Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

Hello Magicmanfrank,
Posters sold out - I don't even have one:( - I will probably do a second printing at some point.
Innocenti - I love that red frame on your print! And the wackypacks too. Now that's solid parenting.
Peeweebikelover - cool shirt - I like the confetti around the logo. If it's print on demand, can you offer it on a variety different colored shirts?

I have both my CMC rims in hand now - The rims have different stamps and are actually different widths! The one with the minimal stamp measures 1 1/2" wide. The rim with more writing measures 1 5/8" wide. Not a big difference, but a difference in any case. Anybody know which stamp is on the Ohio museum bike rims? (Probably a different stamp entirely.)
View attachment 53616

View attachment 53617

Creebobby, nice pics, I actually got some CMCs this month also, but I have yet to find out the style stamp, my rims actually have dimples at the spokes.. I'll see about posting pics, do yours have a 5 speed hub? are you going to re-lace the rear to a New Departure Hub? I think that is what I might end up doing.
My logos are like the one on the right without the sizing, though I imagine the one on the left might be what is at the bike museum has, because the coordinator there actually quoted "CMC RIM 26x2.15" as is reads.

Those replicas look real nice, I think these here are pretty darn close as well.
RearDone.jpg

Here is one of the casted up replica mudflaps. Its missing the silver rivets that hold the medallion to the flap but i just got those in the mail and still need to photo the finished flap.

mudflap.jpg

DocBrown88, that mud flap is awesome! You did a great job. That's four different castings to make it. Ambitious!!! I look forward to seeing your finished bike.

mauidude, that bike is more "inspired by" than a replica, it nice but there are a lot details that were changed to make the bike nicer than a prop.

Last edited:
mauidude, that bike is more "inspired by" that replica, it nice but there are a lot details that were changed to make the bike nicer.

I was talking specifically about the mud flap, not the entire bike. My point was if you can't find the flap used in the movie then the ones on that bike are about as close as your gonna get without doing heavy alterations or building your own.

What exactly was changed on the bike to make it "nicer"?

Also could someone post some photos of better made replica bikes?

I was talking specifically about the mud flap

Ha! i got it, you know those flaps are just as hard to get and end up costing between 20 and 50 dollars each when you see them. But you do see that style up on ebay more often. I got lucky and got three correct sculpt flaps in that lot that was for sale a while back. But they are white and I'm not 100% sure any of the bikes had white flaps.

On that replica bike first off- the paint, way nice- like pro paint, We think that the bikes we're spray bombed and the surfaces were not all that finished. Atleast on the museum bike.
The skirt guards are 40's Elgin skirts guards, but not correct, they do look nice and kind seem to be what that would be in real life.
He used nice Schwinn parts through out, but some of the hardware is not Schwinn on the movie bikes.
The tank badge is a honda piece, also not correct. but looks nice on there.

The grips and brake handle not correct either. Most all the chrome on that is like triple plated looking which pops with that paint.

But like I mentioned before that is a nice bike, and it seem the asking pics was fair with the amount of work and parts you get.

As far as correct replicas, I don't think anyone has gotten the correct shape for the bags. So I would say I've seen a 100% correct one yet.
I have a few pics of replicas, I'll have to post them later.

Having a hard time finding a crankset and rear wheel hub for the 3 speed shifter set up. Can anyone point me in the right direction for these parts?

Peruna, the crankset is on ebay it's a Takagi 175x24 Cro-Mo chrome crank, you have to have the vintage tange BB with 24tpi, these are hard to find and a bit price. expect to pay about 80.00 for the correct crank and another 30ish for the Bottom brack nuts. There are three sprockets it can be, the easier to find is the schwinn cruiser clover. The rear hub is not confirmed to be a three speed, though the shifter is a three speed. I'm lacing my CMC wheels to a New departure hub. If your going to want 3 or more speeds just get a Nexus 3 or 7 speed and hide the shifter, the hub is clean.

Mauidude, we actually have a lot of info on the bike, I did edit some posts down, but don't mind sharing.

Mauidude, I have to say that when my son said he wanted a bike like Pee-wee's, your bike was the first replica I saw on the net. I read the whole thread on another forum and found it totally inspiring. I am impressed by your craftsmanship. The bike would pass as the real deal to all but a couple dozen people in the world. Some of us have taken the recreation of this to a crazy degree. At some point it becomes esoteric drudgery appealing to the 1 in a million trainspotter. I like your can do, have fun with it spirit. Your bike is a keepsake!!! Let me know if you build any James Bond props. Cheers, Lee

Mauidude, I have to say that when my son said he wanted a bike like Pee-wee's, your bike was the first replica I saw on the net. I read the whole thread on another forum and found it totally inspiring. I am impressed by your craftsmanship. The bike would pass as the real deal to all but a couple dozen people in the world. Some of us have taken the recreation of this to a crazy degree. At some point it becomes esoteric drudgery appealing to the 1 in a million trainspotter. I like your can do, have fun with it spirit. Your bike is a keepsake!!! Let me know if you build any James Bond props. Cheers, Lee

I didn't make that bike, its a photo I found on the internet.

here are some nice ones and replicas and fun customs. Mauidude, did you build one? Why haven't you posted images?

BTW I actually met up with Docbrown88, those mud flaps are really nice.

lol.. that last pic is odd... A graveyard seems to be a strange place to take pics of your pee wee bike... Nice use of tombstones as kickstands.. :lol

no bashing!! nonetheless they are custom bikes. Here is one I forgot to post. BTW they played Big Adventure at the Hollywood forever cemetery last year, that is probably why.

Last edited:
Here's the progress on my chain guard (conspicuously displayed in front of my newly restored Huffy muscle bike. :rolleyes) My first attempt was a chain guard that was too wide, so I cut my wooden template to the proper size and hammered sheet metal around the form. I used a grinding wheel on my Dremel to cut off the excess. Some final shaping and touch up with JB Weld and/or Bondo will have this looking good before painting. If anyone wants an outline of this template on paper, just let me know and I'll send one your way.

IMG_0555.jpg

Last edited:
Holly Crap! I've told less than a dozen people about this project I am doing. First I find out my trainer knows Paul Reubens and the producer of his stage show and upcoming movie, and promised that I could meet him and have him sign my bike. But just now, I am talking to my buddy about cutting out some parts on his CNC machine, and he says his aunt is Dotty!!! He said she'll come down and sign my bike for sure. That is a small world!!! I guess "if you build it . . . ", right? :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back