Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

Doc,
See attached mickey bell mockup, I did the art, I need to redo the type, I also need to make it look a bit more like silk screen art. It's a bit too perfectly clean. I also used liquid electrical tape on the ringer button. I'll try to get a water decal sheet of the mickeys printed, I just send them out to you guys who need to correct the mickey art decal, by the way the bell is a German Reich bicycle bell.

BTW my bell was an NOS, so I think the gold textured area is stock.

Can you post a dxf or AI file? so I can see the skirts to scale I might print some out and cut them in card board and see them on my bike.
Pm me the cost on those, would be interested if these look legit. Can you try test PM'ing me I thought I sorted that out.

I was thinking the center skirt bars and the tank emblems in aluminum or maybe machined?

Last edited:
Wow Abe, that bell looks really nice... The artwork looks great but i see what you are saying, looks a bit too clean... Where did you get that bell? Are they available anywhere online... Ive seen some vintage ones on ebay, but $80 seems steep...

The skirt guards i drew up to fit my fender... I scaled a side view of the X1 to 1:1 and then started extrapolating dimensions and this is what i came up with... I printed out a set last night and they seemed to fit my bike perfectly... But i know they all can be different. I made them so the top part of the skirt fits up under the fender which is the way the real ones are... I plan on making these out of .050" aluminum then adding some 3/4 inch wide aluminum square stock to the sides just to give them some strength... I figure this will give a good place to mount the side bags too...

I dont know yet what im going to add to the bike as far as working features but the retracting tail lights are on the list with working lights... The oil slick spigots would be cool too... Im not sure what they are from though...

Tried to PM you abe but it still isnt working..

Hey Doc, try the PM again just to see, I changed some of the preferences. Anyhow
I found that one on a buy it now for 30 buck, it is near super mint, just missing the box.
I saw a really exact looking one go for 22.50 in a complete auction.
Just hold out and you'll find one. I have yet to find that bell body available online.

BTW I found the oil spigots on Mcmaster Carr. I was thinking I should do the smoke screen with a mini Halloween fog machine!!
I really want to have some working features.

Are you using original DX fenders? I got a set of hornet/wasp fenders last week. Did you see the cap I post where the bike is without the saddlebags?
what you can also do is mmake both side or end of the skirt double thick width and put them on a sheetmetal break and bend it over itself, I'll draw a pic in a bit.

So does anyone need a persons siren?
We're also going to have custom make the bracket, it looks like a schwinn generator brackey but it isn't!

Ha, notice the greenfield kickstand, I just noticed it!!! I ordered a couple on ebay too.
pee-wees-big-adventure-bike-vlcsnap-2011-01-08-01h00m01s125.jpg-42467d1294531895

Last edited:
The Persons siren bracket has puzzled me for a while too.

The Siren itself looks like its been altered quite a bit from the original. The top air intake area is closed up, and the nub that rubs against the wheel has a wheel or something on there. THe ring around the middle is also a bit different in shape. Less rounded on the pee wee bike's.

Any theories on why these changes were done? Strange.

pee-wees-big-adventure-bike-dscn0810.jpg-42138d1294187770
vintage-bicycle-siren_230562351569.jpg

cc_sir1.jpg
pee-wees-big-adventure-bike-dscn0806.jpg-42142d1294187770

pee-wees-big-adventure-bike-dscn0781.jpg-42149d1294187977

Nick

I think the reason is that they had to find a few of those, and the top hole is not the same as there are two styles. The bracket around it looks to be bent up flatbar instead of the original. I think the black parts is just a generator rubber piece. On the museum bike you can tell that the truss bracket is weld to an onld piece.

Yeah, im using the DX fenders that came on my bike... The front one is a bit rusty and banged up but i think its salvageable... The front has the ducktale and the rear doesnt... If i see another front fender come up i might buy it just to save some work...

I picked up a siren last week on ebay... Got really lucky and got it by second chance offer because it never reached the reserve... I just happened to be the highest bidder... I really think the siren on the bike at the hollywood museum is a casting... It just didnt look like a functional siren to me.. That could explain the top being sealed off... I could be wrong... Its possible that they couldnt find enough of the same pattern on the top and just made them all the same like you said... The squared off ring that goes around the center is a bit strange though...

Abe, i get what you mean about folding over the edges of the skirt on a brake... However, the only aluminum the water jet had available in thin enough sheet was 6061 which isnt very bendable... It has a tendency to crack when bent. However, for this purpose i think the rigid qualities will be good so the skirts arent floppy.. I just planned on tacking on or riveting square stock to the edges... Anyway, Here is the price breakdown... Its worth buying 5-9 sets for the price break... I figure if there are 3 of us it makes sense to buy a couple sets each... But if you dont want to do that... I can make up the difference...

54416213.jpg

Count be in for 2 sets. As long as there is a bit of meat to tuck under the fender like you mentioned Doc, should be fine.

make sure the front fender you find has two sets of indents for the springer and the truss rod.

Doc, I just took another look at my screen caps and museum bike pics, it seems that the skirt should have 7 holes on one side and 9 on the other?? SEE PICS!!! and their not all evenly spaced
Please double check. They are sided and different on each side.

