Clear Coat over Spray Paint?

Skaught

Sr Member
I'm painting a helmet with glossy paint, but it's not as glossy as I'd like. Can I just spray on a glossy clear coat? Last time I did that, for a small piece, the clear coat remained tacky forever. I sure as heck don't want that to happen as painting this helmet has been a pain!

Scott

I'm painting a helmet with glossy paint, but it's not as glossy as I'd like. Can I just spray on a glossy clear coat? Last time I did that, for a small piece, the clear coat remained tacky forever. I sure as heck don't want that to happen as painting this helmet has been a pain!

Scott

Do not put clear over gloss. I tried this and it turned out terrible.

I was told to use a flat and then clear it.

I've done it but it helps to both match the paint manufacturer and to give at least a few days between coats to ensure you don't get the sticky paint.

Remember - acheiving the BEST possible gloss finish involves extensive surface prep. Wet-sanding into the 1,000-grit to 2,000-grit range.

Even the smoothest wet coat of paint applied that doesn't run and dries in minutes will invariably have almost microspcopic surface deviations that effect sheen.

However, when you begin exceeding the 1,000-grit range in wet sanding, you can obtain a SHINE out of a flat coat. Do that, then come in with your clear.

And don't foget about polishes too...

Note, on the Obi ROTS, and Luke ROTJ, that is Flat Black with 3 coats of Glossy Clearcoat. It just comes out better than Glossy Black IMHO

34zzkn9.jpg

At least in model building, I almost always paint with flat paints, and then gloss coat as needed. I always get better results than painting with gloss paints directly. Plus, I can control the level of gloss more.

I absolutely hate clear coat bought in the store. It's durability is sucks.

I prefer to just wet sand gloss paint till it's smooth and then add several coats of wax.

That being said, if you do want to use clear coat, as already mentioned, it's best to use flat rather than gloss, allow it to dry... honestly I would suggest waiting a few weeks myself, but I'm sure someone will tell me I'm a moron and you don't need to wait that long. Wet sand and then paint.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back