How do I remove print "ink" from plastic

Fulcrum

I have a plastic clear baby bottle I want to use
on a project,but I need to remove the print off it
with out scratching or clouding the bottle.

I tried brake fluid and wd-40 with no luck.

Ive had to do this numerous times. What works quickly and easily is the kicker/accelerator for CA glue. Try it on a test bunny first but it should spray on and just wipe off once the first layer is loose.

I agree... try alcohol or CA kicker. Depending on the plastic, you can try acetone. Again, try it on a test piece before using it on your final project.

I removed the ink printing from my black plastic Sony remote commanders to make the President's phone from Fifth Element by first sanding with 800grit then polishing with automotive resin polish.

+1 for the "magic erasers'

I made a vintage Slave 1 toy look like new with one of those.

The generic ones seem to work the best.

Cheers!

Mike

Ive also got a question about a plastic toy that Ive tried to get super glue off of. What happened is that I was trying to reglue a broke action figure accessory which I mistakenly got glue around the wrong end and then I tired to quickly wash the glue off of it (the wrong side). Well it dried so fast that I had a layer that built up over the edge and the color of the glue was noticable too. I have asked people places and knowone seems to know of a product anywhere that I could use chemical wise that would disolve and get rid of the glue without ruining the plastic toy accessory or fading or removing the original toy factory paint. I really just want to get the finish on the toy back to normal and remove all of the glue where I can just re-glue the broken piece again with perfection.
Is there any advice here thats been tested and would work. I would appreciate any help.

I really just want to get the finish on the toy back to normal and remove all of the glue where I can just re-glue the broken piece again with perfection.
Is there any advice here thats been tested and would work. I would appreciate any help.

The problem with superglue is that it can melt plastics. If there's been a color or texture change on the surface, it might have already removed some of the paint or finish, if I'm reading your description correctly. In the past, I've used acetone to help removed built-up superglue, but with very limited success. And that would be almost certain to remove the paint. Even non-acetone polish remover would probably remove paint as well.

There is a liquid specifically made to remove super glue, but I don't know how it will react to the material/paint the glue is on.

As for the original post, how about zit cream? Seriously, it's made with peroxide and other chemicals, and it's gentle enough for one's face, maybe that could work? Try on a scrap first.

I've been using normal nailpolish remover (WITH acetone). It works amazing and has not damaged any of my star wars figures, new or vintage. What am I missing here, everyone online says never use acetone?!

never never never use acetone - it will eat the plastic. I have been bitten more than once.

anyway - on the subject of kicker - just what exactly is that stuff chemically I mean? It smells so familiar, and I thought it was the WD-40 smell, but experimenting with WD-40 to kick CA did not work. Is there a commonly available chemical equivalent to Kicker?

I've been using normal nailpolish remover (WITH acetone). It works amazing and has not damaged any of my star wars figures, new or vintage. What am I missing here, everyone online says never use acetone?!

Different plastics different reactions, if the acetone does react with your plastic it will be devastating and instant...

Short story, when I did home remodeling, I had this client that called us out every year to sand, polish and resurface his bathrooms Corian (aka plastic) sink top... His wife just couldn't get it through her head that her nail polish remover was bubbling, pitting and staining the surface... One of those WTF jobs because it wasn't just a one time gig, I can vividly remember at least 3 or 4 occasions, and my boss said he had done it several times previous...

So the short of it most people advise not to use acetone because it's very aggressive, there are generally less aggressive solvents that will do the job... On clear plastics I have seen acetone frost it white or at minimum 'smear' the top surface requiring it to be buffed back out...

As always TEST! There is never any one right solvent for every application...

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back