Harry Potter Invisibility Cloak

Read the reviews though. Doesn't seem like anyone has been happy with their purchase. Might be better to make your own and stencil the patten on.

I've gone to the Warner Bros Studios outside London 3 times and taken pictures of the cloak used in the films. The difficult thing is that flash photos always cause big shiny spots or streaks on the folds. But, if you don't use a flash, the whole thing is a blur. Neither looks like the real article. Also, the red and blue colors are exaggerated by the camera.
Invisibility Cloak.JPGCloak2.JPGCloak3.JPG
I am experimenting with using black velvet as the base for my invisibility cloak. It is expensive material plus is very difficult to get detailed images on, but I think it is getting close to the "real" thing. Here is a sample:
Cloak Fabric Sample.jpg

No, I'm not using devore. I am experimenting with paintbrushes, stamps, stencils and embossing. I carved a rubber dragon stamp, but the image isn't really clear when stamped with paint (see below). I've ordered a DIY screen printing kit to try to do a better dragon around the edges of the garment. I'm hoping the screen printing will allow for more detail.
IMG_1907.JPG (Original) trunk 074.JPG (Blurred stamp)

Last edited:
ok great, I cant wait to see this finished, I mean Ive been looking to own a replica of the cloak for years, either ill make it myself or buy one from you, btw r u using layers of sheer velvet?

I'm trying this with layers of paint, not layers of fabric. But, getting the right paint is crucial since many make the fabric too stiff.

Okay, I think I've figured out how to post a picture. Here is photo of the invisibility cloak which shows most of the figures on it. The aqua colors are not so evident when you look at the cloak in person at the Warner Brothers Studios in the UK.
Invisibility Cloak.jpg

DSC00323.JPG
I got a mini screenprinting kit in from EZScreenPrint.com. Here is a dragon using the opaque screenprint ink on black velvet. It is a bit smudged as I handled it before it was dry, but I think it is exactly what I've been looking for to do the dragon chains around the front of the invisibility cloak.

I also started sewing the cloak from black velvet (not stretch velvet). I added background paint and embossed designs using hand-carved stamps.

- - - Updated - - -

DSC00312.JPGHere's a picture so far...

I'm going to try this again changing the fabric from polyester to silk velvet. I'm hoping the silver paints don't stand out so much.

I also am making a child's version. I took this cloak with me for a local Comicon & I dressed in my Professor McGonagall costume. The kids were really excited to wear the invisibility cloak for the pictures, but wanted something that didn't drape behind them for 3 feet.

Do you think you might make a few of these to sell? I'd be very interested in buying one. That one looks pretty incredible! Love all the gold design around the opening :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back