Resin Repair/Filler Material?

eltee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a resin casting that with a crack in it that needs filling. It is a large piece, and the crack is roughly 1/8" wide by 2" long. What is an easy to find, easy to use material to act as an adhesive and filler, that will take paint? THANKS.

Both the above are great - especially the Milliput, but you can use any auto car body filler.

Isopon P38 in the UK or Bondo in the US are both ideal.

put baking soda in the crack and then run thin super glue over it. It cures instantly. It's also hard as a rock. Personally, I'd suggest using magic sculpt...it sands easier and can be smoothed with water before it cures, so you can cut down on a lot of the sanding.

Raygun

If it IS really wide and has the
chance of opening up more in the
future

{ i.e., an area that MIGHT bend some }

then I'd double team it ! Use the
backing soda and super glue INSIDE
the crack and then use a good putty
to COVER the crack ! That way, there
would be NO WAY down the road it could
re-open as the glue holds it FIRM !
icon_wink.gif

Oh, and footnote too for the
baking soda superglue! Be VERY careful
when you do this, as you add the superglue
to the baking soda it can emit " FUMES "..
VERY VISIBLE fumes that STINK and BURN
the crap out of your eye's if too close !

icon_frown.gif

I've read in Modeler's Resource that they use Aves epoxy putty to fill big cracks.

BTW, I guess this is wrong, but I thought you weren't supposed to use superglue/accelerator on resin because the glue is harder than the resin? Or does that just mean you don't leave it sitting around for a while before you sand?

Depending on the quality of the resin,
" MOST " of the time the CA and Baking Soda is
ALLOT harder then the resin !!!!!
icon_wink.gif

I use ONLY to fill voids and such in
kit's, or like said above a deep
crack !

But yeah, some cheaper resin's out there
are so soft that when CA and Soda are used
and you try to sand you'll usually just " dig "
the resin out around the repair and barely
knock down the HARD stuff!
icon_frown.gif

Auto body Glazing putty works pretty well but that's a pretty deep and long crack. I think the Baking soda and CA route is a pretty good one followed by galzing putty to cover up the mess. glazing putty is great and its only like $2 at the local auto supply store (I use pep boys). Hope it works out
icon_wink.gif

Jedi Dade

Yeah, bondo or perhaps a two-part epoxy topped off with putty or JB Weld sounds like it would work.

I'm getting away from super glues. Have you ever come across something you superglued years before and have the bond crumble to nothing right in your hand? That's what happens to super glue (CA) over time.

Yep I'm not a big fan of superglue but pretty much if you build resin - its the way to go. Most 2 part empoxies are too thick but I still use them whe I think I can get wawy with it ;-)

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back