Fossil Hand From Creature From The Black Lagoon!

Bronze Apoxie. It's 1:1 scale, and weighs about 4lbs.

WOW, I had no idea such stuff was available.

I read some info on Bronze Apoxie and it says the drying time is about 24 hrs...Did you have to race against time to finish the sculpt before it hardened, or did you do it in sections?

Also, is that the natural color of the bronze apoxie or did you have to touch it up with paint ?

(Sorry for all the questions)

Nice, but there wouldn't be any webbing, that's skin which would have gone bye-bye a long time ago. How about a "stuffed" hand which would have the webbing in tact?

Actually...

"The anaerobic conditions [of a lake, swamp, lagoon, or marsh] prevent many animals from living at the bottom, preventing scavenging and aerobic bacterial decay. Accordingly, this results in a high degree of fossil articulation and, in some cases, soft-tissue preservation." (p. 207)

"Mineralization ... can occur rapidly, anywhere from a few hours to a few years. [...] Dinosaur fossils with preservation of soft tissue exemplify the best evidence for fast rates of mineralization. This mode of preservation required anaerobic conditions and probable bacterial mediation of chemical reactions that fixed certain elements to make a recognizable facsimile of the original organic structure." (p. 209)

"If diagenesis happened rapidly enough, so that phosphatic minerals replaced the original organic material, a pseudomorph of soft tissues (such as muscles) can be preserved. This type of preservation gives more of a three-dimensional character to the parts than mere carbonization." (p. 210)

Enjoy your hand webbing. It's both plausible and possible, especially considering the fact that the creature came from a lagoon. :) And by the way, looks terrific!

All quotes above from the textbook "Introduction to the Study of Dinosaurs," by Anthony J. Martin, 2nd edition. Published by Blackwell publishing. I loved this class. :)

damn nice work! and a great piece
the kind of thing I always want to see more of

now all you need is a t-100 endo arm, and ponda boba's arm, and luke's hand and you can have a collection of:
"Famous Arms from the movies"

damn nice work! and a great piece
the kind of thing I always want to see more of

now all you need is a t-100 endo arm, and ponda boba's arm, and luke's hand and you can have a collection of:
"Famous Arms from the movies"

And Vaders, and Anakins..

WOW, I had no idea such stuff was available.

I read some info on Bronze Apoxie and it says the drying time is about 24 hrs...Did you have to race against time to finish the sculpt before it hardened, or did you do it in sections?

Also, is that the natural color of the bronze apoxie or did you have to touch it up with paint ?

(Sorry for all the questions)

Just black paint. The castings are actually prettier.

Actually...

"The anaerobic conditions [of a lake, swamp, lagoon, or marsh] prevent many animals from living at the bottom, preventing scavenging and aerobic bacterial decay. Accordingly, this results in a high degree of fossil articulation and, in some cases, soft-tissue preservation." (p. 207)

"Mineralization ... can occur rapidly, anywhere from a few hours to a few years. [...] Dinosaur fossils with preservation of soft tissue exemplify the best evidence for fast rates of mineralization. This mode of preservation required anaerobic conditions and probable bacterial mediation of chemical reactions that fixed certain elements to make a recognizable facsimile of the original organic structure." (p. 209)

"If diagenesis happened rapidly enough, so that phosphatic minerals replaced the original organic material, a pseudomorph of soft tissues (such as muscles) can be preserved. This type of preservation gives more of a three-dimensional character to the parts than mere carbonization." (p. 210)

Enjoy your hand webbing. It's both plausible and possible, especially considering the fact that the creature came from a lagoon. :) And by the way, looks terrific!

All quotes above from the textbook "Introduction to the Study of Dinosaurs," by Anthony J. Martin, 2nd edition. Published by Blackwell publishing. I loved this class. :)

Judging by your post, I believe you've actually thought about this in great detail. Thanks again for the kudos. My follow up is going to be a 1/5th scale Creature and Julia Adams piece.

Not this one. I actually talked to QMX legal this morning. They haven't had a license since 2008 for the Universal Monsters Line.

I'm hoping to talk to them directly about this and other possible projects.

Not this one. I actually talked to QMX legal this morning. They haven't had a license since 2008 for the Universal Monsters Line.

I'm hoping to talk to them directly about this and other possible projects.

Keep us informed ...THis is a classic piece and Im definitely interested.

Once again, great work!

DS

Actually, Luis De La Fuente (GreyZon) deliberatly sculpted it that size out of respect to Bob Burns who let him study the original prop. He didn't want anyone trying to pass it off as an original. also, THIS sculpture is TRULY awesome!!! great job!! More pics please with the crate and newspaper.
Ed-209

And an AWESOME original sculpt! One of the biggest drawbacks to the GreyZon sculpt is that it's too small. You're looks to be a closer scale to the original.

Might fine work, bro!
-B89! :D

Actually, Luis De La Fuente (GreyZon) deliberatly sculpted it that size out of respect to Bob Burns who let him study the original prop. He didn't want anyone trying to pass it off as an original. also, THIS sculpture is TRULY awesome!!! great job!! More pics please with the crate and newspaper.
Ed-209

(In my best Petter Griffin) "I.... learned something today!" ;)

Very interesting! I know I've always been wowed by the amount of detail he has in his sculpt. It still one of my favorites!

MR, if you decide to cast yours, let me know. ;)

-B89!:D

I've already made the molds, and have cast prototypes. At this point I have no plans to produce any more than what I've made.

crateandstuff.jpg

handcrate.jpg

There were two crates for this piece. One for the whole ensemble, and one just for the hand. The packaging would be filled with excelsior, and the hand would be wrapped in a fictional newspaper called De Journal de Scientifica.

Here's some more shots of the hand, with one of the alternate bases.

finalproto4.jpg

finalproto3.jpg

finalprotodetail.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, I need a bit of help. What's the best way to quickly age wood?

Paint is neat and all, but I want something that Isn't paint.

Actually, Luis De La Fuente (GreyZon) deliberatly sculpted it that size out of respect to Bob Burns who let him study the original prop.

Last edited:
Very cool piece!!!!

I have a greyzon kit that I need to finish up, but hot damn that looks great!

Chris

Hey, I need a bit of help. What's the best way to quickly age wood?

Paint is neat and all, but I want something that Isn't paint.

A Blowtorch is the usual way to burn away the different layers of grain, but it would still need painting to cover up the scorch marks.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back