STar trek TOS

Aquaman

Sr Member
Ok, who makes the best custom sized uniforms? Are the patterns in the "Star Fleet Technical Manual" correct? Can u fabricate from them and have a real acuracy?

Ok, who makes the best custom sized uniforms? Are the patterns in the "Star Fleet Technical Manual" correct? Can u fabricate from them and have a real acuracy?

Well, the Tech manual is wrong so that's out.

As far as anyone doing custom and Accurate TOS Uniforms who is not a flake or will not steal your money, sadly there are none.

Maybe Indy magnoli can do something as the info. is out there.

You can try http://orionwomancostumes.net/default.aspx She made a Kirk shirt for my nephew and it looks great. She's good about communication and updates if you need them.

I would highly recommend Raven/OrionWoman -

2807880227_4c991c9b26.jpg

BretKirk.jpg

She did right by me! Great communication, customized pieces and good pricing.

-Bret

I do NOT recommend Orion Woman. I had a TERRIBLE experience with her. I ordered an Uhura Season One uniform for my wife and a Spock Season One tunic in VELOUR for myself.

She seemed friendly, and at first her communication was good. I paid in full in advance. Everything seemed to be going pretty well. Then I suddenly stopped hearing from her for a long time. When I did get replies from her, they were kind of weird. I started to feeling uneasy.

Then I received my order. I was flabbergasted.

The most obvious problem was that the men's tunic was VELLUX, not velour. Vellux is that horrible laminated flocked foam fuzzy crap they make blankets out of that starts to disintegrate in a couple of years. It has absolutely no stretch whatsoever, is double-sided and hot as hell (hello, blankets?), and so thick that it doesn't drape well and distorts the shape of the collar. Also, there were a couple of very obvious spots of magnatac (fabric glue) on the front of the tunic, and a hole in the shoulder seam where the stitching had obvious gone awry, was picked out, and re-sewn. All in all, completely unacceptable.

The Uhura dress was, in fact, velour. If you know fabric at all, you know that velour has a distinct nap to it - a direction in which the fibers lay. When you make something out of velour, you have to be careful that the nap is going the same direction on all of the pieces. Well, on one of the large front panels of the dress, the nap was going the opposite direction of all the others. The hems on the dress were all uneven, and one of the pieces didn't even HAVE a hem, it just stopped, unfinished, at the bottom of the dress. Very poor craftsmanship.

I sent her a polite email detailing the numerous problems and sending her photographic proof of my complaints, asking for replacements or a refund, and she went postal on me. She denied that she used fabric glue at all, accused me of all sorts of insane things, like putting the glue on the tunic myself, altering the hems, sending bad measurements (notice I never said they didn't fit!) - she even accused me of brushing the pile on the Uhura dress in the wrong direction for the photo so I could get my money back!

The tone of her email was so crazy, accusatory and offensive (contained curse words) that I did not contact her again and simply ate the cost of the costumes. A very expensive pile of useless fabric, indeed.

In contrast, I bought my men's TOS pants from MurrayMousie, had great communication from her, and got the pants - which were superbly crafted - in less than 2 weeks! Only downside to MurrayMousie, no zippers on the men's tunics - she only makes pullovers, which is not accurate.

That was MY experience.

Last edited:
I had heard some things about Orion woman.

Sorry you had a bad experiance with her Rick.

It's sad that for some reason TOS costuming attracts all, and I mean, ALL the flakes.

Yup...I've had an ongoing experance with Orion Woman that was supposed to end yesterday that started August 27th. Raven might be a tad...crazy. More to come...:angry

John

Ray,
It takes all kinds to fill the freeway. You get the flakes along with the good ones. We have had them on the LOH, too.
There are 2 really good suggestions on here. MurrayMousie on ebay and OrionWoman. Murray doesn't put the shoulder zipper in, but that's the only real flaw in her suit. OrionWoman has done good by me, as well as another on here. Conversly, Rick had a less than pleasurable experience. It really all depends which route you feel comfortable with.
Or, the third option, you can buy patterns and what not on roddenberry.com and have it made locally. You can get the correct fabric, but it's EXPENSIVE.

