Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

there is a guy in town that dresses up for halloween as Peewee every year and has a pretty good replica. I live in oregon and the pic above with the mountains in the background.... I wouldnt be surp,rised if that was his. it looks like our vista.
he is an owner of a local bike store. Ill see what he can tell me.

Hi Guys,
I've been working on collecting all the correct parts:

Here is what I have or know you need for a X1 build.

1946-1953 Schwinn DX frame, the frame is not a straight bar it's a camelback frame where the two top bars have a curve in them. This frame shows up with both abuilt in kick stand and an add-on kickstand which is a greenfield kickstand
You need the matching tank, a guy on ebay called bicyclebones sells them. Note that the real bike has plastic tanks, cause they just vac-formed over an original to make the parts and copies.
You need 29 or 30" wide cruiser bars, wald made these years back you have to really look for them.
The grips are called donkey dick grips, there is a guy on ebay the sells them
Streamers should have a metal cylinder on them, two variets red and white and multi-colored show up in the movie
The fenders are DX fenders but without the trussrod indent only the fork blade indent. They have aftermarket brackets on them.
The springer is a later 1950's to 80's springer with the "S" bolts, not a pyramid springer

The wheels are 26" CMC aftermarket wheels, really hard to find, if you get heavy duty aftermarket wheels you'll be close.
The tires are Carlisle Indian Head Lightining Darts.

The crank is a Takagi Cro-Mo 175x24 chrome crank
The BB is Tange 24 TPI (the bearings and hardware for the cranks)
pedals are vintage Union with yellow reflectors,you can get these for 10.00 bucks at the bike swap.
Seat- Black mesinger9 side diamonds and a rear center oval with "Messinger" debossed.
seat clamp is Schwinn "S" style clamp with a generic round head seat bolt.

front headlight is either a Delta Rocket ray or super rocket ray, with a custom propeller and fins (clear red plexi)
The siren is non-functional pearsons majestic siren- I have a few extras if you need one PM me.
The compass is an Airguide dash compass all black square plastic base.
a shimano 3 speed shifter is on the right handlebar and a dia compe style Tech 3 lever on the left.
The Project box has 2 switches 7MM red and green there is place in Burbank that has the correct size box.
There is mickey mouse bell on the left handlebar, there are two versions soccer and tailor mickey in all green, the bell is the cylinder style (not the hexed shape) with a black button for both images.
The tiger siren, the heads been resculpted but not too crazy changed,
There are two style of housing a large one (rare), and a smaller one common to find.
There is red tubing connecting levers to to the tank.

The tank had three switches the center is 50's automotive start switch with a machined collar, the two other switches are push buttons red one and a black one.
There is machined collar on the right handlebar for the breakaway grip in the movie.
tank emblems are custom- wrapped in chrome tape.

The rear bags are all custom
the lights on the bags are signal stat lights
The latches are available on amazon.
The rings for the red lights can be bought at slingrings.com
I have yet to figure out the "Property of PW" brass plate

The wheel hub swirls are custom and about 8" diameter
The pinstripes are done with white pinstripe tape, I think they might be 3/16th thick
The chrome on the bags and the badges is in chrome tape.

Last edited:
Abelugo, welcome and great information. If memory serves, you seem to have everything pretty much spot on though I think you have more detailed info than I did. You've inspired me to pick up this project again!

Abe... I tried to reply to your PM but it looks like your PM function is turned off...

I found this pic online... Looks like the other screen used Peewee bike that sold on ebay several years ago for something crazy like $17k... I believe this is the bike used for all the FX shots, ie. smoke, oil slick, rockets etc...

Last edited:
Thanks Doc Brown- How far along are you on your bike?
That does look like the ebay 17K bike, same badge and missing skirt pieces. I'll try to post my Hollywood museum bike pics in a bit. Hopefully you have some good ones to share too.
what pieces are you missing?

I always thought that was the case. The Chrome medallion on the side of the tank has little slices around the edge so the tape can wrap around the sides better.

Nice to have that verified!

Nick

Those are great photos Abe... Mine were also a bit blurry. Ill go through them and find the best ones and post them... It wasnt easy to get clear photos with the bike being in that plexiglass box... Here is the list of what i have so far... Im not sure if i should start a new thread or post pics of my build here?...

