Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume...

Ok after surfing the web all day, I can not find the right pattern for the PJ's for Max in an adult size. So in all honesty, the Mccall's pattern mentioned before could work after it has been modified:

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M8953.htm?tab=costumes&page=6

Now in the book, Max's pj's have a flap on the butt, but I can not seem to see that detail on the movie verison. Does anyone have a photo of the back of the costume? Also the movie Max wears sneakers while the book verison wears slippers. I think my kid wants the slippers to be honest so that is the direction I am taking for footwear.

Now to experiment with those whiskers. I have a couple of ideas, just need to play bit.

As for the hood, that one photo I posted earlier does show it not connected to the pj's but these photos show that it is connected afterall:

http://www.collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Where_the_Wild_Things_Are/where_the_wild_things_are_movie_image_5.jpg

http://mimg.sulekha.com/english/where-the-wild-things-are/Stills/where-the-wild-things-are-02.jpg

Last edited:
I have that second picture, which does show that the hood is sewn into the pajamas, except for those front flaps. The hood can be flipped back on itself when the flaps are open.

The whiskers look to be different from shot to shot, which could be an indication of a flexible, bendy wire used and just straightened or corrected prior to the shooting session. I think a straw would snap off.

26 pictures uploaded in the first post. Some good ones, like how this one shows exactly how the hood is attached:

attachment.php

We need to know what the palms look like...

oh, and no butt flap.

Quit worrying about a pattern and go grab a Union Suit that's a little too big for you. Use that as your pattern. When sewing a costume I'll make a test garment off the pattern out of muslin, but with a union suit that serves the same purpose. You can also study how it's made and learn how to put your real suit together. The hood is easy too.

You are going to have to hand sew a good bit of it, or invest in a serger with this fabric.

Here's your fabric:
http://www.textenn.com/gallery5.htm
Once it's washed it bunches up like the movie suit. Get a sample and see if it's the right stuff. I'm pretty certain it is.

Lemme know if you guys have any questions.

Laffo.

Last edited:
I'm afraid your TexTenn link is badly outdated. Yes, I know the site is still up, but TexTenn was bought by Monterey Mills a couple years ago. Monterey just left the website up to keep interested parties calling (the 800 number listed on the TexTenn contact page goes right to Monterey). None of the fabrics on that TexTenn page are in stock anymore. I know because I bought the last roll of the "Maize" fabric shown last month (from Monterey). The others are out of stock - but a custom run could be made if you're interested in 500 yards or so! :lol

Rick

That link to shearling, is that anything like sherpa? I have used sherpa in the past to make Snowtrooper dusters and I think the fabric is way too stiff and heavy for this costume, at least for a kid. Plus in the trailor the fabric seems to be soft enough for the kid to move and run freely in.

I have about 2 yards of a black fleece that looks close in texture to what I see in these photos so my plan is to go back to the store I got it from and see if there is anything there in white or off-white.

I'm thinking of making the slippers that are in the book however so my costume will become a combination of what I see used in the movie and what we know in the book. In this trailer I see that Max wears sneakers.

As far as a pattern, I plan to mod a current teddy bear costume pattern I have on had and draft up a hood pattern myself. Thinking about what to use to make the ears on the hood stand up. Still got to think up a way to make those whiskers and secure them into the hood. The gloves should not be too hard to make to be honest since they are fingerless and attach directly to the sleeve at the wrist.

Anyone find good reference photos of Max's staff yet?

That link to shearling, is that anything like sherpa? I have used sherpa in the past to make Snowtrooper dusters and I think the fabric is way too stiff and heavy for this costume, at least for a kid. Plus in the trailor the fabric seems to be soft enough for the kid to move and run freely in.

I have about 2 yards of a black fleece that looks close in texture to what I see in these photos so my plan is to go back to the store I got it from and see if there is anything there in white or off-white.

