How to make foam stiff

Does the soft foam have open pores or does it already have a smooth skin?
I think that what you are looking for is some kind of easy-flowing resin that seeps into the pores and then hardens. If it is already skinned, then you would have to build a hard shell on the surface or recast it (if allowed to).

guys im not dealing with styrofoam this is nerf material you know nerf footballs.Do any of you think pour over resin would work?Heres what Im working with
l12e6f1a73d124d188e240c.jpg
What im worried about is if I do pour over resin will all the detail be lost like the cyclo rings and such.

Have you tried spray Plasti-dip? I would try it on a sacrifice piece first (i.e. a nerf football if nothing else) to make sure it doesn't attack the foam. It's flexible in a thin layer but will stiffen up when applied in multiple layers. It's what all the Batman guys use after gluing the latex castings to their undersuits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the soft foam have open pores or does it already have a smooth skin?
I think that what you are looking for is some kind of easy-flowing resin that seeps into the pores and then hardens. If it is already skinned, then you would have to build a hard shell on the surface or recast it (if allowed to).

If you are allowed to make a mold of this piece
I say make a silicone mold and cast it in resin with
a fiber glass backing

Hi,
Dig or cut out the back of the foam section by section and apply resin to the back side untill it is fully supported, then apply a fiberglass layer. Adding resin to the out side would just cover the detail.

Hope this helps,

HMS Mike

Thanks guys I have 3 of these the one pictured has been plastidiped but the other 2 have not there still poris what I wanna do is make the outside a hard shell as much as possible so ill kick a few of these ideas around on some spair foam peices i have and see what happens so thanks guys you have given me some very good ideas.Thats why I love the rpf so much info and great people willing to help each other out Thanks again guys

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want the shell hard a spray polyurethane coating would work... You might be able to check with a couple of the places that do the spray on bedliner... you might be able to find a place willing to work with you to get the effect you want.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back