Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

FYI...Carlisle lighnting dart tires came stock on the cheap Murray beach cruisers up to the early 80s...check craigslist..I bought a whole bike for tires I need for a Black Phantom I was working on!

FYI...Carlisle lighnting dart tires came stock on the cheap Murray beach cruisers up to the early 80s...check craigslist..I bought a whole bike for tires I need for a Black Phantom I was working on!

Thats great info, thanks!

so is the brake handle mounted upside down on the museum bike?

Thanks for the info... Thats a good question... It does look like its mounted upside down in that picture... One side says dia-compe and the other is blank... Here are some that are almost identical but arent the dia-compe ones... These are Lee-Chi... for all we know the ones on the museum bike were these... I almost want to go back to the museum again.. This time i would take a flash light... lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280428827664&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

c8qjswegkkgrhqjk4ezyvhs.jpg

c8qi5wegkkgrhqvhuezerg6.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Guys,
Today I got a response from the Bicycle Museum of America.
I had asked about the wheels in my email, she said that the wheels are "CMC" brand ? 26x2.125".
She did confirm that is the bike bought on Ebay.

They have it setup differently now. It looks to be kind of hung from the wall.
She said some restoration had be started but I don't think it's as accurate as what the info we have. There seems to be a trim tape added to the top rear rack bag. I've got one photo I can post tomorrow.

See attached for messinger seat, I have seen one that has "Schwinn Approved" instead of mesinger in the oval too.

Last edited:
Its cool that you heard back from the museum... I think i have seen pics of the bike hanging on the wall... I always thought it was a poor reproduction... Kind of sad that they did such a crappy restore on it... Oh well... I have been searching for those CMC wheels.. I havent found anything... I did find a post you made on another forum though... haha...:cool

As for where the cables lead to... I always thought they went in between the tank halves... But now i see that random one going up to where that microphone mount is on the handlebars... Any idea what thats about? Man... Now i really want to go back to look at the bike again...

Its funny, i have also thought about doing a scale bike as well for my model cabinet... I never could find a suitable model to use as a jumping off point... But your right that roadmaster looks like a good start... Keep us posted...

That mesinger seat looks like the one i bought... But for some reason i dont remember the large M in the oval... Ill have to go out and look at it tomorrow...

Hey guys, this is my first post here but I've met some of you previously via email. Abe, thanks a ton for posting those photos from the Hollywood Museum. I wish I had seen such great saddlebag photos before I started working on mine. Mine are off a bit in terms of shape, but I'm not going to change them. I'm losing steam on this project and any further delay would probably cause burnout altogether. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up so I can finish fiberglassing the saddlebags and top container. Does anyone have any ideas on how they are mounted on the movie bike? I was considering fabricating some sort of flat metal bar framework to hold them in place. I have a better set of fenders that I need to paint also. The ones on my bike currently aren't an exact match. the front fender should be longer on the top.
Here are some photos of where it stands. First shot was taken in my basement. I went down there and the sun was shining on my bike in a way that reminded me of when Pee Wee sees his bike in the hidden backyard storage place. "Good morning. I'm heeere."
IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

Hey Kansas Jack... Your bike is looking great... I love that picture with the beam of sun shining on the bike... Great shot! As for the way they are mounted... I was wondering the same thing too... The regular fender braces are far too week to hold anything heavier than the fender... Would you mind going into detail about some of the parts on your bike? What rims you used etc... My rims came in the mail today, but im not completely happy with them... I think i will temporarily use them until i restore my S2's or find some screen accurate rims... Anyway, beautiful bike... I followed your progress on the schwinn forums...

Abe, you and i need to talk... I did some design work for Mattel back in 99-2000... I worked for a company that did alot of subcontracting for mechanical prototypes for toys and games... I did quite a bit of mech design and model work for them... Alot of fun but another lifetime... lol... I love the 3d bike... looks great... And thanks for the heads up on the phantom kit... looking to bid on one soon. thanks.

Doc,
I emailed a seller from ebay that sells a ton of vintage bike stuff. He told me CMC wheels might be an older aftermarket brand, he said he has not seen a set in years. I just happen to have older about 1990's cheepy wheels on a cruiser, I'll have to check, I might get lucky.
Last night I went through and screen capped all the shots in the movie of the bike.

As far as mounting the bags the side bags seem to have a tab that bolts them to the rear axle hanger where racks bolt in, i'll try to get a screen cap with the image.
I imagine the top center bag has 4 bolts that bolt it to the tops of the side bags. Also maybe two center bolt to the top of the rear fender.
See last image on the top of the saddle there seems to be a bracket.

Guys,
I guess it's easy loosing steam on this one, the first DX I bought for this was around 2002. kept looking for info on oldroads.com. I guess lately the spark reignited with that guy selling the Tiger sirens on ebay.

Last edited:
Nice... Yeah, those are the same rims on the hollywood bike... Just a cheap aftermarket rim... They look like the rims off my sisters old beach cruiser... They probably can be found on some old production bikes... Nice detective work.

Been reading about CMC rims... Apparently they came later on Schwinns such as the Whizzer, Corvette... Also on Sears and AMF bicycles... Funny... the Rims i just got in the mail are knock offs of the same CMC style... Very heavy duty rims...

I've been doing the "ask a question" on ebay bikes. I think the rim also came stock on post 84ish Schwinn cruisers. Though I've only found 1.75" wide not 2.125". I think I too have knock offs of those, just checkl their LJG heavy duty wheels.

Last edited:
Here's the house from the movie. It's at 1846 Oxley St. in Pasadena. It's cool that the fence is still there. Hey Abe, since you live in Los Angeles, we Pee Wee fans are counting on you to buy this house and paint it red. :)

peeweehouse.jpg

Hah... yeah, ive been wanting to go bye there... i want to take the bike there when its complete and get some shots infront... It actually looks better Red... :)

pwcopy.jpg

Last edited:
You could do a tour!:

The Bus Terminal scene was filmed at Grand Central Station in Glendale, CA.

The bike store where Dotty works and where Peewee's bike was stolen is at the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica, CA.

The Rodeo scenes were filmed at: L.A. County Fairgrounds Pomona, CA.

The dinosaurs at the truck stop where Pee-wee meets Simone are at the Wheel Inn Restaurant in Cabazon, CA, along I-10 between Los Angeles and Palm Springs.

The Alamo tour-interior, & courtyard scenes were filmed at: Mission San Fernando Rey, Mission Hills, Los Angeles, CA. Mission San Fernando Rey, Mission Hills, Los Angeles, California, USA

Francis' Mansion is located in: Handcock Park Los Angeles, CA.

The hitch-hiking scene with Mickey, were filmed on The Old Road in Newhall, CA.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back