I'm thinking of making the slippers that are in the book however so my costume will become a combination of what I see used in the movie and what we know in the book. In this trailer I see that Max wears sneakers.

As far as a pattern, I plan to mod a current teddy bear costume pattern I have on had and draft up a hood pattern myself. Thinking about what to use to make the ears on the hood stand up. Still got to think up a way to make those whiskers and secure them into the hood. The gloves should not be too hard to make to be honest since they are fingerless and attach directly to the sleeve at the wrist.

Anyone find good reference photos of Max's staff yet?

For the whiskers, try snips of bent-up black wire coat hangers affixed to small discs of styrene or balsa wood with JB Weld or epoxy. You can stick them through the underside of the hood with a good fabric adhesive and THEN sew on the lining.

There are a few good shots of Max's scepter in the trailer (as well as one REALLY good shot of it's head). The zip on the first page of this post should have them...

the material looked like a polar fleece, or at least a style of polar fleece I've seen a lot of at my local SR Harris...I'd suggest giving that a try.
I'd agree that the hood is seperate, I'm loving this thread!

Oh and I'm also making a guess that the whiskers are attached to a straight piece in the hood. If you look at that photo with him on the back of the guy (his dad?) just above the whiskers it suddenly slants towards the top of his head, which to me seems like there is a solid piece the whiskers are attached to in order to make them point outwards like that.

Last edited:
The hood is attached to the costume for sure. Check out the pictures in the first post. There are also a few good shots of the scepter, but just the head and somewhat the tail end.

Whatever the material is, it's super flexible as you can see in the trailers.

oh hey, I didn't look through those...yeah picture #5, the shot of his back while wearing the crown, you can see the seam for the hood, so it is for sure attached.
I also noticed that the hands are apart of the costume, so if you did use a Halloween costume pattern for your guide, you'd have to hand draw in your hand...probably better anyway as you would be able to get it fitted better that way.
hmm...if I didn't already have so many costumes on my plate, I'd add this one for Halloween...maybe we'll see just how fast I can get through my other projects, heh.

yeah, I think using the stuff from a broom with plastic bristles is the best idea and you could even possibly find one that's already black.

You can use black speaker wire, but I don't think it'll hold the angles of the whiskers. Maybe black pipe cleaners? And since they're lighter, you wouldn't need an elaborate mounting system to keep them attached to the hood.

Also, are the fingerless gloves attached to the arms of the suit? I hope another trailer comes out soon so we can screencap that sucker too.

I'm trying to get this costume together for my nephew...his birthday is Halloween, and I'm planning this huge Wild Things type party for him. The more info I get sooner, the better! But as a fan with NO prior sewing experience, this thread has been a godsend. I for one will be working on the scepter and crown (movie version) sometime in the next month, so I'll post my progress with those here as well.

Rock on, everyone.

Hey can someone take very detailed WIP pics when you make your scepter please...

I can sew anything but prop making I need lots of help with. :lol

Haha. I'll try, but you have to do the same with your costume!

My schedule just moved up a month. I might be going down to Disney World for their Halloween event in September, so I might as well have the costume done for that. That means I need it done by early September, which means I should get started sooner than later.

Lets source the material!

My schedule just moved up a month. I might be going down to Disney World for their Halloween event in September, so I might as well have the costume done for that. That means I need it done by early September, which means I should get started sooner than later.

I have to ask...won't you be a little tall for Max? :lol

This is a simple costume to make, attaching the tail & whiskers might be the hardest part to be honest. I'll try to take WIP pics and show how I make the costume over the summer.

However my concerns right now are more focused on completing this costume for myself:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?p=862516#post862516

:lol

I have to ask...won't you be a little tall for Max?
Okay, maybe I'm a little tall and old for this, but it's one day where I can be a kid again. Cut me some slack! :lol

Oy, Minx, good luck with the Moishe costume! That should be a lot of fun.

I'll have to get googling for similar fabrics soon...

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back