David Tennant Tardis (Project Update Photos)

SirJediKnightTim

I am currently making a 1/6 scale plywood Tardis, from the current Doctor Who series. And I can't decide on which paint color would be best. It seems like many that I see are way too bright blue. The actual Tardis is very dark in color. I found what seems really close at Wal Mart. It's a Rust-Oleum Satin paint called "248633 Satin Indigo". It's the closest color I have found. But it is a spray paint. I think a brush on paint would be much easier, especially considering the size of my Tardis.

Any better ideas out there?

Here is what I have so far.

tardis2120.jpg

Last edited:
Re: David Tennant Tardis Paint Color?

Go to home depot and they'll mix the paint based on a picture you bring in.

For a TARDIS I would highly recommend avoiding spray paint, home depot can mix you a bucket of whatever shade of blue you want.

The TARDIS Blue for the new Series is actually a few different shades of blue, greens and black. Apparently the weathering is done after the black is applied and then sanded back to reveal the blues...

My own TARDIS started out quite dark, then light and then I weathred her up with black and blue mix.

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_8317.jpg

IMG_8413.jpg

Really well done!
Looks amazing.
Can't wait to see the pics with a bit of colour on it. :thumbsup

SWEET work. IIRC the color suggested on the TARDIS rebuilders site was called "Cardiff Blue" let me check my files...
here, found it
the Cardiff Blue Colour with slight variation.

Here's the formula on the can from Home Depot:
Colour Palette number 5088 07/086 --> in the big colour swatch book
1. Glidden Evermore Satin Premium Ext. Paint, Base2 EM 6912
2. Colorant:
B = Lamp Black 6oz - 12/48th's - 0/96
E = Thalo Blue 4oz - 18/48th's - 0/96
V = Magenta 2oz - 30/48th's - 0/96

Note: Dulux Colour numbers in reference to above:

Blue Bolt (Venetian Crystal 2) - 10BB 13/362
Wild Water 1 - 30BB 0/225
Dark Secret (Night Jewels) - 00NN 05/000

BTW, yours loks FAR better than mine already and mine is finished lol.

great work on your box. Can't wait to see it finished and with it's Doctor.
I just started work on an eighth Doctor custom figure.. already got a nine and ten :p

WOW!!! I really appreciate the kind words!!!

Now you tell me about the color!!! Well, I just bought a color that I thought looked good at Home Depot. It's called Jazz Blue by Behr.

I actually made the top light out of a part I found at a hobby store, I think it's a part to a light. I had to build up the top. And the glass (I didn't want to use plastic), is actually a jar of paint that I found that I thought was the shape I was looking for.

I picked up some led lights for the Police signs. And I do have sound in this too. I have a Doctor Who keychain that is REALLY LOUD!!! You guys would believe how loud it is. I just set it inside, and hit the Tardis sound. It's great!!

I "should" have this all done by the weekend.

SWEET work. IIRC the color suggested on the TARDIS rebuilders site was called "Cardiff Blue" let me check my files...
here, found it
the Cardiff Blue Colour with slight variation.

Here's the formula on the can from Home Depot:
Colour Palette number 5088 07/086 --> in the big colour swatch book
1. Glidden Evermore Satin Premium Ext. Paint, Base2 EM 6912
2. Colorant:
B = Lamp Black 6oz - 12/48th's - 0/96
E = Thalo Blue 4oz - 18/48th's - 0/96
V = Magenta 2oz - 30/48th's - 0/96

Note: Dulux Colour numbers in reference to above:

Blue Bolt (Venetian Crystal 2) - 10BB 13/362
Wild Water 1 - 30BB 0/225
Dark Secret (Night Jewels) - 00NN 05/000

BTW, yours loks FAR better than mine already and mine is finished lol.

great work on your box. Can't wait to see it finished and with it's Doctor.
I just started work on an eighth Doctor custom figure.. already got a nine and ten :p

Do you have a photo of a Tardis with that mix of color on it?

Cool, I gotta get me one of those key chains. Any idea where they sell them, or will I have to hunt eBay? My cell phone ring is currently the Tardis sound, but it's be nice to have the key chain for when I eventually get around to building one of these too.

How are you on graphics? If you can get the signage saved as a vector file (so I can use it for mine in the future), I could get my brother to print them out on sign vinyl. It would only cost you material and postage. You wouldn;t have to worry about blocking the light on the black parts, as the vinyl is thick enough. All you'd have to do is peel and stick it to a piece of clear styrene or acrylic.

Do you have a photo of a Tardis with that mix of color on it?

none of my own... I'll have to look through the rebuilders site a little.

K.. I've had a look and it seems that the particular thread where I got that info is gone now but it is referred to.. Seems thats the color used on the New Series Tardis post Eccleston. For his they said this
"The first hero prop in the first episode of Season One had several variations of blue, I believe 7 is correct, followed by a glazing of some sorts. I don't recall the name of this glazing, I think it was Endenton or something like that. I know there was a post on a thread a while back. Nonetheless, after that episode, the TARDIS was repainted per the directors request in a standard 'TARDIS' blue color followed by a wash a black to add weathering which darkens the blue. That's really about all I know from various conversations in the past. If anyone else knows more feel free to share.

cheers,
Jon~ "

On my 1/6th TARDIS, I used dark blue and navy blue. They were these cheap acrylic craft paints from Wal-Mart.
My base-coat was the dark blue and when that dried, I added touches of the navy blue to areas and would streak it. Sometimes wiping it away.. just trying to get something to kind of make the wood grain "pop" a bit.
It's not extremely noticeable but it's there.

I have a (fairly) recent video with some of my Who stuff on youtube including my TARDIS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4T6mH4Shjw

Last edited:
Cool, I gotta get me one of those key chains. Any idea where they sell them, or will I have to hunt eBay? My cell phone ring is currently the Tardis sound, but it's be nice to have the key chain for when I eventually get around to building one of these too.

How are you on graphics? If you can get the signage saved as a vector file (so I can use it for mine in the future), I could get my brother to print them out on sign vinyl. It would only cost you material and postage. You wouldn;t have to worry about blocking the light on the black parts, as the vinyl is thick enough. All you'd have to do is peel and stick it to a piece of clear styrene or acrylic.

I don't have them as a vector file. I do have a local sign shop making me them out of vinyl, so I can put them on acrylic. They are suposed to be done this week. It is the last piece of the puzzle I am waiting for.

I added the door handles (originally made for doll houses), and some magnets to the doors. So the doors now stay closed. I started on the Police light boxes. I ran out of wood, and can't actually finish them until I complete the signs for them first.

Here are some updated photos. This has been a long, long project. I can't believe the work involved with this. The doors are about 13 1/2" tall, and to the top of the light is about 20".

1234002.jpg

Here is a photo with some of the power on!

Tardislights.jpg

I just picked up these babies from the graphic designer today!!! More photos to come this weekend!!!! YAHOOO!!!!!

labels002.jpg

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back