ED-209 rebuild (FINISHED PICS PAGE 6)

Re: ED-209 rebuild

I really wish I would have grabbed one of those when I had the chance. Can't wait to see your progress.

really enjoying watching this project take shape. Can't wait to see shots of the new parts.

Keith your work is inspirational.

Are you going to replace the moulded rubber "canopy" - mine is starting to distintegrate at the corners :(

Mines got several large splits over the surface. Very disappointing. I would be interested in a resin canopy too.

Any progress?

Don't wish to high-jack, but got my HT ED-209 today, the paint looks pretty smoothly applied except for a few minor smears. Wondering if it's necessary to even strip it before repainting and working up the smears as battle damage. Hmm... but the rubber parts and canopy are really bothering me.

Will the jbot.ca 1:6 scale decals fit the HT?

Last edited:

Here is the new arm casting:
Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Here is the head with the rubber removed and the plastic under the rubber cut away:
Picture006.jpg

I've cut the mouth out and i'm working on making it deeper:
Picture008.jpg

Some detail started to be added to the deeper mouth:
Picture012.jpg

Here is the casting of the canopy with a quick coat of matt black paint on it. I will probably paint it satin black:
Picture013-1.jpg

Picture014-2.jpg

Here is the new canopy fitted:
Picture019-1.jpg

Picture016-2.jpg

Picture017-1.jpg

Picture018-2.jpg

The rim which runs around the canopy on the head will be painted black also. Hot toys didn't paint that black for some reason.

The piece of plastic tube fits over the hip joint and makes sure the legs are set in a perfectly symmetrical position and stay there:
Picture020-2.jpg

Picture022-2.jpg

This white styrene piece i've made will be molded and 4 casts will be glued together and replace the old rubber hip joint:
Picture024-1.jpg

Picture023-1.jpg

Keith.

Looking at my kit I'm still wondering how you were able to cut the mouth area...

In fact... how in the heck did you manage to disassemble to whole thing? :eek :confused

Last edited:

Thanks guys!

Hi Steve, long time no see.

To cut the mouth out, pull off the grey mouth section, then drill some holes in the plastic, cut from one hole to another, then use a file to tidy it all up. The plastic is VERY thick though, so it will take you a few hours.

It was quite easy to disassemble. Just pull off the glued on parts, not much glue was used on mine and unscrew the screws.

Anyway, I've finished the mouth now. I added the pipes and stuff to match the real one.

Keith.

Damn, looking good! I passed on this toy but realize now that I shouldn't after seeing your upgrades! I've built the Horizon kit and have another that I plan on incorporating movable joints into some time in the future....this would have just been easier. The toyish look turned me off but you're making it look awesome.

Joe

amazing patience keith, i couldn't bring myself to do all that work on...well anything really.

please take my advice, STAY CLEAR of CFS!

now run by cowboys with a terrible attitude and customer service, every time i placed an order there was something wrong with it

im never going back, i use tomps now. the 2 part resin is pretty good and about half the price of tirantis.

looking forward to seeing this bad boy completed, keep up the good work.

-chris

Hi Chris, i would stay clear of CFS, but Tomps don't seem to offer any resin in white.

Here is a finished hip joint, made from resin to replace the original rubber ones. This part has been the most time consuming part to make believe it or not:
Picture003-1.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg

No more rubber!!! Did i say i hate rubber?:
Picture002-1.jpg

Here is the gun pod and ammo boxes. I have bolts sticking out of the pod and magnets built into the amo boxes to hold them on:
Picture005-1.jpg

The detail with the three slots above the bolt head on the pod in the above photo had to be added on this side, as this side was where the rocket launcher was on the pod i molded. I made a partial casting of the pod and cut this section out and glued it on this side.

Ammo boxes fitted:
Picture008-1.jpg

The hole at the back takes a plastic tube through it which is how its going to be mounted to the arm. You can see how thick the cast pod is by looking at the hole:
Picture010.jpg

Here are the new guns for the left pod. They will have a few wires fitted to them after i've painted them:
Picture013-2.jpg

Here is the new gun for the left pod. As you can see, i've used two original parts. I still need to add a few bits to this to attach the wires to:
Picture015-2.jpg

Some more photos of the new left pod, ammo boxes and guns. Everything here has been reproduced/scratch built:
Picture016-3.jpg

Picture020-3.jpg

Picture017-2.jpg

As always when i take photos outside, it started to rain, so ignore the rain drops
Picture019-2.jpg

I forgot to get some pics of the finished mouth, so thats all for now.

Keith.

keith, the 2 part resin i get from them comes out as an off white, more or less the same colour as the castings you have above.

No new photos yet, but i have made the canopy attach to the head with magnets and its really cool. I keep taking it on and off. I have finished the other hip joint too.

But best of all, i have found a fantastic base paint for the main grey colour. Its the smoothest toughest paint i've ever used with a very nice sheen to it. I think the sheen is just because is so smooth with no texture to the finish at all.

Keith.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back