EFX TIE Interceptor

Maybe they're going for a coolness factor geared towards a larger audience, and not so much the hardcore collector?

The Interceptor definitely has that over the regular TIE.

The ANH TIE is a cinematic icon. The TIE Interceptor, while being a cool design, is just another spaceship from that movie with the Ewoks as far as most people are concerned.

Please pardon what around these parts may be a dumb question, but would the Stardestroyer be considered a practical subject for a company like EFX? I've no idea how difficult it would be to make and market this particular ship, but I sure wish someone would take a crack at bringing a decent finished replica to market.

I prefer the standard Tie design over the Interceptor, but if they had to pick a ship from ROTJ it should have been the Tydirium Shuttle, were lucky to be able to own one from our very own talented board members.

GFollano

The ANH TIE is a cinematic icon. The TIE Interceptor, while being a cool design, is just another spaceship from that movie with the Ewoks as far as most people are concerned.

I totally agree. I guess that one thing to consider is that the studio scale market is a niche market, and those interested probably wouldn't be Joe Public. Studio scale customers willing to part with that amount of cash would be familiar with the Interceptor and its lineage.

That being said, I would have expected the Standard TIE as well.

Studio scale customers willing to part with that amount of cash would be familiar with the Interceptor and its lineage.

Agreed, but from a marketing standpoint why rule out the possibility of appealing to those well-heeled sci-fi film fans out there who might be willing to spring for an iconic design but wouldn't touch the more obscure iteration of that design with a ten foot pole (especially in this economic climate)? Seems to me the well-heeled hardcore SW collectors will bite either way.

Leave the more obscure stuff to the GKers. I hear some of them are pretty good at making this stuff. :)

Never thought the TIE interceptor was up to much. To me, the design is a backward step, a confused design decision which over-reduces the radical verticality of the original, one of its most impressive features. The bizarre, unstreamlined 'H' is just more exotic than the horzontalized interceptor, which looks like a half-baked attempt to inject some forward-thrusting X-wingishness into the first design. The result merely serves to erode the clear distinction between the two ships onscreen, a purity of distinction beautifully set up in the first film. What you get in increased aggressiveness you lose in disturbing oddness. Vader's ship started the reduction of verticality, but it is the interceptor's shifting of the guns to those split wings that really makes the whole thing just too blandly horizontal in my view.

So, I join the cries for a 1977 TIE Fighter or Vader's one ( though if I were in the archives scanning, my first choice would've been Red 2 or 3; the nice-but-necessarily-'made-up' Red 5 had to be made to satisfy Luke 'n' Artoo icon market demands, but the result is that the world is still devoid of a MR Falcon-accuracy level X-wing).

Last edited:
The TIE interceptor looks like a fighter, it has far more cockpit visibility for the pilot that is for sure! and LOTS of guns. It makes the standard TIE looks like a satellite broadcasting HBO.

The Interceptor design is the best and coolest TIE design ever done IMHO. That's ma fav at least :)

But yeah it has already been done greatly so why not reproduce something else ? And I hear you that's the regular TIE Fighter is iconic (I dont like the ANH version though) but since the cockpit ball (beside the front guns) of the Interceptor and regular TIE are exactly the same, they could release the regular later. As stated by one of you, Koolshade could be a problem to replicate for them (knowing that the original koolshade is no longer produced) and it's not easy to mold and cast to get the result of true koolshade (odnt even think about the effect of the lightnings on the Koolshade...).

While the Interceptor is my fav TIE, I would not buy one from EFX and would prefer to get the Nice-N one -the wings are beatiful- because when I see what they did with the X-Wing... (no original kitparts, all bigger than the original etc...) I dont expect something accurate from them on this subject ! That's shame to get access to the actual props, been allowed to laserscan them and produce so innacurate models. We'll see !

You don't like eFX, you didn't buy their X-Wing, you wouldn't buy their TIE. Why are you reading and posting in this thread, then?

_Mike

You don't like eFX, you didn't buy their X-Wing, you wouldn't buy their TIE. Why are you reading and posting in this thread, then?

_Mike

Maybe because this is a board ? But yeah, like 99% of the guys who posted on this thread, I wont buy their TIE !

Last edited:
99%, huh? So in other words, you're just bored and looking to take shots at the company.

