Daft Punk Guy Helmet: Final p.16, TRON p.20

Re: Daft Punk Helmet Build

Wow great job on all the detail.
I was contacted to make a replacement face shield for them last year. This is the molds that were handed to me to vac-form. I think the finger and hand-back covers were for this group also.
Here are some pics...
Kevin W.

Let me get this straight- you made the visors for Daft Punk's helmets, and the pieces for their gloves?! :love

Let me get this straight- you made the visors for Daft Punk's helmets, and the pieces for their gloves?! :love

Yes.

Here is the info I sent to you in a PM. I figured others might want to know this also...

I'm not familiar with the DP group at all. I do vac-form work for different prop companies.

I was asked to vacform the face shields. From what I know I guess DP were on tour and cracked the lens. A shop near me was the ones who was making their helmets and some other parts. I saw some of the work in progress. I think some helmets were in chrome and gold.

I vacformed the face shields in a Bronze .090 Acrylic
And the hand parts I formed in white .060 ABS. I think they wanted them to be formed in .030 or .040 Clear but I did not have that on hand. The hand parts had the name Thomas R. molded into the sides of the base.

That is all I can think of at the moment... I hope this helps...
Kevin W.

Kevin W.

That helps immensely...in making me jealous of you. :p

That's seriously awesome though!

I don't want to derail this thread too much, but do you have any other shots of the bucks or the visors...especially of the arc-shaped one (Thomas's)?

I've been working on my own replica so I can use anything you're willing/able to show me.

Thanks!

-Nick

PS: What was the name of the shop working on the helmets?

PPS: What is the spacing of the holes on your platen and the size of the acrylic sheet you used? I'm trying to work out the visor's size. Yes, I'm a nerd. :p

Last edited:

I'd guess Thomas R. stood for Thomas Right as in right hand, since his name is Thomas Bangalter. :)

Any more pics would be greatly appreciated as I too intend to start making a Thomas helmet replica. I'd suggest a new thread though (not sure where it would be appropriate in the PRF though). I know they'd go nuts in the Daft Club forums for this sort of "inside" info though. Thanks for sharing!

I know they'd go nuts in the Daft Club forums for this sort of "inside" info though.

If (or when) Kevin's pictures and story ends up over at the Daft Club I think it should be stressed that Kevin should NOT to be contacted about replicas of helmets, gloves, etc. From the sounds of it he does not have the molds anymore, and if he did it would be a breach of his professionalism to sell duplicates.

I know there's some good people over at the DC but there's at least a hand full of teenagers that would jump all over this with messages like "OMG CAN HAZ DAFT PUNK HELMET OR GLOVES? AM SERIOUS BUYER I PAY MONEY! :3"

My .02

I vacformed the face shields in a Bronze .090 Acrylic
And the hand parts I formed in white .060 ABS. I think they wanted them to be formed in .030 or .040 Clear but I did not have that on hand. The hand parts had the name Thomas R. molded into the sides of the base.

Kevin W.

That is incredibly helpful! Thank you very much for the information, it's bizarre to be wading through pages of replicas and props and stumble upon the genuine article

If (or when) Kevin's pictures and story ends up over at the Daft Club I think it should be stressed that Kevin should NOT to be contacted about replicas of helmets, gloves, etc. From the sounds of it he does not have the molds anymore, and if he did it would be a breach of his professionalism to sell duplicates.

I know there's some good people over at the DC but there's at least a hand full of teenagers that would jump all over this with messages like "OMG CAN HAZ DAFT PUNK HELMET OR GLOVES? AM SERIOUS BUYER I PAY MONEY! :3"

My .02
No doubt. They're pretty rabid over there. Part of why I joined here as well is to get some level headed near-pro tips and tricks. I found this place through Adam Savages tweets as well as your's and Volpin's posts in your massive helmet build thread (which I've read every page of, scarily).

Kevin, those visor pulls are a thing of beauty. Thanks for sharing the information! (also, I sent you a PM)

Just got back from my honeymoon, and getting back to work on the bucket. Finishing up the last bits of wiring, and then pieces will be permanently installed. Its been a long time since I originally built these boards, and I completely forgot the sequence of the lights in the ear EKG areas. Roasted 2 sets of the green/red LEDs around the RCA jack under the ear too before I remembered those were 6V, not 1.5. /facepalm

Back home and back to work - expect more updates soon!

PROGRESS:

Finished up the EKG-looking symbols in the ears as well as the lower LEDs. That one LED looks orange in the pic, but its actually quite red. Difficult to grab on camera. The other one is green as it should be.
4672979072_04a8488628_b.jpg

The backsides of these were blocked out with black foam to prevent any light from leaking into the interior of the helmet.
4672978224_180901f066_b.jpg

I also glued foam blackout strips to the sides of the light bars to block out that area from light leaks as well, and also to make the edges a bit more finished under the helmet.
4672978350_703e028944_b.jpg

I also added foam strips to the upper and lower hoops surrounding the rear wire dome. From some shots I've seen, this is actually rather accurate to the real helmets, and fills in the gap in the area between the hoops and the dome.
4672353403_719542cced_b.jpg

Finally, I have mounted all the interior boards and ran all the wires to where they need to go.
4672979190_a90f2a72e2_b.jpg

Next up is installing the visor, adding padding, and I'm DONE!

PROGRESS:

This is unrelated but is your name Nathan? I was on College Humor and they had an interview with a guy who made a Big Daddy costume for Bioshock 1, 6 months or so ago and we're talking to him again about a Big Sister costume.

Well, I can sell these, I just really, really don't want to make any more of them. This one has taken me over a year to get to this point and has given me quite a bit of headaches in the process. Thats not to say a second one wouldn't be easier (After I've finished this one for my client, I have plans to make one for myself) but they just take up so much time that I don't really have to spare.

My current pricing for another replica is a briefcase filled with money. To date, nobody has taken me up on that offer.

That being said, I do sell blank casts for others to make on their own (see below.) I've sold several of those since taking orders.

4279371846_1848958bba_b.jpg

See I wouldn't care about owning one with full lighting. I always wanted one like in Electroma. XD

This is unrelated but is your name Nathan? I was on College Humor and they had an interview with a guy who made a Big Daddy costume for Bioshock 1, 6 months or so ago and we're talking to him again about a Big Sister costume.

Thats not me, but I do know Nathan. He made a Big Daddy in 2007 (i think) and did Big Sister for the release of Bioshock 2. I got invited to assist on that project, but had to decline due to some scheduling conflicts.

That thing has got to be hot to wear. It's still going to be a thing of beauty.

It's pretty warm, yes - but not terrible.

Another update:
New video!

I tinted a scrap visor and tossed it on to see how the lights show through the tint. VERY happy with the result. Not long now...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back