The Flash TV show Suit

I believe Mark Hamill indeed played the Jester in one of the episodes.

I just recently watched the show for the first time and was pleasantly surprised to see him in that role. The show was cheesy as all get-out, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I would love to see someone do the suit, or any info and any suits that have been done before.

Mark Hamill played the Trickster, which more than likely was the basis of his villain in Jay and Bob Strike back.
I recall a TV guide article that stated that the suit was incredibly expensive to make; granted it's an article so probably mixed a dozen sentences into one but stated that the suit cost $25,000 to create.
It was an amazing suit, and unlike many other hero costumes granted no leeway to the slightly...let's say extra male body :unsure

I also loved this show and as another member said before me, for a long time I only knew about the full-length pilot episode which I always thought was The Flash (the movie), and that's it! I don't think I have ever seen the tv series... only the pilot.
However the costume was great. I completely forgot about it but when I was a kid I tried hard to find a costume like it... failing miserably so I gave up
...but I still love running :lol

Universal Designs tackled the TV Flash costume in the past. Here's a link:

http://www.universaldesigns.ca/replica/flash.html

Untitled-3.jpg

Maybe it's the way he's standing, but the legs look weird to me. I used to love that show. There have never been enough good superhero shows made.

EEEwwwww....he's all black and mucky in his muscle joins......give that suit a bath, Flash!!!! Or else tell TV guys that airbrishing lowlights aint cool....

Rich

Yeah, the above suit looks horrible. Not only does it look wrong, but does that costume relay someone who is supposed to be the fastest man alive? :lol

One of the original suits was on display at Planet Hollywood at Myrtle Beach if I recall correctly...it was dry rotting on the display when I was there in 2002. Haven't bothered to check in there in the last few years, so no idea if it is still there.

hmmm that doesn't look right . Off in so many ways.

Actually, the suit cost close to $75,000.00 to fully make and the actor wore a cooling vest beneath the suit.

Really? What you say is quite possible. I don't know how many seasons there were, but there was an article in an old TV Guide which, at the time, said the suit got very hot, but within the material of the suit was rubber tubing. When the actor got too hot, they'd run water into the tubes which provided cooling between takes.

Really? What you say is quite possible. I don't know how many seasons there were, but there was an article in an old TV Guide which, at the time, said the suit got very hot, but within the material of the suit was rubber tubing. When the actor got too hot, they'd run water into the tubes which provided cooling between takes.

Yes, true. Actually told to me by Robert Short who made the suit. The "cooling vest" was underneath the cos. I will try to get more details from him. I remember at Disney, the character department experimented with a similar "Cooling vest" with those tubes of water, but it weighed so much the people in the suites could wear it very long.

The show only lasted one season (22 episodes). The posted costume isn't perfect, but like someone else said, much better than what you might expect someone to pull off. You have to remember that Shipp's costume was tailor made for his build and muscle suit. Without having it made to fit your body, it won't look right.

Yes, true. Actually told to me by Robert Short who made the suit. The "cooling vest" was underneath the cos. I will try to get more details from him. I remember at Disney, the character department experimented with a similar "Cooling vest" with those tubes of water, but it weighed so much the people in the suites could wear it very long.

Kurt Russell's Commander uniform had cooling ports in it for Sky High - but Kelly Preston's was too tight to layer anything between her and the suit so they had to pull it open and let it breath between takes.

Greenguy was correct, Robert Short's Effects shop DID create The Flash's Suit, there was a complete article on it years ago in Comics Scene Magazine.

This is from Robert Short's Website:

THE
FLASH

For the CBS series “The Flash” producers Danny Bilson and Paul DeMeo, asked Short to create a costume that looked like it dashed off the pages of the famous comic book. To capture the look Short’s team fashioned a two piece suit made from 30 interlocking foam pieces and then covered with a coating of electrostatic fiber. For comfort the actor, John Wesley Shipp, wore a cooling vest underneath the suit.​

I've always liked that Costume, the Design was done by Dave Stevens who wrote and created the Rocketeer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Kurt Russell's Commander uniform had cooling ports in it for Sky High - but Kelly Preston's was too tight to layer anything between her and the suit so they had to pull it open and let it breath between takes.

I loved Sky High..a bit of fluff but fun. Those suites were so obviously foam. U can see in so many shots where tey just didn't do enough smoothing in post how they were made. But I loved them!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back