Halo 3 Gravity Hammer Project - 56k Killer

DogWizard

Since I'm new to the RPF I thought that it's about time I pull the sheet off my latest project. I’ve been working on this for a while now but recently I’ve been able to spend more time on it and it’s really starting to come along. It’s a scratch-built Gravity Hammer from Halo 3. It’s made entirely of MDF and Apoxie-Sculpt.

It will end up being a bit smaller than the WETA version but I wanted something that someone could actually cosplay with. I tried to get everything as accurate as possible (working only by eye). The detailing is based primarily on screenshots but I did adopt some features from the Hammer from the “Legendary” Brute Statue.

So what do you think?

Main Body:
IMG_0234.jpg

Rear Blade:
IMG_0222.jpg

Coming Together:
IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

Clearcoat:
IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

I am currently doing the final finish sanding and applying the final primer coats in preparation for clear-coating everything. I’m also working on the shaft details but nothing worth posting pics of yet.

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

And some molds and test casts of the smaller pieces:

IMG_0319.jpg

What I've learned so far about mold-making/casting:
- Don't add too much coloring tint to the resin - you really aren't going to get "black"...
- Good lord, mix for all you are worth - when you think you are done, mix some more...
- release agents are your friend...

The mold for the front "impact teeth" is great - really happy with it. I'm re-making the mold for the rear "nozzle" as I wasn't happy with the way it came out. It is servicable but I'm really shooting for as close to perfect as I can get...

More details and Pictures over at my progress thread at the 405th...

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16881

More progress updates to come...Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: Halo 3 Gravity Hammer Project

thats awesome! I'd love to see someone get all the different Halo weapons I've seen made here and display them all together...

this is pretty awesome man. I am really excited to see the end product. eventually i will have my turret done. it got put on hold due to my Iron Man suit. :lol:lol it happens.

Aww, no way! Gravity Hammer was going to be a project of mine, but seeing how great this is looking, I might look for something else.

In my opinion, I like it better without the clear coat. The paint you're using really gives some substance to the piece and the shine detracts from that.

With everything else, if you can make a few of them, we could have a game of Grif-Ball on our hands.

What I've learned so far about mold-making/casting:
- Don't add too much coloring tint to the resin - you really aren't going to get "black"...

Not that I mean to disagree with you, but... I disagree with you. ;)

I've made lots of perfectly black resin casts in the past - you just have to know how much is enough. To be fair though, it looks as though you have some pretty large parts there and so the amount of tint required might be prohibitive.

Great moulds though!

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

In my opinion, I like it better without the clear coat. The paint you're using really gives some substance to the piece and the shine detracts from that.

With everything else, if you can make a few of them, we could have a game of Grif-Ball on our hands.

Actually the clearcoat is just a final sealer for making the molds - I agree with you on the paint finish. I am a huge fan of the duplicolor primers...

The plan is to make at least a few of them once the molds are complete so Grif-Ball may just be a matter of time...

More to come...

Oh right, I didn't realise you were going to mould the whole thing. They look like pretty defined shapes, is vacuum forming not an option? Wouldn't be as solid as a cast though, granted. Hopefully everything has sufficient draft angle to release cleanly.

And totally agree with the paint, why can't primer be the finish. Best of luck with the rest of it.

Oh right, I didn't realise you were going to mould the whole thing. They look like pretty defined shapes, is vacuum forming not an option? Wouldn't be as solid as a cast though, granted. Hopefully everything has sufficient draft angle to release cleanly.

And totally agree with the paint, why can't primer be the finish. Best of luck with the rest of it.

I've started on the molds and and it looks like there won't be any problem with the casts releasing. As far as Vacu-forming goes, I've never been a fan for more complicated 3D shapes like this. The masters will all stay intact so it may be a possibility later on...

That primer color is fairly close to what I'm shooting for as a base coat so that's probably where I will start...

very nice, very clean work.! good job.

Thanks!

Some updates on the molds:

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

Thanks and more to come...

Whatever happened to this? It was comming along so nicely.

Sorry – I completely forgot to update the RPF thread. Thanks for the interest and for pulling it back from the depths…

The Gravity Hammer is complete! (long overdue update pulled from the 405th site):

I thought that I'd post some updated pics - making progress on the shaft pieces. The shaft will be based on several different sizes of schedule 40 PVC pipe. This stuff is readily available everywhere and should be the same ID/OD wherever you buy it. This will allow people to re-create the shaft themselves but still use my detail pieces.

It's all PVC and Apoxie-Sculpt:

Rough Sculpt - the Saran-wrap and painter's tape allowed me to pull the PVC when the Apoxie cured = perfect fit:

IMG_0326.jpg

The "knobs" were sanded/contoured to the pipe radius then tacked on with PVC glue and finally filled with resin. The detailing isn't done but you get the idea:

IMG_0338.jpg

Thanks for the support and stay tuned for more updates!

