OWK Balance Pipe Marks

franz bolo

Sr Member
Here's my theory on how the outer Balance Pipe on the OWK chronicles saber was weathered.

I think the dark banding around the outer balance pipe were caused by the rubbing of the metal part that holds the sealing rings. The drawing from the manual shows that they are in the same position and my original Balance Pipe has similar marks.

Any other ideas, criticisms or alternative theories?

THEORY.jpg

FB

I think those dark bands were licked on by kittens.
:lol

All Kitten Licking aside, I thought this might help people with their weathering. :lol

I also think, like a few others, that the inner pipe is not crimped but that it has some type of glue on it making it look crimped. It's thicker than the Outer Pipe and seems impossible to crimp.

I have no clue why the edge on the Outer Pipe is missing in some areas. It's pretty strong metal and must have been from a grinder or something.

FB

I would not be surprised if the engine had been through some sort of catastrophic event.

The scoring on some of these is quite deep, so something in the range of 'normal' for these engines (shoddy maintenance?) could cause the loss of metal.

How does one go about making these marks? I don't know if you guys saw my thread,but I tried by burning tape off of it and it made some nice marks,but not as dark as the original. Seems like rubbing some type of rubber might be the answer,but risky.... Thoughts advice?

Last edited:
How does one go about making these marks? I don't know if you guys saw my thread,but I tried by burning tape off of it and it made some nice marks,but not as dark as the original. Seems like rubbing some time of rupper ight be the answer,but risky.... Thoughts advice?

I would use paint or streak some gun bluing onto the part.

FB

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back