Best glue for resin?

What kind of super glue are you using?

I only ask because for resin I 99.9% of the time use super glue and in my experience there is nothing better. I pick up a FRESH bottle of Cyanoacrelate, CA, aka... Super glue at least once a month. I use gap filling and thin for the most part. Gap filling for filling medium to large gaps and filling small holes. The thin is for everything else. It runs into cracks and in between parts.

If you are having problems with CA, I would

A ) Get a new bottle. I would recommend getting it from someplace like HobbyTown USA or the like as their stock is constantly being renewed so you get fresh stuff.

B ) Rough sand the areas to be joined to give the CA something to bite into

C ) Clean the parts to be joined again.

My comments are assuming you are having a problem with things staying joined. If this is not the case please disregard :p

Greg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnythingSciFi @ Apr 30 2006, 09:40 PM) [snapback]1236181[/snapback]</div>
I have used super glue and 2 part epoxy but I am looking for something better.
What do you guys use?

Kenny
[/b]

Ah but wait JDH, here's the important question... what type of "Super glue" are you using Kenny? Are you using a super glue that you picked up at the local superstore chain, or are you using a true CA glue?? The stuff you find at Wallyworld and the other non-hobby stores isn't a full strength CA glue. You'll want to find a store that carries the glues that are specifically marked as a CA glue. There are several companies out there that produce the full strength stuff, ZAP, Hot Stuff, etc., but the one thing they all make sure to mention is that they're a true CA glue.

And thanks for mentioning my alma mater there JDH, hehe ;)

Oh and another trick to making yor glue last longer... refridgerate it.. CA is activated by air so if you slow down the air molecules you also lengthen the time that the bottle will last. You do have to remember to take the bottle out ahead of time before you start to build though. This works the best for the larger bottles of CA as opposed to the 1/4 or 1/2 ounce ones....

In all of my years building resin kits, the only two types of glues I've ever needed were CA's and a nice 2-part epoxy.

Cheers..

I have been using the Original Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) but I usually get the .7oz tubes.
It works pretty good but I had a couple of piecies snap off one of my Han blasters. So I whipped out the 2 part epoxy and slapped it back together.

I was just wondering if I was doing it correctly by using super glue.

Kenny

(EDIT) I did get the glue at a super chain, but it was Home Depot annd not Wallyworld.

Find a Hobby Town USA near you and get some true CA and you will not have any issues :)

JDH

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnythingSciFi @ May 3 2006, 01:05 AM) [snapback]1237394[/snapback]</div>
I have been using the Original Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) but I usually get the .7oz tubes.
It works pretty good but I had a couple of piecies snap off one of my Han blasters. So I whipped out the 2 part epoxy and slapped it back together.

I was just wondering if I was doing it correctly by using super glue.

Kenny

(EDIT) I did get the glue at a super chain, but it was Home Depot annd not Wallyworld.
[/b]

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back