My Doctor Who Osterhagen Key replica

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is the mysterious Osterhagen Key given to Martha Jones by Unit as the last defence against Dalek attack in Season 4's finale episodes The Stolen Earth and Journey's End.

The parts were created in Illustrator, then laser cut from sheet acrylic, with brass sheet laid beneath the cut-outs. Each face of the key has a slightly different design.

The case was also custom built from laser cut clear acrylic sheet.

2h6ghmg.jpg

294rixi.jpg

99pb2p.jpg

2zp00ie.jpg

zmgm61.jpg

Right now I have enough parts to make one more key, which I was going to put on Ebay.

These were quite expensive to make. I would consider doing a run if I can find a source for the materials and laser cutting in Europe at reasonable rates.

I sourced the parts I used from the US and that worked out pretty pricey, especially after getting hit up for customs fees.

Neat, very neat! Perhaps if you make a tutorial on how to make one, post it to Instructables, you could win your own Epilog Laser Cutter...

would it be possible to get the specs in a PDF or something? I want to make one of my own and having the measurements and designs would make that a lot easier.

would it be possible to get the specs in a PDF or something? I want to make one of my own and having the measurements and designs would make that a lot easier.

Not meaning to be a jerk, but putting endless hours of research into a prop, and learning the skills needed to develop a project, then making it happen off your own back is a lot of what this forum is about. It's not about saying 'Hey, can I have your work, it would be easier than doing it myself.'

I'm more than happy to help anyone with reference on a prop, but the actual work is down to you. What do you learn if you just want the easy route?

Not meaning to be a jerk, but putting endless hours of research into a prop, and learning the skills needed to develop a project, then making it happen off your own back is a lot of what this forum is about. It's not about saying 'Hey, can I have your work, it would be easier than doing it myself.'

I'm more than happy to help anyone with reference on a prop, but the actual work is down to you. What do you learn if you just want the easy route?
fair enough. but If I could get a lead on the exterior diminsions that would be amazing. it looks to be about 4"x4"x1".

fair enough. but If I could get a lead on the exterior diminsions that would be amazing. it looks to be about 4"x4"x1".
I would have said it was smaller than that, perhaps 3"x3"x0.5".

The design looks the same to me on both sides, but where that chip thing is in a square on one side, it's blank on the other.

Anyone know what type of chain it has? This could be a fun thing to make.

Birdie, your replica is excellent as always. :thumbsup

Oh, you get drawn back into these things :lol

The brass patterns are different on each side.

2i8hkxi.jpg

np5thj.jpg

I had estimated the dims as 3" square, until I saw the prop in person, when I realised it is obviously smaller. Assuming Harriet's passport is regular UK size, I'm gonna say more like 2.5" square, 0.5" deep.

i6i14k.jpg

Pics of the original prop in Cardiff:

hrbz83.jpg

2e6errr.jpg

y33d.jpg

The brass patterns are different on each side.
Yes the pattern on the brass is different, that's what I was talking about previously.

One side has a chip like pattern in those little notch outs, the other side doesn't, but the black sections are identical, save for the broken piece in the corner.

Those photographs are excellent. Thanks for posting them.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back