Found an option for chroming at home.

I just came across an excellent chrome spray paint the other day. Halfords acrylic spray paint. It's got an even better shine than Plasticote brilliant metallic chrome and even better, it doesn't dent! The plasticote stuff always leaves finger prints in it for me if it's handled at all (even after months of drying), but this stuff has a pretty rock hard finish. Well pleased. :):thumbsup

Here you go. Using it for doing an endo skull. Photos are without flash in natural light:

ChromePaint1.jpg

To try to show how reflective the finish is:

ChromePaint2.jpg

ChromePaint3.jpg

There's also a gold chrome available in the same line, but I've not seen it in person (the ticket for it is there on the shelf, but it's always out of stock - the chrome shown here seems to be rarely out on the self as well).

I am doing a full terminator endo so i am keeping an eye on this thread. how is that Halford sprey with a clear coat??? so far i still like spaz mirror chrome but it dont wear well and cant do a clear coat so i am hopeing to find something better. even water makes it grey so can you let us know how water or a clear coat effects this???

That's not bad at all! I used to use aluminium tape for terminator heads...it was ok, but had a slightly patchwork quality to it.

Is this paint durable, or could you clear coat it?

Rich

I am doing a full terminator endo so i am keeping an eye on this thread. how is that Halford sprey with a clear coat??? so far i still like spaz mirror chrome but it dont wear well and cant do a clear coat so i am hopeing to find something better. even water makes it grey so can you let us know how water or a clear coat effects this???

That's not bad at all! I used to use aluminium tape for terminator heads...it was ok, but had a slightly patchwork quality to it.

Is this paint durable, or could you clear coat it?

Rich

If you don't mind... how do you like that endoskull kit? Is that the vinyl kit available from the uk? How does that chrome hold with no clear?

From the Halford site:

Halfords enamel spray paint is a universal, all-surface enamel paint that can be used on metal, plastic, ceramic and wood. The colours have RAL reference numbers to help with colour matching and provide a tough, fast drying, durable finish. For best results use in conjunction with Halfords enamel primer and lacquer.

* Suitable for use on metal, plastic ceramic and wood
* Tough durable finish
* Fast drying

Here you go. Using it for doing an endo skull. Photos are without flash in natural light:

ChromePaint1.jpg

To try to show how reflective the finish is:

ChromePaint2.jpg

ChromePaint3.jpg

There's also a gold chrome available in the same line, but I've not seen it in person (the ticket for it is there on the shelf, but it's always out of stock - the chrome shown here seems to be rarely out on the self as well).

mmmm i'm halfrauds favorite customer and i've not seen that stuff in my local.

is it really as durable as you say? defo no finger prints :confused

thanks for the heads up:thumbsup

OK, finally managed to get everything assembled and painted, so here are a few more pics (painted with Halfords acrylic chrome):

Endoskull1.jpg
Endoskull2.jpg

The good news is that it looks great! The bad news is that the finish is not as rock hard as hoped. It's tougher than Plasticote and less liable to denting and fingerprints, but it WILL dent or leave marks if you handle it too much or press it too hard.

Here's a rough 'n' ready comparison:

ChromeComparison.jpg

1st column has been handled heavily - I rubbed my fingers firmly all over that section - a little of the paint came off on my fingertips and the finish is dulled down.

2nd column has had water sprinkled on it all over and then wiped off with a towel after a few seconds. Didn't really affect the finish at all.

I don't have any clearcoat spray, so I covered the 3rd column in a thin layer of matt varnish. It doesn't stick to the paint properly (it pools) and it leaves a horrible finish.

The 4th column is just painted and then has not been tampered with in any way.

Hope this of help to you guys. :)

thanks for you effort, the teeth on the t800 are really well done :thumbsup

I concur... most complain that this is the weakness of the M-1/recasts. The teeth may not be individual but they are a representation of Arnold's actual teeth. I have seen numerous photos of this kit painted and none have teeth that look as good as yours.

Great job on that endoskull all around too.:thumbsup Nice to have another out of the can chrome option. Looks like good stuff.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back