Here the tech thread on making badges, I have some of the stuff, so if you guys want to do a test one, we can get it going.
Technical TECH: Making Your Own BRASS TAGS - BRASS ETCHING at HOME! - THE H.A.M.B.

also the oil slick valves are these
"High-Impact Deflected Flat Spray Nozzles "
here McMaster-Carr

below is the pic of my two bikes, I might do a ratty version and a clean chromey version

Last edited:
Ah man, i knew they were different, but didnt realize the left one had one more ring on it... I will add the other ring before ordering and i will add an extra 1/4 of inch to the top just in case... Well before i do that... I will let you print them out and check to see what you think...

I notice you have a fairly close shot of the bike that sold on ebay... Do you have any more pics of that bike?

Thanks for letting me double check the files. I just want them to be accurate.

I notice you have a fairly close shot of the bike that sold on ebay... Do you have any more pics of that bike?[/QUOTE said:
Actually Kansas Jack sent me those, I thought I saved a few of the closer shots but they must be on old DVDs as switched computers since then.

I'm 100% sure the Bike Museum of American X1 is the same bike, the Curator told me they bought it off ebay- still has the same seat!. They are also trying to confirm the legitamcy of it. If we have a west Ohio member on the board maybe the can go take some pics? The only thing that sucks is that is only viewable from one side.

I told her I'd donate some parts to restore it when I get some of the custom parts made. Maybe we can get some tight measurements in exchange??

BTW here are some close latches for the bags http://www.profhdwr.com/00864.htm

Last edited:
Hey Abe, PM me your email address so i can send you that file for the skirts...

Yeah, that bike is for sure the screen used bike... Using the screen captures i can only pick out two hero bikes used and the bike that is crushed in the clown scene and those two bikes were the one in hollywood which was the bike peewee was riding in the park and down the street with his feet on the handlebars and the one in ohio which was the functional effects bike... I thought i had heard they used more bikes but i cant seem to pick them out in the movie...

Picked myself up a black phantom 1:6 scale bike to convert but recieved it in the mail today completely broken... Even the case was cracked... What a bummer... I can fix it but its basically a pile of parts...

Man, i searched and searched for the latches and believe it or not ended up finding them on Amazon... lol... They had both plated and stainless... I picked up the stainless but think those plated ones look brighter... Thanks for that link.

Speaking about how many bikes there are... I just saw a YouTube video yesterday of Paul Ruebens. He was saying how he owns two of the original bikes. One he said he leant to the Hollywood museum and the other one he has is supposed to go to the smithsonian this year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5-2lEJsgm4

These are the latches i purchased... I like the stainless and it polishes up great, but still not bright as chrome...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I05I84/ref=oss_product

I have two 3 inch mirrors that i picked up off of ebay... But do you have any idea where to find the larger style... I know the right one is supposed to be smaller than the left... Just havent found one yet...

Last edited:
Speaking about how many bikes there are... I just saw a YouTube video yesterday of Paul Ruebens. He was saying how he owns two of the original bikes. One he said he leant to the Hollywood museum and the other one he has is supposed to go to the smithsonian this year...

WOW!! I really was speculating that he didn't own any, why wouldn't he use them to go on shows and what not for self promotion?? might be legal reasons?
Smithsonian?? Just like the 1966 Batmobile should be there too.

Last edited:
I have two 3 inch mirrors that i picked up off of ebay... But do you have any idea where to find the larger style... I know the right one is supposed to be smaller than the left... Just havent found one yet...

Ya, you just gotta find them on ebay or other old bike parts sites. You can't just buy them outright or online new anymore, its a vintage Royce Union 3.5" chrome mirror with plastic reflector The reflector is a 1.5" white reflector. I've only got one NOS, the other two are used condition ( I haven't recieved those yet) maybe they'll clean up nice. It's impossible to find them with the white lens. So I found another mirror with the correct white lens, I'm just gonna replace those.
On the 3.5" mirrors the stem goes right into the rear of the mirror and has a bend in it at the mirror head.

The smaller mirror should have an acorn nut at the mirror head attachment point, it should be able to slide back and forth on the post.

Last edited:
Headbadge concepts.

Hello all!
I've been working with Nick for a couple years on this, and emailing KansasJack for that long, too.
I worked up some sketches for the custom headbadge. I used old Schwinn badges as the inspiration (you bike guys might recognize a few elements.)
Any that you like?
Maybe we could work up a handful of polished designs and get Pee-Wee himself to pick one - can't get more correct than that!

Hey, Welcome Creehobby... Great designs... I like the idea of adding the phrase "best bike in the whole world" and X-1...

Hey Doc, Count me in for a set of skirt guards. That's a pretty significant break in price for ordering 5-9. Thanks for researching it! Jacob, the head badge designs look great. I agree with Doc that adding "The best bike in the whole world" is awesome. I think my favorite one is second photo, top right design. I think the "Made in USA" is a nice touch, too.

Doc, I am in for a set of skirt guards as well.

Hey Doc, Count me in for a set of skirt guards. That's a pretty significant break in price for ordering 5-9. Thanks for researching it! Jacob, the head badge designs look great. I agree with Doc that adding "The best bike in the whole world" is awesome. I think my favorite one is second photo, top right design. I think the "Made in USA" is a nice touch, too.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back