Let me fill you in on a little secret - size does matter. I haven't finalized the length of the shaft yet - I'm spending all my time on the actual bits and pieces. The shaft will be based on several diameters of schedule 40 PVC pipe and the shaft details are all designed and moulded to slip right on these standard sizes. This will allow the final dimensions to be customized to a point. My guess is that it will scale to approximately 6' - 7'...

Time for an overdue update - Hammer Head Mould...
Interior:
IMG_0470.jpg

Exterior showing the "keys":
IMG_0471.jpg

All together now:
IMG_0472.jpg

And the Blade - 1st casts...
IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

I'm casting the first head as I type this - hopefully I'll have another update later tonight...

I wanted to finalize the attachment of everything and the few remaining "Blade Hardpoints" using an actual cast so that I can experiment and get the final sizing correct.

Everything is solid but the Head - all of the smaller pieces were just easier to do that way. I thought about making the Blade hollow but I decided it was worth the extra plastic to keep it solid for better strength/flexibility.

Hammer Head Mould in action:
IMG_0490.jpg

1st cast of the Head (untrimmed - these are completely raw):
IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

I had just a little misalignment along the rear seam but everything else lined right up perfectly. I am EXTREMELY pleased with the way it turned out. A little bit of trimming/patching at the seams and she'll be ready to go. The flat surfaces are really, really smooth - I'm glad I took the time up front to over-sand and clearcoat everything. There will be minimal work needed on these, boys and girls...

I hope to begin at least test-assembling the prototype this weekend. More to come...

Sorry for the lack of updates but I am in final frenzy mode trying to get this done. I have one Smooth-On order that arrived today and another due on Friday so I should be able to get the final little moulds done. I have already started assembly (as well as putting together instructions with lots o' pics) so it shouldn't be long now. Here are a few to tide you over...

The End Cap - this mold was a real challenge because there are recessed areas on both ends as well as a lot of details all around. I went with an odd 2-piece unsupported pour mould with fill and vent openings on top. It actually worked quite well...

IMG_0494.jpg

Next to the original piece...

IMG_0498.jpg

I originally wasn't going to include a "handguard" section - there isn't one on the WETA version - but I decided to just go ahead and build one anyway. The trick is making it strong enough to not snap right off. The key was some 3/4" aluminum square tubing. My plan is to use a reinforcing steel rod section which will be cast into the base attachment piece for strength. The whole assembly will be epoxied and "pinned" in place. I'll take some in-progress pics when I have the mould done...

You can see where I used Apoxie-Sculpt to mimic the contour of the PVC Pipe exactly. I have used this method throughout and it is a fantastic way to get form-fitting parts for curved surfaces...

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

I'm going to use the "peg and epoxy" method wherever possible to increase the joint strength...

IMG_0543.jpg

Thanks for the support and more to come!

Here you can see where the steel reinforcing rod will be - all the casts will have this. I don't want the handguard snapping off too easily if it can be avoided...

IMG_0546.jpg

More coming right up...

Attaching the shaft - I used a shorter "stub" and epoxied the "overshaft" in place with a mating angle - much stronger. The shaft is made up of an "upper" and a "lower" section. This a whole lot easier to deal with than the whole thing at once...

IMG_0549.jpg

And the reinforcing detail piece...

IMG_0553.jpg

On to the shaft assembly:

IMG_0558.jpg

The handguard base is also pegged in place...

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

Details laid out...

IMG_0584.jpg

And installed...

IMG_0590.jpg

Additional detailing using pinstriping...

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

And finally the leather wrapping...

IMG_0596.jpg

The flash makes the paint look much lighter than it actually is - I'll get some better pics when it's complete. More to come...

WHAT!!! - Time for more already??? Well...OK...

Time to start putting this bad boy together - the main blade support assembly and once again, everything is pegged for strength...

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

And the "teeth"...

IMG_0598.jpg

Let's see some real progress, shall we?

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

The flash is really screwing around with the colors - I will try to get some better pics using natural light up ASAP. The primary Hammer color is much darker in real life so the black detailing doesn't stand out so much. It's also washing out the colors and adding a horrible glare - sorry...

I am really happy with the detail paint color - the blue is spot-on. There may/will be LED's at some point but for the Prototype, I think the paint gets the point across. No pics yet but the blade has been installed which means that I can finish the VERY LAST PIECE - the lower shaft blade supports. I couldn't fab these earlier because I had to be sure of the blade spacing so the fit would be just right.

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

They are in the mould right now and I should be ready to cast in the morning. I haven't done any weathering yet so consider this a "brand new Gavity Hammer" fresh from the foundry. I will weather the next one (and maybe this one a bit later on)...

Thanks for all your patience and support - we're almost there...

Time for the final updates...

Added the Blade...

IMG_0622.jpg

And the lower support details (pegged of course)...

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

Time to put it all together...

IMG_0618.jpg

Drumroll please – this is it...

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

Time to kick some Covenant ass...

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

Damn...That's Pretty...

IMG_0306.jpg

Size reference (74" total length)...

IMG_0646.jpg

It's been a heck of a project and I hope it lives up to everyone's expectations. I may be making a limited run of kits available in the classifieds at some pointif there is enough interest.

Thanks again for all the support!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back