Amt/Erlt Millennium Falcon rebuild ( ANH 5' Version)

Dude - That is unbelievable. I took a stab at this when I was in college and I can appreciate all the work you've done.

This is really cool.

I did want to provide some feedback. The two greeblies on the top at the end of the mandables as well as the "styrene" like strips that stick up behind the greeblies need to be made shorter. I think this is a give away it's the kit and hurts the scale.

Notice you picture above of the 5 footer and how the scaling is different. Should be a simple fix for you. Just shave those strips down.

Oh yea - how much did you shave off the width of the ship? The kit is way too wide.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyones comments so far. Its much more than I expected.

Stormy320, thanks forthe feedback. I see what you mean and I will address it in the new falcon.

As forthe width, it works out almost dead on whenyou give the old AMT a bit of depth, to the centre. Its very flat so I took the advice of John Martin over at SSM forum and gave it back the hamberger shape that the 5 foot falcon is suposed to have.

Here are a few early pics of testing for shape.

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

Its not actualy easy reshaping it, but I found forming it and sitting it in the sun all day, with staps or rubber bands holdng it together changes its shape. LOL

If the rubber band break, its too hot out there!!!!

Thanks again everyone for your comments. I have been learking here for a long time and have admired the work that is done here, so to here positive comments from those people is realy great.

Thanks

Ozzy

Last edited:
PS: I should have some update by the weekend, the filling is taking a lot of time. I have learnt that I need to test fit more carfuly with the next falcon build. In particular if I am to cast them.

Thanks

Ozzy

Back again,

The graphics I created for the Falcon cockpit and turret bay are available for download for forum members personal use. They are being hosted by a friend from SSM forum.

The ones available are resized for the AMT/ERTL and the FM Falcon. The turret graphics are not resized and should be printed at personal preferences.

Here is a larger scale (5 foot sized) cockpit graphics to see what you are downloading.

DSC00054-1.jpg

It comes with a console as well

IMAG0007.jpg

It was designed like a paper model, built directly into the original star wars full sized set plans. Sooooo it does not fit exactly into the FM falcon. Some work is needed!!! Dont email me please.

If you download to build a cockpit for the AMT/ERTL which dont have a cockpit, printing a blank or black and white copy first, and building the parts like a paper model (There are tabs as well) then you can create a full cockpit and console in styrene and then a second print (I have been dooing them on photo paper semi gloss) glues, pasted to the styrene. A light source behind the styrene and print will give you a simular affect seen in my previouse posts.

Before you download here is a glimps at the pages and parts.

Gun turret
turretwalls2.jpg

Back wall

BackPanelresized-1.jpg

Side walls

SideWallsPanel2-resized-1.jpg

SideWallsPanel-resized-1.jpg

Console

Console-rsized-1.jpg

3 level floor

FloorPanel-resize-1.jpg

Although it is not needed, the original set had a three level floor. first floor at door level, second level for the reat chairs, and the third level for the cockpit chairs and console.

At the size of the FM and AMT cockpits it is very difficult to put these details together, however it does look great when you get it right.

Hope they are helpfull (And please keep them for private use, they have found thier way onto sites for sale when Ihave offered them for free before) and I look forward to seeing some cockpit posts.

Download page

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/Downloads/

Check out the rest of the site, its a cool approach to presenting the model building community.

Regards

Ozzy

Hi guys,

Had a bit of an accident with the falcon.

My son was showing a friend his Falcon lights and moved the power board onto a file. the file shorted out the power board and some lights.

Thankfully he didnt hurt himself, and I will make sure it is safe next time, as he could have been hurt, or worse.

Its going to take me a few weeks to get back to were I was yesterday. I have to open the girl back up again.

I will make sure I can access all lights with the next falcon.

see ya in a few weeks.

PS: The cockpit graphics will stay available for a few months, so download them if you need them. Hope to see them in future builds.

Ozzy

Well since you have got to take it apart - you might as well pop off the side walls and drop them into some rubber for your version 2 (and a select few of us ;))

Always look on the bright side!

Jedi Dade

Hey, Ozzy, thanks for the graphics! They're fantastic and will really make my build come alive when I finally get around to restarting it.

I watched one of your video blogs. You're hilarious. You're like a scale-modeling, Canadian, Ricky Gervais. :cool

Thanks TridCloudwalker, but thats not me, thats Scott Girvin. From the SSM Forum.

But I look forward to seeing your falcon and the cockpit.

Ozzy

Oops, my bad. Got mixed up.

Don't hold your breath. This is the very same kit my father gave me when I was 5 years old (the original MPC kit with lighted engine). I've been working on it on and off (mostly off) for the past 27 years. lol Most of my focus is on props these days. Models have taken a back seat, but every once in a while I catch the bug and do a little more work on it and other kits I have.

Hi guys, thanks again for the great comments.

I got the lights back in order, much less fuss than I expected. So I got almost everything I needed to get done.

I made the gun for the turret, the plating, the detail on the cockpit tube etc.

I didnt go out of my way to get it accurate, just the general shapes etc.

I hope you like it.

I am not looking forward to the painting process of painting, and will need some help.

Here are the finished pics.

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

In the words of a good mate!

Thanks for looking

Ozzy

Last edited:
WOW:eek
I'm really impressed that this an old inaccurate kit,what a change.

I really hope you can pull it off the make a full kit out of this!

WOW:eek
I'm really impressed that this an old inaccurate kit,what a change.

I really hope you can pull it off the make a full kit out of this!

Thanks DLT9,

As a few have PM'd me asking what kit this is, I thought I would post a few pics of the kit in its original state. These are from star wars models.com, a great archive of original SW kits.

Three years ago when my kids purchased the kit for me, this is the box it came in, an the expectations I had before openeing it

falconmpc.jpg

It looked much like this when I first put it together.

mfca001.jpg

mfca005.jpg

mfca004.jpg

I wanted what was on the box!!!!! LOL took me three years to get close, but I am am happy!

regards

Ozzy

Last edited:
Ozzy,
Looks really great. I do have a quick question though on the cockpit. When you redid the cockpit tube and cone did you use the same angles? I ask because on some of the picture angles it looks like the cone is angled outward a tad. Is it a trick of the photography? Seriosly though you should drop the sidewalls and such into rubber... They really are pretty close - close enough that "IF" you wanted to improve they are closer then the originals or starting form scratch... I really love how the escape podes/docking rings turned out as well!

Jedi Dade

Thanks JD, I have started on the new side walls, I will take my time and get it correct. the first part is the Wankle engine, I can make it beter this time.

As for the angles, I think I got them correct. I spent a lot of time ensuring they were close.

But that dont mean that I may not have got some wrong.

Here is a pic of the 5 foot and one of my AMT rebuild. I can try and take a plan view of mine to compare with the original if you think it may be out. If it is out of angle I would like to correct it for the next one.

IMG_1967.jpg

52720MF201.jpg

PS: I used a lot of these same photos to get the hull curve correct, plating etc.

Thanks

Ozzy

Last edited:
:eek Looks great to me!
Really would like to get my hands on one altough im getting a bit sick of the falcon at the moment:sick:sick:sick

IMG_1975.jpg

vs.
Falconhangar.jpg

To me it looks like the cockpit is pointed a little up and out compared to the screen grab. Its not a lot, but to me it looks just a bit off. What do you think?

Just to be clear this is offered as constructive criticism, and in now way intended to be a slam on your awesome build!

Jedi Dade

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back