Graflex clamps. How were (are) they made?

Howard

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Russ and I are looking into producing replica Graflex clamps.
I remember years and years ago, there was a thread showing a clamp making press (IIRC). A sheet of metal was laid into the press and a lever was pulled downward, curling the sheet metal around a former, pressing the sheet into a clamp with the word Graflex and the two rows of four lines either side.
I can't remember how the tabs and slot were produced.

Does anyone have any info on this device - or how current replica clamps are produced?

Would you consider some without the GRAFLEX logo, a la the MR sabers?

That's EXACTLY what I have in mind.
Imagine a chromed clamp with just the two rows of four lines upon it, for an AFBB version.
Oh, and obviously the tab holes and slot.

Last edited:
Me too.
There are two schools of thought.

1. It's a replica prop. So the logo should be there - although there's evidence the prop builder tried to cover it.

2. It's a replica Lightsaber, so the logo shouldn't be there.

It would be cool if both could be offered - but at this stage, all this is purely in the research stage.

I'd be down for either, but I must admit I lean more towards 100% accuracy in my replica props.
If both could be offered that would be killer.

Even though "Graflex" didn't exist in the "Star Wars universe" I still need one that says Graflex for my Obi. I'll cover it like they did for the movie. To me it's not a replica lightsaber unless it matches the movie, and says Graflex!

Mylar tape. Just not the textured kind like on the ESB Graflex. I've seen people use it to cover up the Graflex logo on their Luke ANH sabers as well as Obis.

I believe some are of the opinion that the entire body of the clamp was completely covered in tape of some sort, instead of just the GRAFLEX between the engraved lines. From the looks of the Chronicles photos and the apparent wear, I'd say mylar was unlikely. Metal HVAC tape is the likely culprit.

:thumbsup

the_more_you_know.jpg

Actually, as I recall there is no clear evidence that the 'Graflex' was covered in ANH. The 'tape' argument is a plausible idea but I don't think it's proved.

The new HD screen caps don't really clear this up. There is a Death Star corridor cap which LOOKS like there might be tape over the clamp, but the resolution is so low this could be an artifact of lighting and resolution. In all caps there is always some sort of smudge in the area of the lettering.

I'm not saying the lettering was there, but I don't think we can conclude it wasn't, either.

As to manufacturing processes, I'd track down Biskit and ask him. The linked process was impressive but did not lead to the same level of quality as the originals unfortunately.

Research is progressing - it looks as though Russ *may* be able to produce clamps at some point in the future - with the G R A F L E X logo, and without.
When we're in a position to say for sure, I'll start a new thread.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back