Small Soldiers - Chip Hazard and Archer

I found a 12" Talking Chip Hazard today for only a buck! I went to a garage sale and looked down and there he was! I'm missing his side arm so if anyone who has his gun and would like to cast a copy for me let me know!

:thumbsup

I could do with some help here, guys.

Can anybody identify the photos at the bottom of the back of the box?

boxback.jpg

It could be concept art, I suppose. Has anybody seen these images anywhere?

I think I have the far left image.
Kip.jpg

This needs cutting out of the background. Note that the knife on his back makes it look a little like two heads.

Next to him would be Butch Meathook from the same series of photos.
Butch.jpg

This also fits with there being 5 commandos (aside from Chip) and 5 photos on the box.

What do you think?

Last edited:
test.jpg

Here I've started to cut the characters out of the background and just quickly rotated them into the correct position.

To my eye, this is right. All they need is a fake shadow falling to the left and they match the box art.

Am I right?

To my eye, this is right. All they need is a fake shadow falling to the left and they match the box art.

Am I right?

(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

I think they need some kind of background, the horizontal element behind Chip looks like a kind of coloured bar or something, maybe designating rank or unit or so? Wasn´t this done with the GI Joes?

Quick update (although I seem to be the only one who's interested :lol);
I have all five photos of the commandos I need for the back of Chip's box and I have three of the five photos I need for the back of Archer's box.

Does anybody have any pictures of Troglokhan? The box features him before he was butchered and rebuilt as Freakenstein.

Hey bro, no your not the only one that is interested. I'm loving what you are doing. I wish I had the pics to help you. Great work, though:cool:thumbsup

Thanks.

Chip's box
The front, left and right sides and top are all done now except for the illustration of Chip (well underway) and the circuit board pattern under everything.

The back of the box is complete except for the big picture (not started yet).

I have also started the pattern under Chip's feet.

The big problem is getting the circuit board pattern behind him correct. I suspect that I will find this is the pattern used over the rest of the box.

I have also started to work out the pattern to layout the artwork to fold neatly. The actual box gives some very useful clues as to where folds and tucks are.

Thanks.

Chip's box
The front, left and right sides and top are all done now except for the illustration of Chip (well underway) and the circuit board pattern under everything.

The big problem is getting the circuit board pattern behind him correct. I suspect that I will find this is the pattern used over the rest of the box.

I have also started to work out the pattern to layout the artwork to fold neatly. The actual box gives some very useful clues as to where folds and tucks are.

BTW, I am really interested in your project!

As for the patterns, I suggest looking at the boxes for the Hasbro toys. They seem to have used the same patterns for the backing cards of their smaller figures.

You could well be right. That was certainly my assumption.

I have a 12" Chip Hazard in his box and I have taken what I can from that.

However, I am surprised at how many changes have been made. The pattern Chip stands on in the retail box is very different to the one used in the film. Why would anybody change that? Perhaps they didn't have access to the original graphics.

Do you have any packaging that might help?

You could well be right. That was certainly my assumption.

I have a 12" Chip Hazard in his box and I have taken what I can from that.

However, I am surprised at how many changes have been made. The pattern Chip stands on in the retail box is very different to the one used in the film. Why would anybody change that? Perhaps they didn't have access to the original graphics.

Do you have any packaging that might help?

Sorry, but I no longer have the packaging for my figures. I really wish that we could find somebody that had an actual box from the film. At least then we could ask for some decent reference photos.

Better yet, if someone owned one of the Stan Winston replica figures, the boxes are more or less the same (the front anyway).

I can't wait until you get these boxes done. They are going to be AWESOME!!!

Thanks.

Chip's box

Hi there, I hope I'm not interrupting a serious thread on Small Soldiers here. :) I found your forum quite by accident and became a member for a sorta unique reason. I have a son that is a big fan of Small Soldiers, (as his mom I can only sort of understand why lol) but this discussion is very interesting. My son is 13 and was just diagnosed on the autism spectrum, but is otherwise, highly intelligent and creative. He has already made up a prototype box of Chip and I just realized after reading here, has made quite a few other prototypes as his need has required. From the crystal skull on the new Indiana Jones, to Star Wars Darth Vader, etc. This is a young boys work, using scraps but he is really good, with no prior experience or teaching. (I have another son more severe on the spectrum that has drawings like the 50's Disney cartoons).
I guess I joined to learn more about these Small Soldiers as it is a severe passion for him that is quite intense! He was anxious to sculpt them by hand because he can't find exact ones like on the movie.
Kevin your boxes really inspired my son, and Jason your posts I haven't shown him yet, as he'll be just salivating at your life size Japanese find.
I am a self taught graphic designer myself, but wondered perhaps we could get a set of the boxes when done ? What cost would they be ?
Any other tips to inspire my son, that may help him, perhaps types of clays to sculpt with or ?
Interesting to find others with an intense interest in this movie. :)
Thanks,
~RIta

Hi Rita,

Great to have you here. It's a pretty unique hobby.