Have...
-1952 Schwinn Dx (complete)
- DXTank
-Tiger Siren
-Front Springer Fork
-3 speed shifter
-two red and one orange tail lights
-Clover design Schwinn Crank
-Correct handle bar grips with streamers
-NOS pedals
-Delta Rocket light (seems like the screen used one has slightly different markings on it but is still a delta)
- Rear view mirrors (Both are the same size however the left one on the hero bike is larger)
-handle bar mounted black project box (for lighted push buttons)
-Rims (the bike at the museum didnt have the original S2 schwinn rims on it... It had some cheap knock offs that said made in Taiwan on them but they were definitely 26" x 2.125" Rims.)
-Tires The originals were 26" x 2.125" Lightning Darts but im going with some alternate balloon white walls... I cant justify dropping $200 on vintage rubber bike tires.
-Break lever-
-Saddle Bag latches
-300 feet of steel chain

Still Need

-Fabricate saddle Bags
-Fabricate Chaingaurd
-Water Jet skirt gaurd
-Vertigo Spinners for the front wheel
-Mud Flaps
-Bell / Ringer

Last edited:
I always thought that was the case. The Chrome medallion on the side of the tank has little slices around the edge so the tape can wrap around the sides better.

Nice to have that verified!

Nick

I always thought the thing on the side of the tank was supposed to look like a vent of some sort... The one on the other side is a different shape and the ones on the other bikes are sort of different as well... I want to replicate my bike as close to the film as possible but the chrome tape looks so crappy... i think i may go a slightly different route than just using chrome tape.

Yeah, actual metal parts would look great on the side of the tank... I was planning on designing up some parts that matched as closely to the look i think they were trying to achieve and print them out using a 3d printer. Then getting those chrome plated... Same with the saddle bags...

It would be nice to know if they used the S2 rims or not... I keep thinking that since almost everything else on the bike was aftermarket that they used aftermarket rims as well... Who knows though... Most the S2's i find and the ones on my bike were painted to match the bike... I was going to sand blast, chrome and respoke them, but that is some time and money... For now im going with the aftermarket rims until i know for sure.
Restoring the screen used bike would be cool but i dont know how that would effect what the bike is worth...

As for the mudflaps... They are super super hard to find... After searching i found an old ebay auction for a black one with a gold emblem but otherwise it was exact. If i can find one i will mold it and cast them in silver urethane rubber for anyone who needs them...

Yeah, i saw that bell on ebay... The picture is right but wrong body... There are a bunch of correct bodies with the wrong picture on them... Why does that one have to be so rare... lol...

The steel chain thing was just a joke... :cool but... you have to have some in that side bag just because everyone asks... lol

Last edited:
Those mudflaps were super hard to find. I have two of the mudflap in the black and gold colorway. The screen used version got chopped up a bit to fit the mudflap better too.

attachment.php

attachment.php

It's even NOS and still in the package and I can't bring myself to beak open the packages.

Also the lightning darts used have the Indian heads on them. THese are, of course, the more expensive variation. I found mine pretty cheap though. 80 bucks for the pair but it took some patience to nab them at that price.

attachment.php

I also waited forever trying to find a good frame with the built in kick stand. I got one only to realize afterwards that both variations of frame (with and without built in kickstand) were used.

This project has been a couple years of frustration. Fun stuff though. Lots to figure out and identify. It's nice to see other people getting into it as well.

Nick

Thats awesome that you found those flaps... I would love to mold one up for the group of us who are replicating the bike...

BTW,
I've got extra persons sirens I would trade for other parts, hint, hint!

Doc, do you have a clear shot of the museum bikes' brake lever? did you see how the tiger roar microphone was hanging? it looks like there was a fourth res plastic line coming from it.

Also did you notice the "Property of PW Herman" plate is not on this bike?

The seat should be a mesinger with the diamonds on the sides, thought there is two other model it could be, a Schwinn approved version or a phantom version, I've seen both the other with the diamonds and the oval on the rear.

Last edited:
Pm'd ya DOc!

I didn't know about variations on the mesinger seat/saddle. Do you have pics of the two variations?

Nick

The water slide decal is a good idea and would look authentic...

The Signal stats i bought arent the correct part numbers... I found only a few online that were already sold... Im hoping they are the correct size... They seem to be by the dimensions but ill know when i get them in the mail... But yeah, i had to buy the whole light to get the lens.

I also purchased my grips from that same seller... I guess the slang term for those are donkey dick grips...lol...

I would like to check out that bike swap if you have the info on it...

Yeah, the first thing i looked for was that property of peewee plate but noticed it was gone... bummer... Maybe was lost with the seat... I dont think that was a mesinger seat... Was missing the oval on the back.

This was the best pic i could find of the brake lever...

file0031copy.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back