Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

aeropsycho, I sent you a PM.

Did some sanding on the frame, its taking longer than I thought it would.

Found a mesinger seat today at the bike shop in town, the seat is in good condition, but its pretty rusted around the metal parts.

As for the rust, any way I could go about this? I was looking at springer forks because mines half covered in rust..... Not sure if I should see about getting it rechromed (expensive) or purchasing a new one. Mines got the "S" bolts everyone seems to be talking about.

Suggestions?

Andy,
For the springer get some brass wool, you can find it on ebay for about 13.00 a pound ( a realy great and soft metal to clean other metals). Use that with Turtle wax chrome cleaner, it should clean up a lot of the chrome. Remember you really just need the springer part and the two front truss rods to be chrome, the rest get painted red. Don't use steel wool or sandpaper on it. That will cause more rust.

I would have used paint removed to clean the frame. That way your just cleaning old paint off with a wire brush

On the seat, you can carefully removed the rubber cover, I actually just sand blasted all the parts and repainted with that rustoluem black shiny rust away paint, or you can wire brush it and paint it with some gloss black paint.

Here is my bike about 95% done.
Still need the tubing on the handlebars, emblems on the fender flaps and siren on the fork.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks guys, there were a lot of people looking at this, going past sweet aerocycles and motobikes.
The rear tailfin got bumped a few times, I'll need to epoxy and screw it in.

Thanks for the tip Abe, I used the paint stripper and a wire brush today and it cleaned up really nice. Your bike looks amazing, I hope mine comes out as badass as yours!

Andy,
I hadn't seen the pics of the springer, yeah you have some chrome loss! I would get a cheap springer and make a hybrid with the salvageable parts. Or just wait for one to show up in eBay.

I have the emblems for the fender flaps but they are really brittle. I need to make some fake ones that I wouldn't worry about cracking or breaking off.
I tried using bike wire inside the cable housing to hold the red cables in, but the 3 speed shifter uses a different style of cable end inside the housing. On the Brake housing the tech 3's need a special cable adapter, which wouldn't be screen accurate.

Yep, it came with my levers. I may have an extra.

The shifter is hooked up like it should be, but the cable isnt connected to anything inside the tank.

Andy,
I hadn't seen the pics of the springer, yeah you have some chrome loss! I would get a cheap springer and make a hybrid with the salvageable parts. Or just wait for one to show up in eBay.

I was thinking the same (making a hybrid), gonna search ebay and see what i can turn up.

Been reading through this thread day after day. I got around to page 40 something and I thought "maybe i should be writing this down". Theres just so much info and im filling up pages with notes and Im barely on page 5.

Did anyone ever end up casting the "fender flap"? I was thinking id do the same if I came across one.

I have the frame with the built in kickstand and I just like the look of the greenfield (probably because it looks all new and chromed).
I saw this on ebay Schwinn Bicycle Built In Kickstand Removel & Installation Tool | eBay .... Thoughts?

Last edited:
You can carefully remove the tube for the built in kickstand, but I would sooner trade the frame for one without the kickstand, or you can just find a new replacement kickstand, but you'll need that installation tool if you go that route.

I had a bike shop remove the built in kickstand for me when I was painting my frame, they did it for free. You can do it yourself with some effort though. I'd keep the built in, just clean it up and paint it silver.

Did anyone ever end up casting the "fender flap"? I was thinking id do the same if I came across one.

Edward did, he sold at least one set on eBay, I wish that I had bid on it. Life seem to have gotten in the way of his making more. Happens to the best of us I suppose.

Almost got all my parts together.

Ordered brake handle and tank today, I just need to find the compass. I keep finding them on ebay but im not sure if its the right one or not. o_o

Still need tiger siren, and I gotta get working on the saddle bags.

I was able to clean most of the chrome on the springer fork, its looking alot nicer than before. Here's a side by side with the clean part on the right and still somewhat rusty part on the left.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back