Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume...

synasp

Sr Member
I loved this book as a kid, and want to make Max's wolf costume for Halloween. I don't sew, so I'm going to need some help with the process.

edit: I have a bunch of screen caps now.

attachment.php

So, where do I start? Make some sort of pattern on paper?

Re: Where the Wild Things Are...

I've been looking at that costume myself, for my son of course, since we decided we want to get dressed up for when the movie comes out. I plan to hit the fabric stores in Philly in the coming weeks to scout out the fabric.

For the crown, I know I had plans somewhere on how to make a crown out of copper sheeting, but I do not remember it being to hard to make.

Tail is fake fur of course, I just have to locate a fur that looks close to what I see on the screen.

However I have been thinking about taking parts of the screen costume and mixing them with what I see in the book, like the tail is darker in the book for starters.

I hope that helps a bit. Since you do not sew, what about seeing if you can locate a pair of old fashion PJ's in the right color in your size for starters?

wow, they made it into a movie? I loved this story when I was a kid and whined to my parents until they finally took me to the play when it was around. Heh...if you don't sew, I really don't know what to tell you, wait until the halloween outfits hit?

Well depending on how accurate you want the Max costume to be to the movie, vs the book, will depend on if you want to try to hand sew some parts of this costume, like the tail. You can also use something called Stitch Witchery, which is a double sided, fusible tape that can be used to fuse seams in garments. You can also use fabric glue for securing fabric as well.

Please don't confuse "don't sew" with "not willing to learn" because I'm willing to learn any skill I need to to get this done as movie accurate as possible (sized to me, of course).

I guess I'm looking for generic sewing tips right now. I'll get screen caps first to list the issues to tackle with this costue. Thanks for everyone's input!

Well if it's sewing tips you want, here is a quick one:

When it comes to the tall, make sure the fur's nap lays away from the costume. you know, like when you pet a cat or dog, their hair lays to the tail or back. Does that make sense? Also make sure that both pieces for the tail, you will only need two pieces, are cut in the same direction of the nap of the fur.

When did you need this costume done by? If you do not need it until October, for the movie opening, I can try to help you out while making my son's costume. :) I plan to start my Wild Things costumes in late June, during my short break from school.

OHHH! my bad, typically when people say they don't sew it means they aren't willing to try. I would tend to agree with rick x 3
I'm a fan of taking Simplicity patterns and modding them, I think the ones he pulled are probably your best base.

Re: Where the Wild Things Are...

For the crown, I know I had plans somewhere on how to make a crown out of copper sheeting, but I do not remember it being to hard to make.

How would you handle the edges of the crown? Copper sheeting can slice the living daylights out of you.... I would be tempted to use styrene instead.

...I can try to help you out while making my son's costume.
Thanks! I want to have it for Halloween, so we've still got time. I want to make mine screen accurate, scaled to a 5'10" kid. ;) And now that I think about it, I might as well make a mini version for my nephew (who will be 1 years old).

rollerboi, great shots, especially of the fingers! Do you mind posting some or for me to do it?

The Simplicity patterns look good, but I'd rather have as close to the movie pattern as possible (meaning research). That's just for my personal peace of mind, otherwise I'll be unhappy with it. But those will be a great base to get used to sewing. I plan on getting a sewing machine for this project, so I'll just need to source the material.

I also agree with the styrene crown, and laminate or paint for the copper effect. It'll be more comfortable to wear as well.

Well I'm not going to look for fabric until June/July in hopes that the stores around here start to get in their fall/winter fabrics in. However, at first glance, I have seen a fleece that had that same texture before.

For the crown, I know me well enough to know that I'll use whatever is cheap and easy. I have both Styrene sheeting and Wonderflex sitting around the house ATM. The draw to copper sheeting is that fact that I do not have to paint it and I hate painting.

Does anyone have good photos of the staff? I did see in the trailer that Max does have a staff as well. If worse comes to worse, I'll make a staff like in the book.

I also think in one photo, and I'll post it up tonight when I get back home, that the hood on the PJ's might be a seperate piece. Once I get the photo up, I would like to get some opinnions on that.

EDIT: Found the photo:

http://www.filmbums.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/where_the_wild_things_areflv.jpg

Last edited:
rollerboi, great shots, especially of the fingers! Do you mind posting some or for me to do it?

This the one you're talking about? Why grab just one when you can get the whole reference? :)

8450246.png

I can make out a seam down the underside of the arm, and what looks like it could be a join seam at the wrist (not 100% on that one, but it'd make sense). Visible seams on the fingers must be on the underside of the hand, natch.

If you are really concerned about screen accuracy, that pattern minx posted has two seams in the crown of the hood - that last reference pic clearly shows one down the center of Max's costume.

Whiskers like that could be done a million different ways. Synthetic broom bristles will often do in a pinch. They can be heated and shaped. The hard part is anchoring them so they stick out straight from the hood.

Judging from the limited reference shown here so far, the hood is almost certainly separate from the body. The flaps that go around the front of the neck are clearly visible undone and falling forward on that last pic.

R

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back