Khan's Necklace

Chief Bast

Jhusel and Funky Jedi's WOK posts got me thinking about other props from the film I'd like to see - namely Khan's necklace.

Apparently there was a member that did these years ago, but a search pulled up nothing.

Anyone have any additional details or know someone that has or still makes these?

I have one that was made and sold by Paramount back when the movie was released. Made of aged brass. I used to have a picture of it up here. I'll dig around and see if I can find it. It's my oldest prop.

Photobucket is blocked here at work, so I don't know if you can still see it. It's in this thread, top of page three.
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?p=642736#post642736

Last edited:
Here is a larger pic of the one I have. It looks very similar to the one at The Experience.

stwokkahnnecklace.jpg

Since Khan is wearing the necklace the first time we see him (before he goes to the Reliant), it pretty much has to be an artifact from the TOS days... even though they didn't wear those type of uniforms in TOS. :lol

Just another continuity glitch.. like how come Khan remembers Chekov, when Walter Koenig didn't join the cast until the SECOND season...

khan01.jpg

khan02.jpg

khan04.jpg

Screengrabs from TrekCore.

Last edited:
Just because WE didn't see Chekov doesn't mean he wasn't on the ship.

After Gary Mitchell went all Godlike, Kirk tried out a bunch of new people for Navigator, until he found Chekov. Promoted to bridge crew.

One of the things I read about WoK was that as things went to hell on Ceti Alpha... six? I'm tired and can't remember, but wherever they got left. As things went to crap, they had to cannabalise the ship they were on for even something as basic as clothing. Could explain the look of the necklace.

Just because WE didn't see Chekov doesn't mean he wasn't on the ship.

Well thanks to JJ Abrams, nothing is true anymore. :lol

Well OK I grant you that there's no specific dialogue in a Star Trek episode that establishes when Chekov joined the crew. Perhaps in the first season, Chekov was always just out of frame, in the next corridor, or had just left the room. Probably Khan ran into him in the men's room. :rolleyes

I will say though, that Walter Koenig has said that he DID know that he had not been working on Star Trek during the first season, so therefore he was not in "Space Seed" and the script for WOK was in error. He claims to have very wisely NOT mentioned this to anybody, because he figured they would just shift over all his lines to Sulu and he would lose out on a plum role. :lol

As to the "technological barbarian" look of Khan and his people, yeah that is a nice touch. After Ceti Alpha Six exploded, "laying waste" to CA5, Khan had nothing but the contents of the "cargo bays" to sustain him.

Incidentally I can't think of any way that Ceti Alpha Six could explode such that Ceti Alpha FIVE could be misaken for that planet. Just another "don't stop to think about it" moment in Wrath of Khan. :lol

- k

I saw Walter Koenig at a con back in the day and he had his own theory about the fact that Chekov wasn't in Space Seed.

According to Walter, Khan had to go to the bathroom really...really bad and Chekov was hogging the throne so to speak. When the door opened and Chekov exited, Khan grabbed him and said "YOU! I will never forget your face!"

No kidding, straight from WK himself.

I remember some book saying he was on the night shift (not that it was cannon or anything), but out of 400 people... It would be easy not to see him. Heck he could have spent that year in a completely unseen part of the ship for all we know. He also manned the science station when Spock wasn't on the bridge.
It also makes sense that since they didn't show every move Khan made, that the two of them could have run into each other. They never show anyone going to the head, but does that mean that they don't do that in the future?

Well, actually if you look at the stardates, Space Seed takes place on stardate 3141.9. Chekhov's first appearance was in Catspaw which takes place on stardate 3018.2. Since several TOS episodes take place out of order, one could assume that Catspaw takes place prior to Space Seed.

So he very well could have been a member of the crew, but not seen during that episode... or the rest of the first season.

As for Khan's necklace... yeah... I guess in some book an author had to come up with an explanation about about the pendant being a gift from the Enterprise crew to McGivers... and oddly enough that pendant was the same size and look of the Starfleet belt buckles 15 years later... well that was just a coincidence.

I tried to think of it as an award or something she had in her possession that was adopted later to become a belt buckle. Or, there was a shipment of supplies sent down to them (unmanned) that had provisions and included some equipment and articles of clothing, etc.
I never cold quite come to grips with the idea that one planet exploded and the next shifted into it's orbit (or close enough) so that a visiting starship would mistake it for the first planet AND not notice a planet was missing from the system!

I can confirm the Chekov story that Walter has told about holding up the bathroom...

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back