Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon!

I found the hand here are a few photos, I did mine about 10 years ago been wanting to darken the paint job some what. Also my Ben Chapman tribute kit I just finished today!:thumbsup

Hey Madrobot,

I've had good luck aging a similar crate (to display my Grail); I did some random gouges with a large flat-head screwdriver, flattened out the corners/edges with a hammer, then beat the crap out of it on my gravel driveway to the great amusement of my mailman - basically scraping each side against the gravel, leaning into each side and twisting it into the gravel until it looked "well traveled". I then made a batch of strong instant coffee and applied it with a foam brush, saturating a side and then immediately wiping it off with a rag until I'd finished the crate inside & out. I repeated this on the outside so the inside would look aged but less so and "protected" from the hazards of temple raiding...

I similarly aged the raffia the grail's packed in (though I used a very large sponge and applied it to the raffia in a trash bag - it's effective but very messy) .

...And I've gotta heap some more praise onto you - that fossil hand is phenomenal!!! :eek

Take care,
Mike

Hey Madrobot,

I've had good luck aging a similar crate (to display my Grail); I did some random gouges with a large flat-head screwdriver, flattened out the corners/edges with a hammer, then beat the crap out of it on my gravel driveway to the great amusement of my mailman - basically scraping each side against the gravel, leaning into each side and twisting it into the gravel until it looked "well traveled". I then made a batch of strong instant coffee and applied it with a foam brush, saturating a side and then immediately wiping it off with a rag until I'd finished the crate inside & out. I repeated this on the outside so the inside would look aged but less so and "protected" from the hazards of temple raiding...

I similarly aged the raffia the grail's packed in (though I used a very large sponge and applied it to the raffia in a trash bag - it's effective but very messy) .

...And I've gotta heap some more praise onto you - that fossil hand is phenomenal!!! :eek

Take care,
Mike

Thanks for the info. What I'm looking to do, is take the color out of the wood, and make it gray, like an old barn board thing. Of course, had I used barn boards, it would have been easier.

Does anyone here know Andy Gore from QMx?

Thanks for the info. What I'm looking to do, is take the color out of the wood, and make it gray, like an old barn board thing. Of course, had I used barn boards, it would have been easier.

I don't know how the water is in your area, but in mine, it's very hard. You can see the discoloring on *all* the fences in my neighborhood, according to the sprinkler spray.

From that, I gather you could probably just spray it with water regularly and leave it outside in the sun to bake and discolor. Of course, this is the slow way. :lol

Actually, Luis De La Fuente (GreyZon) deliberatly sculpted it that size out of respect to Bob Burns who let him study the original prop. He didn't want anyone trying to pass it off as an original. also, THIS sculpture is TRULY awesome!!! great job!!Ed-209

Obviously, no disrespect was intended toward Bob Burns. My unhappiness with the original Greyzon prop - even though Dean Dymerski did a bang-up job on the paint - was the size disparity.

Without access to the actual prop, the best that could be done was to use measurements from the actual land suit with some scaling from blown up screen captures that were printed up. Everything that could be seen from this indicated that the real prop back in 1954 was not all that detailed in comparison to Madrobot's sculpt. Nor was the Greyzon sculpt ideal.

The quest was to try and reproduce what an actual Devonian age limestone fossil of Homo Amphibious would look like. The goal of the end prototpe is to duplicate the experience of a crate shipped from Instituto de Biologica Maratima to the Smithsonia or Chicago Field museum showing up on someone's front porch instead, after 55 years in limbo, instead of the original intended destination back in 1954.

Some thought was given to printing the newspaper in Portugese, the native language in Brazil. Purchacers of the piece could translate it or not, as desired

Last edited:
Hmmmmm. I just had a very interesting conversation with Ed-209, an old salt in the world of props for those of you who do not know him. A font of information I wish I had thought to consult earlier on this.

There might be further developements with this sculpt and project.

J.

What I'm looking to do, is take the color out of the wood, and make it gray, like an old barn board thing.

Micromark sells some chemical aging solutions for wood - only problem is that they only come in 3.5 - 4 oz. bottles. It would probably take a hell of a lot of it to do a crate that size, so it would get expensive real quick.

http://www.micromark.com/AGE-IT-EASY-GRAY-3-1and2-FL-OZ,7567.html

http://www.micromark.com/WEATHER-IT-4-FL-OZ,7266.html

I haven't tried them personally, but I've always been curious to see how well they might work - I've had an idea for a while for a small crate/box, and I was going to try this stuff.

That's a beautiful piece you've got there. :love

Hi Joe,
Here's a pic of Bob Burns with the original prop.
ed-209

BobBurns_Creature-Handa.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like at one point that it was broken off at the bottom.

It is my thought that there was more than one of these hand props made for the movie.

For the size issue, you have to figure they made it similar around to the costume size. It would have to be large enough to match up to the costume hand the actor wore. I expect it would be a big piece .

It's official. I'm not happy with my size. I'm talking about the size of my Greyzon, of course.

Great looking piece.

No worries. Thanks for the comments.

Not sure where this thing is going at this point. Will be posting some finished pictures later on this evening.

Here's some pics of the piece with a more vanilla base, and an ammonite base that I sculpted.

ammbasedetail.jpg

finwammbase1.jpg

This is without the Ammonite Topper on the base. I made 3 bases for this piece.

finwvanbase.jpg

finwvanbase2.jpg

And a detail shot of the hand.

hadndetail.jpg

Vs... The Rock Base.

finalproto.jpg

I like the rock base also that really is a nice sculpt! You really nailed it I need to rework mine since I've seen your:angry!! LOL All your work is top notch I really envy you guys on this forum!:thumbsup

I agree, I really like the rock base as well.

I'm really wanting one of these! Very well done, bud!! ;)

-B89! :D

Thanks for the kindness.

It's funny though, a couple of people have hated the rock base, because it covered up some of the detail.

It's about a 50/50 split as to what people like.

The hand weighs about 4 lbs, and the base weighs in around 7 or so.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back