Where the Wild Things Are: Moishe

Cleverlilminx

Those who are reading the other Where the Wild Things Are costume thread for Max, then you know I am going to make a King Max costume for my son. My son never likes to costume alone however and said he needed a Wild Thing to accompany him, which means me, Mom, gets to be a Wild Thing!! :lol So we watched the movie trailer a few times and looked through the book to pick which Wild Thing to create and we settled on Moishe since he seems to be the featured Wild Thing in the trailer so far:

wildthings_01-300x195.jpg

wild.jpg

wtwta_moishe_photo_01_dp.jpg

So far the movie stills show very little of what this costume will look like, but I plan to start buying materials in July and get this done in time for the movie opening in Mid-October.

In the meantime, I am hoping that other members here might be able to locate as many Hi Res photos of Moishe as possible so I can start plotting out this costume.

One of my goals, and an area I will need help getting information for, is to try to make a movable mouth. I have a wolf mask at home with a movable bottom jaw that moves when I open my mouth but unless I tear apart the mask, I can not fully see how it all works and I'm not going to tear it apart. So if someone can offer advice on how to rig a moving bottom jaw, something cheap and simple is fine, I'm all ears.

Anyone else planning on making one of the Wild Things costumes?

Last edited:
I did a google image search and found very little to be honest. However, elements of the test costume were carried over to the final costume like the striped fur. Plus that first photo is not test footage I think.

Have you gotten anywhere on this. I'm about 80%-ish on my Moishe head. Seeking inspiration to finish... its been sitting this way for 3 weeks.

See my my Moishe costume thread here LINK

Last edited:
My plans are to have my costume done in time for the movie opening, in October. So no I have not started it just yet. I've been finishing up a couple of costumes for my son for now.

However I have been playing with the idea of using Plastic Canvas as the base for the head on this costume. I am trying to make it lightweight so I can wear it for longer periods of time.

I am also trying to see if there is a way to make the mouth move with my own jaw and if I can still keep the overall look of the face looking "right".

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back