CM

Wombat

Well gang,heres what i've been attempting during the last few months.
Something i've never tried before but it's been a lot of fun with the part ID,srcatched stuff and even the kit hunting.
Well hopefully you can see it's going to be a SS Colonial Movers and i've still got a lot to do but i thought it was far along now to show you where i'm at with it.Theres still a few parts that i have no idea what they are and maybe i can post some pictures here and see if anyone knows what they might be?

Couldn't have got this far with it without a lot of help from a few people i must mention and they are Mike(LastBattlestar),Mark D.,Sean S. and Dave K.
Anyway heres a few of the WIP pic's that i've taken up untill now and as ya can see theres a lot more to do yet.

In these pic's theres my armature,my attempt at scratchin a tank hatch and some of my scratched sponson's for the commend module.

View attachment 13008 View attachment 13009 View attachment 13010 View attachment 13011 View attachment 13012 View attachment 13013

So this is how it is today,still a lot to do but it's looking like the CM even with my crappy abilities.Please excuse the crappy glue work and eye for straightness.Guess i'm trying for that Apogee look like on the original without trying!:lol

More to follow,hopefully soon.

View attachment 13033

Thanks for the encouraging words there guys,it's one thing i lack a bit about my abilities.I'll never be in the same league as what i see here and over at RI but this one is about right for what im hopefully capable of.It's been a lot of fun like i mentioned,bit of frustration at making some stupid mistakes but it really is mostly fun.
I can see why you guy's do it yourselves and appreciate even more now the fine works that ya's scratch build after sorta seeing what goes into creating such creations with the CM.

^
Oh,you got me!
Because of Tom and yourself now i'm trying to build one.:unsure

I did say trying!!:lol

Well because of Mike,theres been some more accomplished with the build.Mike was very kind to remove one of his parts from his build and make a mould and cast for myself and the others building a Movers.That part was a pretty important part i must say and i don't know how i would have gone trying to scratch up such a part and have it look right.
The part is the plug that covers the armature holes.I've also added the Akagi part on top and just have to add the little hatches to two of them now.Magnets are used to hold them in place,that way i can use whichever mount point i choose still.Realistically it'll only ever be the bottom or side mounts.The only reason to use the top mount would be to take pictures of the underside i would think.
Also been playing with the command module some more,just adding more of the little detail bit's and also started some detailing of the sponson that joins to the barrels.Also added some detailing to the tubes that cover the armature.I'd say those three areas are getting close to being done now,just some little stuff to add to the three of them.
But,i'm sorta stuck a little now till i get some more parts.

View attachment 13204 View attachment 13205 View attachment 13206 View attachment 13207 View attachment 13208 View attachment 13209 View attachment 13210

OK,now heres the "I Need Help" part.:rolleyes

I'm totaly stuck on what these might be?

attachment.php
attachment.php

These two parts i'd be guessing would be around 19mm in diameter when a complete part but am not totally sure about that size.

attachment.php
attachment.php

These two pictures here are of the same part,just two different angles.
I'm guessing again,but probably around 13mm in diameter.

Any assistance would be really appreciated!:cool

Appears to be constructed from a couple of pieces. While the main part doesn't jump out at me, I did recognize two smaller parts:

attachment.php

These are some detail parts from the 1/72 Hasegawa Morser Karl kit. Got the photo of the parts from the uber-useful StudioScale.com site.

Gene

Main piece, could be a steering hub from an auto kit. Its early here lol, but thats what i see, note the brake caliper location holes, and possibly, two ball joint applications?

lee

Hey thanks there guys.

Gene,i appreciate you doing that there,but it's the large part that has me stumped unfortunately.

Lee,you could be onto something there,mate.
I believe there are a couple of small parts from a large scale F1 car used on the Movers,perhaps i should be looking for a kit scan of that?

Cheers again,i'm off to studioscale to see if any of them are shown there.

Phil

Well looking over at Studioscale i found this.
I know it's not correct but it sure look's like you are right there,Lee.
Good lead on that part for sure.:cool

Do you think they may have used even this part and slipped a cover over that one end perhaps?
Not sure how big this part actually is,but it look's very promosing from the pic's?

attachment.php
attachment.php

Phil

Not a problem, if i CAN help on ID's, i DO help on Id's lol.

Buddy, if you give me a half hour or so, ill go through the 1/12 donors i have, ive got most of them, and im sure i know what kit there from, but let me go take a look for you to be sure, pretty certain its one of the earlier "cigar" bodied racers!

lee

Well OK, ive got a few things to be getting on with this evening, but ill tell you Phil, closest one ive found as it goes, on pulling the actual kit, is indeed, the Ferrari 312t 1/12th!
Ill check the Brabham, Matra, Yardley and Tyrrells, but i think you may have found the little blighter TBH.

Discounted kits are the Lotus MKIII and Ferrari 312b, soon as i pulled the 312T...it screamed at me lol.

lee

Well OK, ive got a few things to be getting on with this evening, but ill tell you Phil, closest one ive found as it goes, on pulling the actual kit, is indeed, the Ferrari 312t 1/12th!
Ill check the Brabham, Matra, Yardley and Tyrrells, but i think you may have found the little blighter TBH.

Discounted kits are the Lotus MKIII and Ferrari 312b, soon as i pulled the 312T...it screamed at me lol.

lee

Lee,thank you very much for going to the trouble to go through your kit's,thats most appreciated there mate.Gee this could actually be the part with just a lil cap over that one end.:)
Is then any chance i can pester you to do some measurements on what sort of diameter the body of it is?If it's around the 13-15mm mark i'd say we do have a winner.
Bet this will be one of those hard to find and expensive kit's as well,but i'll go have a look over at the bay and see if any are listed.
Thanks again mate,excellent spotting there to give me some sorta lead in the first place!!:cool

Just checked out the bay and that kit is available.Theres even one listed down here although it works out kinda pricey at $165au for the one part.If it looks about right size wise though,i guess i'll need to add that kit to my needed list.

Great work so far, and I like your four-legged helper. ;)

Thanks Treadwell,that four legged helper doesn't do much,he's just supervising my progress mostly.

Phil

Last edited:
Phil, ill get the calipers on it when i get home, but your dims are about right TBH, my guess is around 13mm or so.
Ill double check tonite for you buddy... and the 312t is still a great kit to have, its got your part, and so many others hidden in its sprues, so worth buying TBH mate!

lee

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back