I don't plan to make any money out of the boxes. Just the cost of printing and assembly. They will need to be printed out quite large (as you probably already guessed).

My first intention is to prepare files for the box insert that Chip stands on and the wrap around piece, including the accurate crest) that appears in front of his feet. That way we can all have something accurate and interesting while I finish off the rest of the box art. I plan to make the files available free so anybody can download them and print them out.

Hi Kevin,
Wow, a download would be great!

That is really nice your not looking to make a profit on these. But, knowing about printing and design work, it can really add up $$ for all the design time. Will you have them printed as well as downloadable ?

Anyhow, I"ll keep watching this thread. I'm not into this hobby myself, but sure am interesting to hear more about it. And whatever interests my kids usually pulls me in pretty good too. :)

I've got kids (7) all interested in various areas of movie making. One that was scriptwriting for a while, and also looking into film directing and now animation.

Quite an array of countries everyone is from here. Such is the internet!

~Rita

Hi Rita,

Great to have you here. It's a pretty unique hobby.

I don't plan to make any money out of the boxes. Just the cost of printing and assembly. They will need to be printed out quite large (as you probably already guessed).

My first intention is to prepare files for the box insert that Chip stands on and the wrap around piece, including the accurate crest) that appears in front of his feet. That way we can all have something accurate and interesting while I finish off the rest of the box art. I plan to make the files available free so anybody can download them and print them out.

I've got kids (7) all interested in various areas of movie making. One that was scriptwriting for a while, and also looking into film directing and now animation.

Quite an array of countries everyone is from here. Such is the internet!

~Rita

7!? Wow!

I am also an animator. I use Maya and edit on an Avid system. My primary interest is character animation and everything I do is in stereo 3D these days. That's the fun stuff, the bread & butter stuff is the 3D posters you'll see on my website (I really need to update that to include Iron Man 2 and Avatar").

I can't help you with advic on sculpting clay, I'm afraid, although you will notice some amazing threads here with sculptors showing off work in progress. I can speak from experience that they are always ready to help with details of products and suppliers. I assume that an air dry or oven bake clay would be best.

The Small Soldiers boxes will be pretty complicated. The movie boxes appear to be assemblead from two card structures joined together. The printed paper seems to have then been stuck to this. I might well go the same route, although I am exploring all options.

7!? Wow!

I am also an animator. I use Maya and edit on an Avid system. My primary interest is character animation and everything I do is in stereo 3D these days. That's the fun stuff, the bread & butter stuff is the 3D posters you'll see on my website (I really need to update that to include Iron Man 2 and Avatar").

I can't help you with advic on sculpting clay, I'm afraid, although you will notice some amazing threads here with sculptors showing off work in progress. I can speak from experience that they are always ready to help with details of products and suppliers. I assume that an air dry or oven bake clay would be best.

The Small Soldiers boxes will be pretty complicated. The movie boxes appear to be assemblead from two card structures joined together. The printed paper seems to have then been stuck to this. I might well go the same route, although I am exploring all options.

I think I took a look at your website before joining, impressive! My boys all love stop animation and I may try to get theminto that. The (wallace and gromit kind, playing right now!)
Do you have any suggestions on where to find good Small Soldiers 12" Chip and Archer ? From what I read it is the Talking Chip and Non-talking Archer ? We just lost a bid this morning on a set that really dissapointed my son. He wants to get a set at least before you get the boxes done!
I'll have to get a better look through the other places for sculpting ideas I guess. Just what kind of a hobby is this ? Just hobby-ists looking to get their favorite show recreated, or actual professionals working for studios? I thought it was a mix of sorts.
Hope those boxes won't give you too much trouble. My son was just amazed that you have been making them. He made a prototype of them, had to be just the right ones from the movie! But, was looking for pictures to cover them in. That is how I found this forum.
Look forward to your updates!
~Rita

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back