_Mike

No I'm just wondering why they didnt reproduce the Standard TIE , thinking that's probably because of the Koolshade.
I'm not taking shot at eFX, I'm just honest, their X-Wing is not studio scale and wrong in shape, size, proportions and I dont expect better for their Interceptor. But maybe this time they'll take in count criticism and try to do a better/more accurate studio scale replica.
You're artoo was very nice though.

Agreed, but from a marketing standpoint why rule out the possibility of appealing to those well-heeled sci-fi film fans out there who might be willing to spring for an iconic design but wouldn't touch the more obscure iteration of that design with a ten foot pole (especially in this economic climate)? Seems to me the well-heeled hardcore SW collectors will bite either way.

Leave the more obscure stuff to the GKers. I hear some of them are pretty good at making this stuff. :)

I couldn't agree more with the last 2 posts Carson Dyle contributed.

I for one love studio scale modelling but I am only a collector not a model maker or artisan.

Prior to venturing into the studio scale modelling forum if I was asked what models I would pay top dollar for I would have listed off the real icons of the trilogy. The same ones Joe Public would recognise = X wing, TIE, Vader TIE, ATAT, Falcon basically the bread and butter SW trilogy icons.

The interceptor is a lovely looking ship but for somebody like me who cannot afford to buy any and every SS model it will not be on my to buy list.

I bought the EFX XWing and am happy with it. I would definitely buy other poducts from them in the future no problem but in the licensed market the next obvious choice for models for EFX would be the standard TIE or Vader TIE IMHO.

I do know people who are not big collectors of SW stuff but have bought high end items.

A good example is a friend who has a nice Vader helmet and was happy to buy it and display it but if I was to offer him an ATAT driver helmet he would not even recognise it. Again he would know the Vader TIE and might buy one to display but he wouldn't even consider an interceptor. I would think this friend of mine is a fair reflection on the buying public.

Chris

99%, huh? So in other words, you're just bored and looking to take shots at the company.

_Mike

Mike i dont think thats the case at all, constructive crit goes beyond a build up now i think.....i feel its valid to offer this, to a replica release too, its just not that great an announcement.....very damp as it goes IMO.

No i wont buy one, and no, i didnt buy an X wing, but, i still live in hope eFX will have something to offer me in time, im kinda puzzled as to the fact they are willing to pour a lot of time, and great effort, into this prop, with the 30th of TESB around the corner.

My thoughts (for what there worth of late) would be for eFX to capitalise on this, and maybe put out a classic TESB prop, hence, off the back of the X wing...the TIE bomber would be perfect for them, wouldnt be costly, and sure, id buy one.....and i dont say that because i need a bomber, i already have an SS replica.....but for eFX to go that way, i dont know, would make more sense to me...the Interceptor is what id call an easy popcorn model, not an iconic form in any sense.

Julien, kinda speaks his mind, and also there is a bit of a language to keyboard thing that springs up now and then (he is from France afterall and English is not his first language) and it comes out the wrong way to us....but Julien (i know him very well) doesnt mean to slate and take a cheap shot, he's one of the most talented guys around today and trust me, when it comes to studio scale, he really does know what he's talking about.......sorry if i come across sounding like a dick Mike, but if i was honest...its probably me taking the cheap shot.

lee

Lee, it's not a constructive criticism to say, "I don't buy their products, I never will buy their products, 99% of the people in this discussion won't buy their products, they went to the Archives and still got everything incorrect, and I don't expect the TIE to be accurate, either."

The guy has clearly demonstrated he's not worth worrying about, from eFX's point-of-view. It's like me and Kenny G: no matter what, I'm not buying his records. He's not going to win me over. Similarly, if after the Falcon and the X-Wing, you have this dead-set a negative feeling about their models, believe me, you're not going to be transformed by the TIE, which will be as high quality an offering as the Falcon and X-Wing were, both remarkable achievements in mass replication by any standard.

So since he's irrelevant to the company, and explicit about his total lack of interest in their products under any circumstances, his contribution is neither "constructive" nor purposeful. It's just taking pot shots at eFX.

And yes, he completely reeks of being French; I knew that way before you told me. Gotta love 'em.

In any case, I'm sure he's a real swell guy; I have no idea what that has to do with anything. He's completely against eFX's offerings - which is fine - and just taking shots at them in a thread about a product he has no interest in. Not so fine.

_Mike

Last edited:
Mike,

You have had dealings with EFX and clearly liked the X Wing and look forward to their products what are your thoughts on the Interceptor release?

Do you have any preferences on any models you would like to see produced by EFX.

Cheers Chris

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back