Gandalf the Grey Staff!

Hecubus114

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
No I didnt buy one! As much as I want the Noble Collection version, I also know a fake tree limb isnt worth $1500. So I decided to make my own. Last night I sculpted and painted the head, and I'm pretty pleased with just a couple hours of work. It is by no means as detailed as the NC version (which is cast from the real prop - which, I believe, was cast from a real tree limb), but it still looks very "woody", LOL. This part is going into a mold tonight, and assuming all goes well casting it, I will sculpt the rest around a pole and cast that. Sorry for the blurry pics, I will get better soon. All three pics are of the same piece, the third just under different light:
DSCN4944.jpg

DSCN4945.jpg

DSCN4949.jpg

Thanks!

What I have in the pics is all I have completed so far. If all goes to plan, I will be doing a run of these...

How about blending it into a real branch instead of sculpting and casting one that could break or warp over time?

Regardless, it looks great!

Love it!!:thumbsup I think I remember you doing some other LOTR stuff--How's your display coming along? I'm glad to see you're making alot of them instead of just buying them.

thanks guys - I usually try and buy the licensed stuff - but I'm in no positiion to pay what some of it costs. And making stuff is fun. The shards of narsil was fun and easy. I had started a Mouth of Sauron Helm back in the day, but I knew very little about sculpting then and it went south. I may try that again. Anyway, with the staff I plan on having a metal pole down the center, which should help prevent any warping or breaking. This is new to me in the sense that I've never molded/cast such a complex shape, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

wow, this was always the ONE prop that ive always wanted. but like you it was WAY out of my price range, im really looking foreward to seeing the progress on this!

Will it fit his pipe? I wish the licensed one did.
The Gandalf "pipe" staff is a completely different staff. This is the Mines of Moria staff (the one that holds a crystal).

"pipe" staff
4659-gtgstaff1.jpg

Mines staff
4658-gtgstaff2.jpg

Last edited:
Well, my idea of making the staff resin didnt work out so well. I ended up using bondo to attach the resin casting of the crown to an actual wooden rod. I'm pretty happy thus far. After this I think I'll try making the other version that holds the pipe as well.
staff312.jpg

I have a profound interest in owning both versions of the GtG staff - if you do a short run of either or both please remember to include me.
Kevin.

Well, got it all painted and finished - just gotta figure out a good method for the crystal... I think I am going to ebay this one, though, now that I know I have a way of successfully making these. I didnt put much time or accuracy into the crown sculpt, because, honestly, I didnt think the project would make it this far. I'll try his first staff next, but strive for supreme accuracy. Anyway, here are current pics:
DSCN4965.jpg

DSCN4964.jpg

DSCN4959.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back