Doctor Who: 6th Doctor's sonic lance (Some pics)

NakedMoleRat

Master Member
New stuff edited with pics. original post down below. She started off as a wooden buck that was vacuum formed into styrene. LOTS of filling and sanding. And......

Here she is. All I have left to do is the battery access panel.

Bottom View

001-2.jpg

Top side view.

002-1.jpg

Side View

003-1.jpg

Long shot

004-1.jpg

Top view with open access panel

005-1.jpg

The TINY little micro switch for the LED.

006-1.jpg

The LED end

007-2.jpg

And a grainy .AVI taken with the digital camera.

I have decided that I need one of these in my TARDIS tool box, but I have no screen grabs. Google has given me NOTHING to go by. This was seen in "Attack of the Cyberman" I believe that the end of the story had the doctor putting it in a box of explosive powder or something like that.
I don't have screen grab ability, and as I said, Google's a bust, but this is the RPF, we pull off what others can't do ever day.
So, any help available out there for me?

Much appreciated!

Last edited:
Re: Doctor Who: 6th Doctor's sonic lance

wasn't that a doctor's penlight?
It pretty much looks like a pen with a light on the end...or am I remembering something else?
Mobius

Okay, I did it the old fashioned way. Put in the DVD, hit pause and scteched it out. The lance was featured throughout the whole episode and was shown from every angle.

Check back soon as this turns into a show off thread. :love

Ahh, I just finished watching that episode too. The sonic lance looks very familiar, almost like a utility knife in shape....Needless to say I'm interested in what you come up with. Keep us updated!

I had the same problem when I looked for it awhile back (out of curiousity and not trying to make one). I looked for it when I was looking for all the different versions of the sonic screwdriver over the years.

Needless to say that the sonic lance that comes with the action figure is way too small (not that it would necessarily be accurate anyway).

I don't have Attack Of The Cybermen yet, but I don't have screen grab ability either.

Can I just say that I absolutely love you guys? I hardly ever post, but I read these threads thoroughly esp. the Doctor Who ones. I have learned sooo much from you guys it's unbelievable. I just hope one of these days I'm able to contribute something in return.

Funny it is. I just put the primer coat on the lance not a full five minutes ago!

Soon my friends......:love

Can't wait to see it. I now have Attack Of The Cybermen on dvd and see that this would be a great prop to make. Shame it only appears in this story.

And it looks like there were two different versions at that. The episode 1 lance is different from the episode 2 lance.
I'm making the episode 2 version as it has more detail.

The micro switch was installed to light the thing up, the paint went on, sat for an hour and a half, was wet sanded and repainted. Now to let it sit in the Vegas sunshine for two days of no touchie to let it harden really well. On Monday, put the final detail on and take some pics.

Usually waiting two days for a prop paint to harden is near unbearable, but I find that working on a couple of projects at a time allows my OCD to calm down a bit! :lol

But what about our OCD waiting for the pics? :)
I'm really anxious to see what you've come up with, and hopefully a few tips?

It's been so long since I've seen that story (if I ever saw it at all) that I no longer remember it or the Sonic Lance! :confused

So, besides being a drastically different design, what was the difference between the Sonic Lance and the Sonic Screwdriver? :confused

I mean, calling it a lance makes it sound like a weapon! :cool

Very nice work, and even the grainy video turned out okay
other than sonics (drivers, lances) what else was in the TARDIS toolkit?
I seem to remember it being in an episode, but forget which one.
also, didn't the toolkit either start out or end up as producer JNT's fishing tackle box?

Okay, I did it the old fashioned way. Put in the DVD, hit pause and scteched it out. The lance was featured throughout the whole episode and was shown from every angle.

Check back soon as this turns into a show off thread. :love

Use VLC it can take screen caps of your file and it's friendly to many file formats. I used it to get a shot of Serenity for the ace of cake thread.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

That is very very nice..you going to offer these? Any other Tools of the Doctors that you are going to replicate? Moog Drone Clamp? Etc?

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back