Toronto Comic Con Pics

DAVIDYR1

Official Licensee
The show was from Friday to Sunday. We attended with the sole intention of bringing the world of costuming to the public eye. We heavily promoted our 2 main suppliers being Chavant and Smooth-On who have both been very generous to us over the last few years.
We'd also like to thank the organizers of the Toronto Comic Con for collaborating with us on this task.
We weren't selling anything, taking commissions or anything like that. Bring the world of costuming to the public. How it's done, and what is needed.
It's funny, everyone who stopped by who in some way was involved in sculpting or moldmaking was almost completely unaware of these two power house manufacturers. We had a lot of prototype toy makers and scale statue sculptors show up and it seemed all worked with anything but these materials.
After showing the advantages of Chavant clays and Smooth-On moldmaking/Casting materials it is very safe to say that many will now be switching to these to great companies.
Chavant offers a huge range of clays for all types of sculpting and Smooth-On has all the bases covered for molding and casting mediums. We feel very good about how the public responded to our demonstrations showcasing these 2 great manufacturers.
We handed out nearly every sample we had from both companies and all were interested on some level, be it from hobby stand point or from a professional angle. No one walked away with anything unless they had a good explanation of what it's for or how it works. Funny enough, everyone was genuinely interested in the information and wanted to know basically 'OK, what do I do now?'

Although we here use primarily Chavant Soft NSP, the small scale sculptors, (1/3rd or 1/6th scale) were extremely impressed with their Y2Klay and the fact that these clays dont need to be baked when the sculpt is completed. The quality of these clays and range really got everyone's attention.

I'd like to personally thank both Chavant and Smooth-on for their generous contributions to this convention. From a moldmaking stand point alone Smooth-On was a huge success considering almost all the sculptors we spoke to didnt mold their own work but now feel comfortable giving it a try.
Others to thank are Jonathan/Devil in the Pale Moonlight and Emerson/BadLove. Both these guys helped out immensly and were great interacting with the public. Emerson was also doing sculpting demos there and drew quite a crowd as well. Thanks guys. Wouldnt of been able to do this without you.:up

Some pics...more to come as I get them sorted out. These are from Sunday evening about an hour before closing time.

Note the silly smile on my face... :eek: hwell
[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/UniversalDesigns2/display5.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/UniversalDesigns2/display4.jpg[/image]

Oh look...A CANADIAN JEDI stopping by to take pics with the Dark Side..

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/UniversalDesigns2/display7.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/UniversalDesigns2/display6.jpg[/image]

And a very nice gesture from Chavant.

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/catalogue.jpg[/image]

More to come..

David

Dave-

Looks awesome. I am glad you had such a wonderful time and an AWESOME setup too..

You rule.

Talk to you soon

Damian

ps: amanda sends her love

Awesome display.

I never get tired of seeing that Spawn suit. The movie was meh but that suit rocks.

Looks like I was there too, in picture form. hehe

Great stuff as always David.

I was able to attend the Con and had the distinct pleasure of meeting David in the flesh. There was a fun little moment where we introduced ourselves by our screen names. :lol I have to say that his projects look even better in person than the pictures I've seen online. The Begins suit was great to see in person, and the cowl is incredibly stretchy. I actually saw David put it on and then pull the upper mask right back over his head A LA Bruce Wayne. You know, full head sticking out through the chin opening of the cowl while the rest sits behind his neck. Very tough materials, and great execution by the maker. I was more than a little impressed.

The booth was great, and a suitable showcase for a lot of talent. I couldn't make the prop party, but was glad to run into this at the Con. Leather batman coats, X-men coats, sculpts, Predator, Spawn, all manner of fun stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing more of David's work for sure.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darthgoat @ May 1 2006, 09:46 PM) [snapback]1236663[/snapback]</div>

[/b]

Heh heh. I was like... hey... I recognize that pic...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DAVIDYR1 @ May 1 2006, 07:06 PM) [snapback]1236482[/snapback]</div>
Oh look...A CANADIAN JEDI stopping by to take pics with the Dark Side..
[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/UniversalDesigns2/display7.jpg[/image]
[/b]

Did you sculpt her? That is the most kickass sculpt ever. THAT DOES IT. I'm switching to Chavant...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darthgoat @ May 1 2006, 09:46 PM) [snapback]1236663[/snapback]</div>
Awesome display.

I never get tired of seeing that Spawn suit. The movie was meh but that suit rocks.

Great stuff as always David.
[/b]

Thanks Guys..
Oh and Goat...sorry buddy. Someone emailed this photo to me a while back and I ended up having it printed at the very last minute and totally forgot to ask you if it was cool for me to use. You and go back a bit so I 'figured' it would be OK...hope you didnt mind. :)

FETTCLONE thanks for stopping by. How funny was it when we realized we were both RPF'ers. Great meeting you and come see us again at the next show.:)

Got a few more pics...

This Jango is all scratch built. Everything including the helmet out of 12 gauge steel. He hand stitched the leather parts and put on a great show for the costume contest. He even had working rocket launchers from the guantlets that of course, weren't set up to fire at the show. The only off the shelf parts were the Hasbro toy guns. :) Talk about keeping the spirit alive.... We were part of the judges at the costume contest and we all agreed that this guy deserved 1st prize.

Untitled-27.jpg

This guy here was a blast. He was really into Wolverine, had the funky hair...well a bit more than just funky but you get the idea...and Devil in the Pale Moonlight says to me "hey Dave, check that guy out. How cool would he look with your jacket?" So, when he stopped by we asked him to try the jacket on...well, he didnt want to give it back...LOL.... Nice guy. Even from Alberta just like the real Wovie....

wolviedude.jpg

And some more booth/sculpting pics. Fun weekend. Hope to see you all at the Festival of Fear the first weekend of September....

frontb.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

David

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DAVIDYR1 @ May 5 2006, 05:49 AM) [snapback]1238807[/snapback]</div>
Thanks Guys..
Oh and Goat...sorry buddy. Someone emailed this photo to me a while back and I ended up having it printed at the very last minute and totally forgot to ask you if it was cool for me to use. You and go back a bit so I 'figured' it would be OK...hope you didnt mind. :)

[/b]

I don't mind at all. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JHVanOphem @ May 5 2006, 10:54 AM) [snapback]1238896[/snapback]</div>
So David you aren't going to Dragon*Con?
[/b]

No, not this year. The show coincides with DC and I've decided on that commitment this year. Will miss all you guys and fun times but, this should be cool this year also.

David
PS...thanks Goat.

That sucks man. I was hopin to have a brew with ya again this year.

Let me know if you are ever down around Chicago.

Damn. I wanted to make it to the show this year but I wasn't able to. That booth looks wicked, I would have loved to check it out and see you guys again. Great stuff. I'll take the Jedi girl's number if you have it ;)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back