviously, sourcing and having custom made trim is not that cheap or easy and so that one has not been produced yet(also due to the fact that they claim they cannot find cheap horsehair lining for the jacket). They paid a hefty price for that LFL licensing agreement so they are very aware of costs. Some costumers are the same way. I know I would rather spend the money to get the good stuff than make due if I can find what I need(as it will drive me nuts). The other thing is LFL is not that concerned with accuracy. I have been chosen by LFL as an official Padme enough times to know that are not looking for exact clones or costumes. If it goes by the 10 foot rule and you look enough like the character physically, then you are good to go. Many costumers I know have way higher standards than LFL(the 501st and the RL included) so for them to approve it may not be the best judge of accuracy and I speak from experience with that. And Monique is right, they shoud not HAVE to ask but they obviously do not have people who can see the details so they ask for help. If someone like me were to get a chance to go to the Archives, well then, I would have a great idea to look at construction and I would figure out how to make it. Not sure who has gone to the Archives but that does make a difference too.

i see a officer costume for me the buckle of belt remember a Costume Base production.....
sorry for my bad english

Anytime a company puts out a licensed replica - and fails at delivering a truly accurate copy of the original - it just re-enforces what we do here and what this message board is all about.
Some of the BEST, most faithful replica props/costumes I have EVER seen did not come from a factory or license holder...but from the 'little guy', with brains, bare hands and passion.
I am interested in seeing what the MR costumes look like in person. Odds are, they will be good, but an avid RPFer could do better:)

I think it goes back to something I said earlier... The difference is people who actually care personally about the costume / prop / character, vs. people being paid to reproduce it.

Exactly. A person choosing to make their own costume is going to pay super attention to detail and possibly not worry about cost of an exact trim, then the manufacturer who is going to try and come as close as they can, but are really concern about the profit more so than detail. They'll try to come close to the detail but if the exact trim was more expensive and not profitable for them to use, they are not going to use it if it makes their merchandise too expensive and non-profitable.

LOL..I think I was a little repetitive there. But you get my point

But how many people will purchase these items thinking they are getting an exact duplicate of the screen used costume? Answer: TONS
Remember, people on prop boards make up an incredibly small percentage of their market.

I don't see these selling all that many. Those prices are insane, and the average customer would either half-ass a jedi costume or try something else. The driven ones would make it themselves or find a tailor, especially Imp uniforms. Those tend to attract a more serious hobbyist.
I have a large friend that paid 1K for his Grand Moff uniform due to the extensive tailoring required. Crazy money but he wanted it, and the serious buyer would want something that fit like a glove; hard to do from a world away.

But how many people will purchase these items thinking they are getting an exact duplicate of the screen used costume? Answer: TONS
Remember, people on prop boards make up an incredibly small percentage of their market.

People outside of the prop boards also don't seem to care about exact in the same sense as people here.

When a non-prop-collecting Star Wars fan friend looked at my GF stormtrooper helmet, she asked why it was all "warped and crappy looking".

That's another piece to commercial production that I find interesting. They need to idealize this stuff enough that Joe Shopper will shell out his hard earned cash for it.

I don't think your average fan is going to want to spend $800 on a Vader helmet with brush strokes in the paint.

That might be why places like Museum Replicas don't WANT the uber-leet hardcore prop people on board... they don't have a good perspective on what a more "normal" fan will pay for.

I don't think your average fan is going to want to spend $800 on a Vader helmet with brush strokes in the paint.

That might be why places like Museum Replicas don't WANT the uber-leet hardcore prop people on board... they don't have a good perspective on what a more "normal" fan will pay for.
No kidding, remember the uproar when the MR helmets were painted badly by accident? Being told "It's supposed to look terrible" is not a good company line.
JJ

People outside of the prop boards also don't seem to care about exact in the same sense as people here.

They don't care because they don't know.

That's another piece to commercial production that I find interesting. They need to idealize this stuff enough that Joe Shopper will shell out his hard earned cash for it.

Agreed, but it is my opinion that to date, every company with a SW license has not found that perfect balance between screen accurate and idealized. They always lean WAY too far into the idealized.

I'm sure there are many reasons why, but I disagree that hardcore prop people have less of a perspective.

I would argue that the average fan has no idea that a Vader helmet is not all black. It's a matter of where you feel the line should be drawn, and educating the average fan so that they know what they are getting.

It comes down to the age old argument of prop 'replica' vs. prop 'representation'. So far no company has produced SW prop 'replicas'.

These were NEVER meant to be exact representations of the screen used costumes. You cannot do that when you offer varying sizes of any costume part or when you are trying to offer a costume with a somewhat affordable price tag. Hopefully there aren't any fools out there that believe for what these guys are asking, that they might get an even semi-screen accurate ensemble. That would be ludicrous! You cannot spend 10 years looking for one swatch of fabric that matches the screen costume and expect to make that item for a measly $500. Just do the math on your own. Uber accurate costume fans have the time and money to wait forever to find just the right fabric, thread, lace etc etc etc......... A business selling to the masses simply do not. Don't sell this company short on their "attempt" to make these for the greatest number of customers possible and expect them to replace cotton twill with wool. That is unfair.

The design team will also be consulting the demographics for the most commonly sold sizes in any given garment. Will that match the screen used, custom made costumes??? No way!!!

These costumes will please 90% of the folks who buy them. The other 10% really knew better than to buy them in the first place.

Just my opinion,

Dave :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back