Wes

hmmmm why such a popular costume isnt made reliably

Ray,
It takes all kinds to fill the freeway. You get the flakes along with the good ones. We have had them on the LOH, too.
There are 2 really good suggestions on here. MurrayMousie on ebay and OrionWoman. Murray doesn't put the shoulder zipper in, but that's the only real flaw in her suit. OrionWoman has done good by me, as well as another on here. Conversly, Rick had a less than pleasurable experience. It really all depends which route you feel comfortable with.
Or, the third option, you can buy patterns and what not on roddenberry.com and have it made locally. You can get the correct fabric, but it's EXPENSIVE.

Wes

:angryDO NOT BUY FROM ORION WOMAN!!!:angry

I just got may two shirts after waiting 6 and a half months and they are unwearable!!!! The third season tunic is unfinished and tooo tight eventhough I went to a professional for the mesurement. The sleeves are split open to the arempit and there are no rank braids (I contracted for Capt. The replica of my 36 year old Donmoor shirt is so bad it's killing me even though she had an original to work from.
I'm working right now but I will soon post 7 months of emails and pictures of the results. God sombody tell me what to do here I'm heartbroken and fracking mad as hell!!!!!!!!!:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry

OrionWomansWork.jpg

Oh yeah why the jfse isn't there a reliable replica of this tunic yet!>!?!?!?!?

Last edited:
If you want accuracy and dependability, the best bet is to buy the patterns and materials and have a local seamstress do it.
That way, they have your exact measurements and you are available for questions and test fittings. Also, you are in control of how things go.
http://www.roddenberry.com/wardrobe/patterns/tos-starfleet-officer-duty-uniform-male-shirt.html

http://www.roddenberry.com/wardrobe/wardrobe-patches

Now, I KNOW I may get lynched for typing this.... Katarra8 offers the fabric in her ebay store. Yeah, I know she's a flake, crook, whatever. The upside is, it's ebay. You pay by paypal and don't recieve your fabric in a timely fashion, you file against her. You're protected.

Wes

MurrayMousie !!!! off ebay!!! Get It !!!! These have zippers and the gold uniform is "green" just yellow because of the light.

l_0e675c9e6edb3ad6df964d73557096e4.jpg

Last edited:
:angryDO NOT BUY FROM ORION WOMAN!!!:angry

I just got may two shirts after waiting 6 and a half months and they are unwearable!!!! The third season tunic is unfinished and tooo tight eventhough I went to a professional for the mesurement. The sleeves are split open to the arempit and there are no rank braids (I contracted for Capt. The replica of my 36 year old Donmoor shirt is so bad it's killing me even though she had an original to work from.
I'm working right now but I will soon post 7 months of emails and pictures of the results. God sombody tell me what to do here I'm heartbroken and fracking mad as hell!!!!!!!!!:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry

OrionWomansWork.jpg

Oh yeah why the jfse isn't there a reliable replica of this tunic yet!>!?!?!?!?

My experience with her was similar. The interior seems were hastily sewn together, the braid and insignia were glued on, and the sleeves way too long. The fit wasn't bad, but the end hem was unfinished, once again hastily sewn. The trousers were just horrendous, baggy and had lots of loose thread everywhere with a hole in the cheap zipper she used. Very shoddy work all around.

The uniform was ordered a year or two ago for Halloween, but it came a month or so late. Even then, I had to badger her. She promised an extra tunic as an apology but it never came. I decided I could live with the tunic and trousers, alter them at a local tailor (which I haven't done yet -- don't know if I ever will), since she promised another tunic for FREE. When I went to collect, she said it was done and she'd send it right away. Weeks later... nothing. Another email, she said that she thought I didn't want it and it was sitting on her desk. She never sent it.

After a few of more emails, I gave up. Chalked it up to a bad experience.

Same thing happened with 3seasontos.com through Ebay, and even though it was paypal, I wasn't able to recover my money. I won a first-season wrap from him, and was promised it be in my hands before Halloween 2008 (sensing a pattern here). It never arrived. I had to track him down through ebay for his number. He called me, gave the usual illness excuse that all the TOS dealers give when they are late on paid items. Sent me... well, crap.

