W.I.P - 23" Eagle Transporter from Space: 1999

8 perf

Sr Member
Can't remember if there was a 23" model built for the show, making this studio scale or not, so its going here. :)

Dug up the remnants of this model from when I was back in model school, and decided to rework it and finally finish it.
What is seen here is about 80% of the rear cage assembly. With the exception of the fuel tanks, most of the tubing structure was drawn in Sketchup and then 3D printed in 5 parts from Shapeways. While I wait for the rest of the pieces to arrive, the walkways and the rest of the engine section will be finished out.

Last edited:
Re: 23" Eagle Transporter from Space: 1999

Excellent! :cool:thumbsup

The midsize Eagle miniature was 22", not 23. The 23in length was done by Replicas Unlimited for their kit (adding a full excess INCH to the length of the passenger module and spine!), and the error was repeated on the Product Enterprise (aka "Iconic Replicas") version.

Original screenused 22" miniature, from Space 1999 Catacombs
imageuploadimagey.jpg

Here is some excellent reference from my bookmarks. Also seek out the recent issue of Science Fiction and Fantasy Modeler magazine, which had an Eagle special edition.

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/main/models/eagle/w2memenu.html

http://www.smallartworks.ca/Articles/Restoration/Restore1.html

http://homepages.tesco.net/d.sisson/

Last edited:

Thanks Phase. i have all three of those sites bookmarked in my reference already. I am using a lot of the pics from the "Small Artworks" article on the restoration of the 44" as a reference.
As you can see, my original attempt was not very well done and a very flimsy. The only major pieces I saved were the backbone (spine) since it has steel rods inside the tubing, the bare box for the cargo pod, and a raw plaster casting of the nose that a friend of mine did nearly 20 years ago.
You may also be able to see the inaccurate addition of a fuel system inside the cages. This was on the plans I had 20 years ago and was labeled as part of the "Test Mule" eagle. After learning more about the Eagle over the years, I found no other reference to that in the show, so I yanked it out as well. Pretty much started all over from scratch.

Well here is a bit of an update. Been busy with some of the sub assemblies since getting all of my parts back from Shapeways. Started on the passageways and support structure for the landing pods and figured out most of the tubing geometry for the rest of the engine compartment. Did some more work on the cargo pod as well. The last pic is a mock up of the pieces placed in their relative positions.

This is one of those ships that I forgot just how much I love! Grew up watching the show. Love the design of the Eagle. Your doing a bang up job so far. Don't skimp on lots of pictures!

I've always wanted to collect the larger scale Eagles. But they are just too pricey for me to get past the home auditor...

My Eagles (and partially finished Hawk)
200972410551_Pict2062.jpg

Extremely nice build... I've always liked the Eagles from space 1999. I had the toy as a child - one of my favorites... but never got into them from a model perspective - altohugh after looking at this I'm rethinking it...

Jedi Dade

That's quite a fetish you have there, Del. I look forward to seeing how the build progresses, 8. That's a sweet-looking piece so far.

I Luvz da Eagles!!!

Side: Whenever I see an Overtly Generous serving of Rare Photos or Detail Info that is hard to come-by, being shared with RPF members, ...chances are Phase Pistol's avatar is present in the upper left hand corner!
What a lung-full of Fresh Air to see references being selflessly Shared instead of Horded for the potential of Profit.
And before some-one gets their ego tied in a knot, I want to add that there are a lot members who share, but Karl's contributions - Definitely & Definitively - go well Above & Beyond the call of those who are truly in-need!

Anyone know where to find a nuclear waste canister in scale with the Product Enterprise freighter eagle?

You can find them for the 12" scale kits.

The Eagle Transporter forum is your complete resource for all things Eagle, you could look around over there

http://www.eagletransporter.com/

"Eagle" posts over here as well.

I would think the waste canister would be an easy scratch build...

Breakwastecans.jpg

Break-CargoEglHov2.jpg

Break-CargoEglHov3.jpg

Well here we go. a few more pics. Been working on the landing pods for the most part. Decided to vacform the tops and bottoms out of .020 styrene and "cap" a poly foam block cut to size. The edges will all be filled with apoxie sculpt and detailed out. Figure on using a few scrap antennas for the leg struts. Gotta figure out the "oleo" mechanism though.
You can see that the rear two pods have not yet been cut. The square brass tubes are the support that goes through the passageway, much like they did with the angle channel on the original models.

.....and still more pics.
Started on some of the detail and assembly of the front end "mechanical" section. Lots of nurnies to be had for sure. The brass tubing on the sides is where the landing pods will attach. The ends of the wire pins you can see sticking out on one end will be to accept the frontmost bulkhead which will also hold and attach the nose. I left it off since its easier to work on that as a separate unit.

Last edited:
Wow its been a while since I was here. I got a PM from Atlanthia asking how this was going. Slowly. Too many projects going on to keep them all on the front burner. I started to re-sculpt the nose, based on better pictures and measurements. I used my inaccurate one as a base to build off of. I also got a few more parts from Shapeways, namely the foot pads, small reaction jets, and engine inserts. I plan on doing the engines as well, and if things don't get easier with the sculpt, I may even do the nose in 3D print as well.

The command module is IMHO the hardest part to accurately scratch build. Yours is looking great by the way! It's certainly coming together now, Mate!
Looks awesome!

Thanks. As it turns out, I am have run out of Apoxie sculpt. Time to decide if I buy more of that + silicone and resin, or spend the time drawing it on the computer and having it 3D printed. It would actually be cheaper to have printed I think. Have to run the numbers.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back