Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon!

Thanks for the kindness.

It's funny though, a couple of people have hated the rock base, because it covered up some of the detail.

It's about a 50/50 split as to what people like.

The hand weighs about 4 lbs, and the base weighs in around 7 or so.

As long as the hand itself can be removed from the rock, that'd be the base I'd want. I like it because it harkens back to the scene where they first found it.

I know I was really excited when I heard QMX was going to be offering one and bummed when it never materialized. I'm hoping this one makes it into mass production. ;)

-B89! :D

Well, I never hated the "big cupcake" I just preferred to have the sculpture more free standing because so much of the detail is near the bottom of the armbones.

After much kvetching and back and forth and artistic feelings being callously being tread upon, Madrobot came up with what I believe is an ingenious compromise: The disk/pedestal base with an amnonite topper.

I'm attaching the sketch Madrobot originally drew up for the project. I sort of expected a more "L" shaped base that the hand would sort of slide into with a rock/fossil sheet behind it.

Still think that would look cool.

Last edited:
I'm with Outlander on this one. Plus, to see the metal support rods helps put me in the frame of "museum display". I like when there's a clear separation so one can study the artifact from all angles. I hate when museums obscure detail, too.

That said, the ammonite topper looks nice. :)

I like having display options.

I may revisit this piece at a later date and create the kind of background base that I originally designed.

I have no real preference where the hand is concerned. That's where the focus should be, and not on the base.

Just to toss my 2 cents in, I also like the rock base as well.

Good luck with the project Madrobot....If it pans out, Ill definitely be picking one of these up!

We'll see what happens. Thanks DS, I'm glad people have love for the Creature franchise. When I was a little kid, I saw the movie. I think I was probably about 4 or 5.

Anyway, what scared me wasn't the creature, it was that horrible sound it made. I saw the movie again probably 20 or so years later, and realized that it was really a movie about the unrequited love between a woman and a fish man.

Meaning, the fish man was in love, and she wasn't having anything to do with it. Kind of like an aquatic King Kong.

The company we talked to Is NOT Interested in revisiting old licenses, and took a pass on the piece.

Last edited:
Having worked with Universal and my fair share of prop companies, might I suggest not giving play by plays on would-be license work.

License holders like to give their own press releases and tend to frown upon pending proprietary information being tossed about on the net.

Since you're really just trying to provide a prototype, you risk spooking the straights, is all I'm sayin'

-Rylo

There might be a new development. Stay tuned folks.

Having worked with Universal and my fair share of prop companies, might I suggest not giving play by plays on would-be license work.

License holders like to give their own press releases and tend to frown upon pending proprietary information being tossed about on the net.

Since you're really just trying to provide a prototype, you risk spooking the straights, is all I'm sayin'

-Rylo

The new development pertains to some extra stuff that goes with the sculpt.

Have you got those B. T. stencils done yet? I'm getting ready to stencil my crate with the stencil I've already got just so I can have it done.

J.

I think I'll stencil one side of the crate with the stencil I've got and see how it turns out. I know its a bit larger than the stencil you've used. If it sucks, we can always build a new crate or strip this one, right?

Speaking of stripping a crate, I'm feeling that these need to be grayed and aged or something. It's just not feeling like a crate from fifty five years ago to me.

Maybe we should include a mummified tarantula or scorpion inside it. :love

J.

crateensemble.jpg

mycrate.jpg

I made the stencil here at home, and stenciled up my crate. There's some other things that are going to be added to the mix pretty quickly.

I have been thinking a lot about the crate.

My film nerdhood calls to mind two iconic film crates. The crate that the Lost Ark of the covenant is packed into in Raiders, and the crate under the stairs in Creepshow's THE CRATE.

I like the look of the small lettering on THE CRATE.

Before it begins, I am well aware that the 1st crate is not the Raiders crate.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back