Help Identifying Chainmail Fabric?

Propazoid

Any idea on how this chainmail shirt was made? To me it looks like it's some sort of fabric, you can clearly see "seams' at the shoulders on screen. Does anyone have have a clue to what sort of fabric was used? Thanks in advance!

-Robb

sonja1.jpg

sonja2.jpg

sonja3.jpg

sonja4.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like a standard 4 in 1 weave and it does look just like the shark suits/butcher's gloves that I've seen. Those weaves are machine-made in sheets and because the links are so small, they can be treated more like fabric than the traditional larger weaves...

It looks like a standard 4 in 1 weave and it does look just like the shark suits/butcher's gloves that I've seen. Those weaves are machine-made in sheets and because the links are so small, they can be treated more like fabric than the traditional larger weaves...
IIRC, same stuff Frodo's mithril shirt was made from. 1/8" rings.

I agree. I think the "seams" you are seeing are a trick of the light. Something she has underneath the mail. Or maybe if this is machine made in sheets, that's just where they seamed it together.

There was a guy in our armor panel at Dragon Con that handmade mail like this. It was both insane and gorgeous. Very tiny links. Looked and felt like fabric.

Here you go-

Whiting & Davis Homepage

You'll need to ask about their smallest size, stainless ring mesh. (It's the same stuff as used for Frodo's mithril shirt too) :)

-Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think there's a shiny wool or acrylic you could knit with? That'd look kinda like chainmail from a distance, not as cold to put on in the mornings either.

I am making chain maille at the moment for my jaffa and its hard enough with the small rings I have so anything smaller would be a night mare I would imagine. I have some welded maille for the loin cloth area of the jaffa and its very light, machine welded and like fabric.

I got it from the link below. Also no harm in asking in their forum, very helpful people there.

http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=95&cat=Sheets+of+Maille

Do you think there's a shiny wool or acrylic you could knit with? That'd look kinda like chainmail from a distance, not as cold to put on in the mornings either.

I'd order sheets of the appropriate links pre-made from the ring lord- they have great stuff, and great service as well. as to the seams, it looks like that is a seam that was laced together with some cord, which was not usually done, historically, but since when has a movie been historically accurate? For costume usage, this would be extremely comfortable to wear, and wouldn't require padding under it, just avoid the aluminum on bare skin- it turns the skin black as your sweat reacts with it. For a more accurate look, you could order the sheets, separate links to "cut" it, and then use those links to re-join the weave at the seams. With links that small, you'd save yourself a ton of time and effort, not to mention cramping, over weaving it from loose links yourself.

theringlord.com is a great place, they helped me (and even found local help) do a captain america scale shirt... and im working on my number 2, just be a bit opened minded, they have years of experiance and arent afraid to tell you when something sucks! :lol

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back