The Five Foot POTA Icarus Miniature

From what I remember of those days at Greg's shop, the thing came up to about my neck - so 60" sounds reasonable.

Lol, Creber's the one who told me it was given to Arthur Jacob's widow (or was it Franklin Schaffner's widow). Help me out here, Gene...

I had heard Natalie had it as well..... but I can't remeber if I heard it from Greg or Bill.

Coincidentally, I saw Creber last night at an Academy screening of The Abyss. I spoke to him briefly re: the enduring appeal of his Irwin Allen designs (i.e. the recent Moebius kits) but as always he was pretty dismissive of both Irwin Allen and the fan community in general (his exact words were "I don't get it"). As aging production designers go Creber definitely augers toward the crusty end of the spectrum (unlike Les Dilley, who will keep talking to you about his work until you walk away).

Coincidentally, I talked to him the day after I got my Moebius Seaview, and though I tried to contain my geekitude (I'm not a huge Irwin Allen fan, but I have fond memories of those shows and models), evidently, I didn't do a good enough job. He saw right through the veneer of the compliment I was giving him (on participating in the design of some classic models) and said, "I don't know why you guys collect that crap." And then, we talked for about another 40 minutes......

But the best quote of all from Bill is the response he gave Carson when we were talking about paint colors and what steps the Fox Art Directors took to ensure their color call outs were followed by the painters on the stage. His response was a terse, "Irwin liked orange" followed by a wry smile as he turned and left.......

Gene

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back