How to make foam stiff

M

mike1860

Question guys ive got a proton pack body molded in nerf foam is there any paint or chemical I can put on this to make it hard Im not looking to keep it squishy the stiffer the better I know theres a chemical you can spray on styrofoam to make it hard is there anything out there guys?

if you're looking to go cheap I heard that you could use Elmers Spray Glue... TRY THIS ON SOMETHING YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT FIRST!!!! I've never tried it before. If that's a no go... maybe the clear acrylic stuff they encase butterflies and junk in to make paperweights... but that's just a thought.
Bummer is you have to worry about getting paint to stick to this after your done!
Have you given any thought to maybe cutting out balsa wood peices to cover the foam and paint those?

I knew when I posted this someone would make a joke just didnt think if have 3 good replys and the rest of 2 pages be jokes but anywho anyone have any ideas on how to make this nerf foam more dence have more bulk ?

Epoxy resin with some fiberglass mat, it's alot more work. But should give you what your looking for.

I don't know what your end result will be but you could also try spackle. Works great on foam, and easy to sand.

You can also try sculptorcoat
http://www.rosebrand.com/product726...d=195&idx=2680&tid=1&info=Texture+%26+Coating

I have used ureshell and sculptorcoat both

2-Part Urethane, Hard Shell Foam Coating

UreShell is our latest offering in fine foam coatings. UreShell is a marvelous hard-coat, 2-part, urethane-based coating. Its average 25-minute pot life allows for rolling or brushing. Applications cover both interior and exterior surfaces. It leaves a hard, glossy, smooth shell finish. It works great on props, backdrops, signs, molds, etc. One gallon covers approximately 320 sq. feet at 5 mil thickness. Dries to a tan color and can be finished-coated with most all paints and synthetic stucco.

sculptorcoat
A versatile, non-toxic, water-based plastic cream for tough, flexible coating, texturing and sculpting. Can be used as an adhesive, a sculpting medium, a filler or to add texture, and air drys to a clear or translucent finish (depending upon thickness of application). Useful for scenery and prop-making, tints, stains or dyes, as well as other textures (such as glitter, sand or sawdust, for example) can be added making Sculpt or Coat® an extremely adaptable artistic medium.
one neat thing about sculpt or coat is, if you need to paint it with spray paint
the paint will not flake off even if the part you covered with sculpt or coat
flexes.

I was pleased with both products.

TK648

guys im not dealing with styrofoam this is nerf material you know nerf footballs.Do any of you think pour over resin would work?Heres what Im working with
l12e6f1a73d124d188e240c.jpg
What im worried about is if I do pour over resin will all the detail be lost like the cyclo rings and such.

guys im not dealing with styrofoam this is nerf material you know nerf footballs.Do any of you think pour over resin would work?Heres what Im working with What im worried about is if I do pour over resin will all the detail be lost like the cyclo rings and such.

Yes, if you use viscous resin a lot of detail and sharpness will be lost. If you use something thinner, then less so.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back