Darth Maul Damaged Saber (completed)

Clutch

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Since no one noticed the other thread, I figured I'd make a new one. I've had Roman's damaged Maul saber forever and since Ray will be in my neck of the woods soon, I figured I'd finish it.

I was wondering if I could get an opinion on something. I didn't care for the large, red crystal in the emitter, so I thought I would cobble something together.

I have come up with two different options. I will put a roller from a DVD player inside and either put a camera part or a smaller crystal on the end of it.

Parts:
maul1z.jpg

Option A:
Camera part. Makes it look more real and believable to me.
maul4z.jpg

maul5z.jpg

Option B:
Red crystal. I really like the way the reflections show up on the emitter.
maul2z.jpg

maul3z.jpg

Which one looks better?

Last edited:
Re: Darth Maul Damaged Saber

Crystal, if anything.
My own preference would be to have the crystal at least two inches in, if possible, with some electronic-looking things lining the shaft down to it.

I never liked the idea of looking down the emitter and seeing the crystal.

I'd go with Option A. I always assumed the crystals were closer to the emitter area, and thus shouldn't be visible where this saber is cleaved.

Option A it is. Thanks for the input, everyone. This whole saber is stylized, so I don't mind it sticking out too much. If I get tired of it, I can take it out to. :) Now to cobble together some guts for the cut end.

maul6.jpg

maul7.jpg

maul8.jpg

maul9.jpg

Yeah you would never see the crystal in a lightsaber unless it had a window like the Starkiller version. That first pic on this page looks good.

Vote for the first one, too.

If anything, perhaps work the visible crystal into the back of the saber...

Coolness. I have made a decision to not have any crystals visible on this thing. My big concern now is having the cut end look right. Do I leave it 'open' with small bits and bobs visible, or make it all compact and filled in? The cut ones I've seen make it look as though the designers anticipated it being cut in that area.

If you wanna go with the look of the saber violently cut in halfs, then I would recommend to add some bits and pieces of scorched guts.
Like Vaders hand in ROTJ but not that excessive...

I know all of the Battle Droids got sliced with a clean cut but where would be the challenge for you... :)

I know all of the Battle Droids got sliced with a clean cut but where would be the challenge for you... :)

I would go with a clean cut. All you would need to do is cut all the detail pieces with a cutting wheel and then make sure everything is flush with the end of the saber. I'm not sure if you had wires though whether they should have the insulation melted or not. Not having a real lightsaber, I couldn't tell you how much heat a quick cut would produce. :lol

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back