Y oh Y oh Y & its over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Cowen

Sr Member
I've only been home for 2 days & already I'm itching to get started n a build. I got a Nieson Y kit from another RPF member a while back & its no longer sat in the box. work started on the clean up today & getting all the parts fitted together (repaired & original kit parts added). There is some damage here & there but altogether its not too bad. Still not decided which its to be but I'm edging towards Gold Leader? It will be a slow build but i will do my best to add each step of the painting as I go. Its my first venture into Y land so fingers crossed I can do it justice. :cool

Last edited:
Re: Y oh Y oh Y

Yaaaaay

It will be another fun buildup to see !
You will do some killer paintjob in this one, it will be very interesting to see !

Thanks Julien, I will do my best, I'm already struggling with my lack of knowledge of this ship. I've got some ref but not much. I'm going to try & get it built as fast as I can as with all my builds its the painting that really gets me going. I've been reeding through the Y threads to find out some info.
There some stuff I need to know if anyone can help?
How long & what size is needed for the plastruct t bar
Whats the best material to make the piping with?

I did have an email with this info but cant find it........Looser!

Also got one of these waiting in the long paint queue (since 2005...:rolleyes), so I can´t wait to see what you´ll do with yours! Then again, after seeing yours, I´ll be intimidated.:unsure I keep waiting for my painting skills to unfold...:lol Don´t want to ruin my grail kit. I´ll buy one of the new ones though when they´ll become available, then there´ll be no excuse to keep this one waiting. Maybe after the B-Wing...:)

I just ordered all the bits I need so hopefully it wont be too long before they arrive.
Get it painted Daniel, the best way to improve is to jump in at the deepend, you can always start again if your not happy. Its the other way round for me its the building that intimerdates me, I cant get enough of the painting. I've got this great habit of placing unglued parts together to see how they look then coming back 10 min later picking it up & smashing a piece on the floor. I've done it twice today already....looser!

I just ordered all the bits I need

May I ask what bits you´re talking about? I got me a new buttplate and some new guns for building the "Smithonian Y". Still need some part from a F1 engine (Lotus JPS MKIII or Tyrell Sixwheeler) to replace the LEM.
I made the piping from Plastruct tubing with metal inserts, though I´m not sure I got the correct size tubing in some places (pic).
I also sanded all the small plates off the cockpit pod, replaced them with correct ones and scribed new panel lines. Guess I´m more of a builder person, not a painter!:lol

Hope this doesn´t distract from your thread, post some pics please!:)

BTW, if you need reference of Gold Leader, there´s not much out there as far as I know, but here´s some pics. Leaves you some freedom in painting...;)

Nothing major, just the T track, tubing & aluminum for the front guns. Your build looks fantastic & clean, now get some paint on it?

Thanks for the pics daniel, there is a couple I didn't have, cool. I think I'm edging towards Gold 5 now, it seems to be a lesser covered paint job.

I am definitely going to be watching this thread!! I sold my MR Y awhile back and picked up Steve's kit on Ebay.

When people do the piping do you normally glue it up then paint it on the model of shape & dry fit it, then paint it & glue it in. Been working on the piping all day but just cant decide which will be easiest? Its slowly coming together but its on hold now till I get back from my vacation. It will be Gold 5 for definite.

I'm using styrene rod for the tubing (not the hollow stuff).

I made my piping Guy, had it all bent spot on, then made tiny spot drill marks where they were applied.
I painted my model, then, painted each pipe, and applied, they just snapped into each corresponding hole, and then i tacked with CA, made for a much neater build, and made painting a breeze!

lee

Thanks mate, thats kind a the way I'm going. already some pin hole to hold the pipe in place, just finding it a bugger to keep the 1.5mm rods in shape. There really is an art to this stuff. All good fun, I just cant wait to get painting...hmmm may take it on holiday with me?????

Some quick shots of where I'm at. All the piping just moved as I had to pick it up to take the pic so it looks a bit scruffy, this isn't how it will look when it's all in the correct position..........I hope?????

I'm really starting to love the Y & its the first build that I have really studied the ref material other than to paint. There are some original kit parts that came with the Y but I have no idea where they go, & I have looked hard. Also there is no kit detail behind the main cockpit (where it joins the body, highlighted in RED) any advice on what kits I could use in these area's would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014-3.jpg

redY.jpg

IMG_0016-1.jpg

Bits.jpg

Thanks for putting up the great pictures. Now I know - I have to try and pick one of these up if I can.

The tubing's lovely. Enjoy the paint!

That looks very promising! Always love to watch Y threads. Piping looks great as well.

Will you adjust all the small raised panels on the cockpit to portray Gold 5?

And sorry, no idea on which details go behind the cockpit. I suppose Steve could provide this part, if you´re willing to wait a few years...:lol

The most important Gold 5-specific detail IMO is the wheel that replaces the LEM, got any idea what part this is?

Can´t wait for the release of the V2 SS Y...

Hey Guy

Dunno if this helps with your missing detail, but here's some pics of that area on my Y.
I can't positively ID any parts apart from the sort of up-side-down U-shaped part in the center of this pic, between the two thinner pipes.. it's from the Tamiya 8 rad.
ysmall2.jpg

And a pic of each side..I reckon you could cobble together a pretty good fill-in for this no problem..unless the Y experts can shed some light for you..
ysmall1.jpg

ysmall3.jpg

Anyway..there you go..

Looking forward to the rest of the build, it's gonna be great !

Cheers

Phil

25 pdr Field Gun, Front hull of Nichimo Jagdtiger, and some bits from the Panzer III M/N.

You are all legends, IM on vacation so can't hang round as I'll get shouted at. Thanks so much fellas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back