Found an option for chroming at home.

WarpedScale

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This may be old news for some and I've had this stuff for a while now but never said anything about it because I didn't get to try it out until recently.

While looking for a option for replicating that mirrored chrome look, I came upon this stuff called Kosutte Gin-san (sun). Apparently it's sort of powdered metal in possible a wax base? Not sure but it doesn't feel waxy at all.

This is the stuff:
gin-san1.jpg

The instructions tell you to apply to over a coat of gloss black, much like Alclad II or SNJ would suggest. However for my test I just applied it directly to this figure.

This stuff is as fine as baby powder if not finer. As a safety procaution and as the instructions tell you, I worn gloves and a mask.

It adheres REALLY quickly to any and everything but the results were quite amazing.

gin-san2.jpg

The original figure is of course on the right. This was a really fast test so I didn't buff it an extremely long amount of time.

gin-san3.jpg

Not only could I see the reflection of the figure next to the polished figure but I could also see myself and the rest of the room. See above.

Afterwards, out of habit I let it sit to 'dry' even though it's not anything that requires that. As long as I had the gloves on it was a flawless shine. I even buffed a little more into it and it just made it brighter and hardly uses much of the stuff.

However, if I touched it with my bare hands it started to streak and come off slightly, a good washing with a common dish soap and the majority of it was gone. It just left a slight hue of silver on the black. I'm going to test it on some stuff I'll be painting soon to see how well it adheres following the directions completely.

Clean up was really easy but it also gets on and darkens everything. Need to wash my shirt since I got a little on me. >.<

Overall I was quite impressed.

Ryu

So if I understand you right, this gives a chrome finish that you can never touch with your hands? Making the item very fragile, and would not be suited for wearable pieces?

So if I understand you right, this gives a chrome finish that you can never touch with your hands? Making the item very fragile, and would not be suited for wearable pieces?

:lol so far. Haven't tried it on a painted surface yet. It's likely it comes off because on a non-painted surface there is nothing to really stick to. We'll see soon.

Can it be clear coated os something to protect the finish? I realize this usually wipes out any decent fiish with paints, but maybe they have a top coat product specifically for this stuff?
Looks great in the test, just a tough sell if it can never be touched...

Can it be clear coated os something to protect the finish? I realize this usually wipes out any decent fiish with paints, but maybe they have a top coat product specifically for this stuff?
Looks great in the test, just a tough sell if it can never be touched...

the problem with clearcoating over chrome paint is only a problem if you use a spray can as its the solvent in it that reactivated the chrome paint, as this isnt painted , it might work

The finish seems pretty delecate since water removed it... even without a "sticky base". Simply getting it wet may be enough to destroy the luster. However a good test will tell.

It does look pretty darn nice!

Jedi Dade

Last edited:
high hopes for this one let us know on those tests
i have several models i'd use this on if i can coat'em too
thanx for the great linc's HWHW

Ok, I haven't had a chance to test it on a painted black surface but I did try to do clear coat over it with disasterous results. It may have been because I used a lacquer based, one site I found said the only good results they've seen is on really small parts and an acrylic clear coat. Didn't have either handy.

Didn't take pics but the result was that it turned the chrome into a dull sort of gunmetal color. Very dark grey.

However, I did get the Hasegawa Mirror and Gold Mirror stuff in and tested the gold mirror.

To get the review part over, I have to say this stuff is a little expensive (about $13 for gold and $11 for silver) and also only comes with one sheet that's 20cm X 9cm. It is basically an extremely thin sheet of gold chrome plastic that has an adhesive backing and can stretch pretty well over curved surfaces. However, overstretch it and it starts to turn dark transparent. You can smooth it out pretty easy, I would suggest stretching and pulling as you go, and then smoothing.

Here's my test subject:
GOLDranger.jpg

As you can see the original gold on the figure is a very dull dark gold. The sheet went on really easy and took most of the detail. I'm going to give it another shot to see if I can do a better second job. Also if I poked a tiny hole in some obscure unnoticeable part to let the air escape, that helped too.

I'll try to get the other stuff tested as soon as I can along with the silver mirror finish.

Ryu

This is a bit of a hillbilly solution, but couldn't you seal off flat surfaces treated with the chrome polish by stretching transparent plastic wrap/tape over the finish? Not the best solution, but it would prevent the finish from wearing off.

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't been around to let you guys know what's up. Been pretty busy lately.

Nothing new on the powder stuff except that coating it with anything seems to affect the surface in some way.

I did play more with the plastic chrome stuff and it turned out ok:

See the W on this thing:
DSC03329.JPG

Haven't done the powder on something painted yet. I'm sorry I'm such a slacker. >.<

Ryu

This may be old news for some and I've had this stuff for a while now but never said anything about it because I didn't get to try it out until recently.

While looking for a option for replicating that mirrored chrome look, I came upon this stuff called Kosutte Gin-san (sun). Apparently it's sort of powdered metal in possible a wax base? Not sure but it doesn't feel waxy at all.

This is the stuff:
gin-san1.jpg

The instructions tell you to apply to over a coat of gloss black, much like Alclad II or SNJ would suggest. However for my test I just applied it directly to this figure.

This stuff is as fine as baby powder if not finer. As a safety procaution and as the instructions tell you, I worn gloves and a mask.

It adheres REALLY quickly to any and everything but the results were quite amazing.

gin-san2.jpg

The original figure is of course on the right. This was a really fast test so I didn't buff it an extremely long amount of time.

gin-san3.jpg

Not only could I see the reflection of the figure next to the polished figure but I could also see myself and the rest of the room. See above.

Afterwards, out of habit I let it sit to 'dry' even though it's not anything that requires that. As long as I had the gloves on it was a flawless shine. I even buffed a little more into it and it just made it brighter and hardly uses much of the stuff.

However, if I touched it with my bare hands it started to streak and come off slightly, a good washing with a common dish soap and the majority of it was gone. It just left a slight hue of silver on the black. I'm going to test it on some stuff I'll be painting soon to see how well it adheres following the directions completely.

Clean up was really easy but it also gets on and darkens everything. Need to wash my shirt since I got a little on me. >.<

Overall I was quite impressed.

Ryu

Excellent find will be looking for this!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back