I researched him and apparently he helped Kathy (kattara8) create the wrap pattern that's sold for Roddenberry.com. His site states that his wraps are made of wool. The one he sent was made out of a dark green -- way inaccurate color -- polyester, the cheap kind. Not only that, it had no shape at all even when you put it on. The worst part -- it reeked of cigarette smoke. It was so bad that I had to put it out on my balcony for weeks while I tried to get back my money.

One of these days, I'm going to take pictures and publish them on all the costume boards with the email communication from him. This one pissed me off more than Orion Woman. At least, I can salvage her costume. The 3seasons.com, Captain Hanasko on the other boards, is pure crap. Don't buy from him at all. I called him, emailed him and PM'd him on the boards. No response.

The only dealer that I had a pleasant experience with, even though the product took nearly a year-and-a-half to get, was Shadowdale.com. Yet it was like pulling teeth to get my first-season wraparound. It looks great -- they used to have a picture of it on their site. Despite giving them measurements from a professional tailor, the fit had a little to be desired in places, even after I had it altered by a local tailor. I still need to take it in and have it readjusted. They used katarra8 braid, which is not really accurate but I plan to have that replaced with the more accurate braid I got.

I'm so soured on TOS uniforms that if I do have another made, I'm buying the pattern and fabric and going local to have it done. Which is what I should have done in the first place.

If you want accuracy and dependability, the best bet is to buy the patterns and materials and have a local seamstress do it.
That way, they have your exact measurements and you are available for questions and test fittings. Also, you are in control of how things go.
http://www.roddenberry.com/wardrobe/wardrobe-patches

Wes

That would seem to be the way to go but you'd be wrong. An actual replica tunic is a duce devil difficult shirt to make and more, the published pattern is crap as there are tricks to sewing the tunics that these costumers don't give up, and without them, things just won't look right...like the collar won't lay right and the zipper won't function properly, or the drape will be off. You can't just walk in to your local seamstress and toss her the Roddenberry patterns and end up with an accurate Star Trek Tunic. It doesn't work that way, and that's why these douchebag Star Trek costumers stay in busness.:angry

As for Raven, I thought I'd done my homework. I looked into Orion Woman before ever ordering and thought she looked on the up and up. Boy, was I wrong. So everybody remember, stay away from Joe K., Kathy P., Starfortress, Shadowdale, and now we can add OrionWoman to the list.:angry

:angryWHY CAN'T A REPUTABLE STOREFRONT OFFER AN ACCURATE TUNIC IN STANDARD OFF THE RACK SIZES?!!?! In this day and age, when we can actually order FRACKING KIRK'S CHAIR...WHY CAN'T WE GET A GOOD TUNIC TOO?!?!?!?! :angry

The worst part is that I've longed for a replica of my childhood green Donmoor Star Trek tunic and worked closely with her to make that happen only to get something that's the right color but is something that I could never wear. What I held in my hands tonight was too tight sewn badly and is just sickingly heart breaking. I'm right now somewhere between thoughing-up, crying, and being so mad I might have cracked a tooth. Somebody please tell me what to do here, I'm...I just don't know.

John

Last edited:
hmmmm why such a popular costume isnt made reliably
They have been, but the people who were doing them no longer make them.

Well as noted before these look simple but there are a few tricks to doing them.

Also The fabric for the Third season Tunic was just released to the general public, what a year or two ago, although it was known by a few fans for some years.

When I learned what it was I thought my leg was being pulled untill I compared it to a Screen-Used one. :lol

:angryWHY CAN'T A REPUTABLE STOREFRONT OFFER AN ACCURATE TUNIC IN STANDARD OFF THE RACK SIZES?!!?! In this day and age, when we can actually order FRACKING KIRK'S CHAIR...WHY CAN'T WE GET A GOOD TUNIC TOO?!?!?!?! :angry

No kidding.
I bought the patterns AND a sewing machine just to do it myself. I've never sewn anything like this and was perplexed with the patterns. An even harder part was just sourcing the correct fabric which I have yet to find.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back