Project: Steampunk

Utinni

Sr Member
Following my Rocketeer Project thread I thought I'd do it again for my new project of the year for the SD Comic-Con, a Steampunk Airship Captain. I was really impressed last year with the creativity and designs that people did and the prop maker inside of me was revived! Finally a project that is TOTALLY open to imagination and design.

Personally, I feel slapping some paint and watch gears on nerf guns is NOT Steampunk. They're painted plastic guns, and look like it. The back bone of Steampunk is DIY (do it yourself), with real and "period" correct materials. And that's what I'm striving to do.

I'll be updating as I go.

Disneyland had Bat's Day (Gothic Day) a few months ago, and I threw a basic one together:

3501299341_520c398b41dfb-vi.jpg

a1-vi.jpg

My girlfriend and I out for a Steampunk Sunday drive :p
a4-vi.jpg

I'm COMPLETELY redoing the costume head to toe. I think all I'm keeping is my shirt, goggles and the small detail parts.

I decided to go with a Bowler style hat instead of the cap.
steam1005-vi.jpg

I removed the brown ribbon and replaced it with leather, brass rivets and 2 hand cut brass plates with watch part details.
fair039-vi.jpg

fair016-vi.jpg

Detail of one side, watch gears and brass:
fair073-vi.jpg

What other than Absinthe being the choice of drink for any Airship Captain! I'm also on an Absinthe kick anyways :p. I found an Absinthe label I liked, printed it, glued it onto thicker paper, put some wrinkles and creases in it. And of course any true Absinthe drinker needs their trusty sugar spoon! But I didn't want to just use one off the shelf. So I designed one in CAD, printed it out and hand cut my own out of Sterling Silver.
fair042-vi.jpg

I'm still playing with adding a design on the handle
fair057-vi.jpg

The other side of my hat
fair068-vi.jpg

The other thing any good SP needs are their trusty goggles. I found a neat pair:
steam1011-vi.jpg

Which of course I started modding out. I removed the black enamel, exposing the Brass underneath, as well as removed the material head strap and replaced it with hand stitched leather, added a couple small detail parts. I'm still planning on adding a few more details and replace the black material over the nose area with leather.
steam1007-vi.jpg

Along with goggles, a time piece is needed. I'm planning on redoing it, I threw it together in a little over an hour as a LAST minute idea the night before Bats Day. I added the watch cogs on the dial (yes it still runs) and made the leather strap.
steam008-vi.jpg

steam009-vi.jpg

Originally I wore leather field boots but I'm planning on something else for the Con. These were the hand cut Copper detail pieces I had on the boots:
Picture014-vi.jpg

Here's the shoes I'm working with now, I'm planning on making a cool pair of leather spats/leg gaiters to go over the top of them.
steam1010-vi.jpg

My hand cut Brass and Copper Airship Pilot's Wings
Picture008-vi.jpg

I'm currently working on my ray gun. As I said I want to keep as true as I can with the materials. I'm using this as my base:
steam1007-vi.jpg

Ready for modding:
steam1012-vi.jpg

I'm cutting about 3 inches off the front and then sanding and reshaping the grip a bit. I'm using Brass, Copper, Acrylic Tubing (only because I don't want to risk glass breaking), Vacuum Tube and using a tube to protect it (only other plastic I'm using, again for safety) for my Barrel:
steam1009-vi.jpg

Here's the barrel design all together:
steam1001-vi.jpg

I plan on making a Solo-esk leg holster for it. I'm also planning on a small derringer style ray gun pistol and make a leather shoulder holster and rig.

I have a couple small detail parts in mind, skeleton keys, a leather pouch, etc.

I'll be updating it as I go, it's been a real fun project so far! 3 weeks to go!!! :confused

- Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm playing around with the idea of offering custom Sterling Silver Absinthe spoons, with the drop of the ban it's popularity has surged.

- Jeff

Very Cool! I love Steampunk:thumbsup Your watch and the barrel of the gun are looking great. I also love how you used the absinthe label.

No spray painted a nerf gun? WTF THAT NO STEAMPUNK!!!!11!1!!!11ONE

j/k

Looks great! keep us updated. Z wants to see more

Love it! Your clothing choices are one of the best I've seen as far as male Steampunks I've seen just in the "thrown-together" version. So tired of black jeans and black velvet frock from the Goth-N-Go (Hot Topic).

And as a bowler man myself... Kudos on that choice.

i know a lot of people are into Steam Punk. I am curious to know something though. Were exactly did this come from. It is really neat stuff and definitely eye catching. i am just curious of its origins.

A lot of it comes from gothic roots, but is heavily inspired by the writings of Jules Verne and HG Wells. Springs from an idea of Victorian futurism. A time when steam was the primary means of power, and what SciFi would be like in that frame.

I totally love it ! Fits right in with "League of extraordinary gentlemen" and the likes, comic version, that is.

About the Absinthe, I wouldn´t set foot into an airship where the captain wears his beverage preparation utensils on his hat :lol

About the Absinthe, I wouldn´t set foot into an airship where the captain wears his beverage preparation utensils on his hat
:lol:wacko:wacko:lol

I'm also looking for a neat looking small glass vial to hold 1 or 2 sugar cubes to go with it.

- Jeff

Oh Steampunk. :)

What kind of glue did you use for the watch parts? Esp. on the hat band? I have a bag of stuff, and some ideas in my head, just dunno how to put it all together.

I was planning on stalking the Steampunk people at CC this year and getting all the ref. pics I could, so I'll probably be seeing ya!

I'm using a jeweler's epoxy that dries clear, no yellowing. Similar to what watch makers use to glue in watch crystals.

I strongly suggest that if you're putting gears and such together, just start laying them on top of each other and then start taking some away, see what works. Over doing it is real easy to do but looks bad in the end. Just small hints of gears look better.

- Jeff

I've never liked Steampunk, or the name, but I will say this....Your project looks outstanding. :D Deffintly one of the best I've seen, and not all "goofy" like many that are out there.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back