Museum Replicas SW costumes

Hey there, Rolf! Looking for another suit? :)

You know their armor's going to be crap if what we've seen so far is the best they can do with the softgoods. Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong.

I´m all ways on the look out for something more accurate, but as you say.
I also doubt, they will sell us screen accurate copy ANH storm/sandtrooper suits.
I´m sure it will just be another MR, Don post kind of thing.

My suit list is:
GF, AP, TM, TE2.

Last year i order the new Storm and Sandtrooper suit, from Dan Laws.
I´m waiting, and hope to see them soon.

Cheers:)

P8196910.jpg

Hey Rolf! Great looking TD there, as usual - that would be your new TE2, right? I will pm you on the MEPD soon, got your handguards about ready :)

I saw their display costumes at DC08. I remember the rank cylinders for the officer were the chalk holders. They were really listening and taking notes from peoples comments on the costumes. This year at DC, the rank cylinders look like they were casts of actual dosimeters, minus the black rubber end. I am far from the expert on the officer's black uniform, to me the material did not have the right look of a military dress dress uniform or suit material. The black fabric was rougher. I heard from friends the olive uniform has a better fabric.

I heard the same story about the stormtrooper armor. I am curious to see what it will look like.:unsure

Well my pics will follow(a friend took them) but I visited the MR booth at D*C, it was the same stuff as last year. It seems for the Padme one, they did fix the embroidery colors but the fabrics still look pretty cheap(and if it is silk, then those silkworms are working too hard, LOL). And my main issue with these replicas is that for the Padme ones, at least, there will be no hairpieces and IMO that is a part of the overall look. The hair is what completes the costume and I only worry about tons of Packing Gown Padmes running around at CV without the proper hair(a true cringe-worthy moment indeed). On the horizon, is apparently the TPM Battle Dress(still) and Leia Bespin Gown and a Slave Leia made out of actual metal and leather/suede. Seeing as the original was plastic(not really metal), again not sure how accurate(or comfortable/wearable) this will be. Even my hubby, who is not a costumer(we were dressed in the costumes in my sig banner) said that the MR guy had no idea what he was talking about when it comes to costuming.

I'm not sure if I'm smart to be doing it, but I'm gonna hold my breath on the Bespin gown and see how it turns out. I might consider going for it if it's good, but so far, I don't know. I have yet to be excited by their packing gown updates since I've gone to their booth for the past 2 years at both D*C and SDCC (and I'm going to be really sad when everyone has the packing gown and no one has the headpiece) and the dress changed very little. It doesn't look BAD, but I still like Kay_dee's much more.

And when they mentioned a real metal bikini, my eyebrows raised a little...it's hard enough to wear the resin bikini versus Darcie's poly/rubber one; I honestly can't see a woman shelling out for a *real* metal bikini as a costume. Folks buying it as a display piece, I could see. But not as a wearable costume. It would be cold (coldER, really), it wouldn't fit right on almost anyone in the chest region, and I personally have not had a problem with people accusing me of wearing a bikini that is not actually made of metal so I don't see where the advantage of having one made out of real metal would lie... (That and I don't know how other women feel, but very few people nitpick the accuracy of higher end bikini kits. That's not exactly what people are looking at. :lol) I guess they must have enough of a market for people who just want it on display to do it though...

For that matter...I hope they'd market their screen-accurate, or screen-cast TK armor as a display and not a costume, because in a kit like the FX versus screen armor, one can do things like use stairs. Or stand for more than 15 minutes without fainting. Yknow, important things to be able to do while trooping.... :confused

Also, I still don't get that ceremony Luke yellow color. :confused

Also, I still don't get that ceremony Luke yellow color. :confused

Well at SDCC there was a sign on it that says Prototype, I'd say it a pattern prototype not a material or production yet (or at least at the time) I wouldn't put too much worry into that until they start getting ready to market it and it still looks like that, which I reeeeeally doubt will happen.

The latest SW insider has an interview, article about the costumes and they are still spouting the BS. They actually say they worked with people in the costuming community to get them SA.:rolleyes

bah! if i was a woman i'd ONLY wear a metal one!!! come on, what's a few extra pounds of costume? ;)

Yeah but you're YOU, you have metal Boba Fett armor! I wouldn't wear a metal bikini just as soon as I wouldn't wear an aluminum Fett bucket that compressed my spine a good 3 inches. :lol (Although it does sort of spoil my mantra about costuming; "if it don't hurt, you ain't doing it right!")

The latest SW insider has an interview, article about the costumes and they are still spouting the BS. They actually say they worked with people in the costuming community to get them SA.:rolleyes

They sort of did though, in their defense. I remember going over with Anakin buddies of mine and they'd ask these Anakin experts about what they liked, what was wrong, etc. and the next con they'd have corrected a problem.

They sort of did though, in their defense. I remember going over with Anakin buddies of mine and they'd ask these Anakin experts about what they liked, what was wrong, etc. and the next con they'd have corrected a problem.

Why in the world would they need to ask anyone especially 501 people (as if they are ANY kind of authority on authentic costume details) about costume specifics if they had 'unprecedented access' to the originals?

Why in the world would they need to ask anyone especially 501 people (as if they are ANY kind of authority on authentic costume details) about costume specifics if they had 'unprecedented access' to the originals?

That, is beyond funny! We all know that any guy on the street or advid costumer has more knowledge and authority than LFL:lol

True that.
But if you have that kind of access to original pieces in the archives, that really should be all that you would ever need.

True that.
But if you have that kind of access to original pieces in the archives, that really should be all that you would ever need.

Right you are, I was merely being a smart
donkey.jpg

Dunno on that one. I was just saying that they at least weren't lying when they said they worked with people in the costuming community. And I don't know about armor, but the Anakin costumers they were talking to really know their stuff, and not all of them are 501st anyways. It's not like they're unqualified to be asked about details of the Anakin costume, I'd place them a little higher up than just the average guy on the street in that sense. They're definitely the first people I would go to if I had any questions about the costume.

That's not to say they should NEED to ask, you're right, if they have unprecedented access to the originals the costumers shouldn't even come into play. They shouldn't have questions about accuracy...

True that.

Theoretically yes... but non-costumers/collectors look at things differently.

I've experimented with this. I'll wear my Fett suit and swap between the RotJ helmet and the ESB. Most people don't even realize that it's different.

They only see the general impression... T visor, red around the lens, green elsewhere. The details are lost.

A Fett fan can pick out a PP3 vs. an ESB hero, but a casual Star Wars fan just sees Boba Fett. So imagine you're a hired gun that doesn't care about Star Wars at all...

If you give someone that isn't "into it" an original piece, that person might not even see some of the details that a hard core fan of that prop/character would notice.

I think a combination of original props + talking to people who know them pretty well is a good strategy.

I think I actually agree with you and just didn't say it well :)

I don't think they should need to consult fans... they should get people working on the projects that can look at the originals and really SEE them.

I just think that they unfortunately don't get those people on board.

So given that they have people working on the projects that don't really know what they are making, I think that fan input is better than nothing at all ;)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back