Searching for the Beta Capsule-(Microphone)

Jet Beetle

Sr Member
Gone but not forgotten.
Okay, anyone familiar with Ultraman knows Hyata uses the Beta Capsule to transform into the monster fighter. This prop is one I would love to have and I know they used an off the shelf microphone and dressed it to serve as the prop. The show was first broadcast in 1966 so the microphone has to come from that era. I have searched high and low - ebay-japan yahoo and i've had some close calls but nothing that has matched. The head of the unit (add Bevis and Butthead laugh here) was removed from the microphone and a flash bulb was inserted to make the spark when Hyata activates it. The cage over the bulb is still similar to the ones you find on mics, but I'm not sure if it's the original -- it looks pretty flimsy, like hammered from tin or alumminum (which most of the ships were wade from - tin over wood). i would really love it if someone can tell me what brand this thing is. This is my ultimate prop and I would love to recreate one. Here are some pics and screengrabs..

first the toy by M1 on display at Ultra Fest. It's fatter than the prop but the shapes are pretty dead on - including the silver bottom
P1010143.jpg

nest up a screenshot - the hand holding it is a kid who finds the capsule - note the silver bottom-which I believe unscrewed
vlcsnap-8535789.png

vlcsnap-8539490.png

vlcsnap-8541314.png

here is one of the flash discharging -- you can see the "custom" cage here
vlcsnap-8551065.png

as well as the smoke seeping out from the flashbulb
vlcsnap-8552281.png

a nice clear shot of the cage and flashbulb stuffed inside
vlcsnap-9063548.png

a good shot of the entire capsule -- the red button I'm sure was added where the microphone switch once was - but then again who knows
vlcsnap-9271896.png

here is the unit layed across Hyata's neck - this is for approximate size
vlcsnap-9272300.png

again for size - but you may also take note of the small chip at the crest of the silver bottom - damage, or was there a wire there before refit?
vlcsnap-9278729.png

the chip is seen even better in this shot
vlcsnap-9285860.png

vlcsnap-9286578.png

vlcsnap-9286015.png

vlcsnap-9300752.png

Thank you for any help and imput you have to offer. I have wanted an accurate Beta Capsule for too long now and I know if I'm ever going to track down one of these my peeps here can probably help.

The one the kid is holding almost looks like a different one in terms of proportion--is the aspect ratio the same, and correct, in all the screen caps?

We're assuming there was a paint job on this thing right?

Last edited:
That doesn't look like any microphone I've seen before. That said could it have been something that came with a portable cassette recorder or Dictaphone perhaps?

The cage over the bulb looks rough (and flimsy) enough in those images to suggest strongly that it was custom made and not part of the mic.

Harry

The one the kid is holding almost looks like a different one in terms of proportion--is the aspect ratio the same, and correct, in all the screen caps?

We're assuming there was a paint job on this thing right?

I'll be guessing at everything I tell you because information about this prop and how it was created is either non-existent or is tucked away in some book written in Japanese.

If you look at the second cap where the kid has it in front of him in his right hand you can see the little chip or nick at the bottom of the capsule - not sure if that was something all of them had (going with the theory that there was more than one design). Now, I will say that I have noticed that sometimes the black bar running around the top of the band bordering the cage looks like electrical tape sometimes and other times it's obviously painted. I'm not sure if the body was painted or is naturally a light baby green. i know the stripe was added along with the black bar band.

And the aspect ratio of all screen caps are all the same.

Jet,
I've got a friend who is also a MAJOR Ultraman fan. He has quite a few connections in Japan, and I downloaded your images and gave them to him. He said he'd get "his people" on it and see what he could find out. ;)

As soon as I hear from him, I'll let you know.

Sorry to shift shift subject slightly, but is their any info on the Science Patrol helmets. Such a cool design.

Nick

Jet,
I've got a friend who is also a MAJOR Ultraman fan. He has quite a few connections in Japan, and I downloaded your images and gave them to him. He said he'd get "his people" on it and see what he could find out. ;)

As soon as I hear from him, I'll let you know.

Thanks a million for that!!

And I agree with you - this mic probably did come with a cassette recorder or something. A friend of mine tried to convince me it's from a giger counter -- but I have yet to see anything like it.

I know the whole piece is not a custom. I read in a book (translated from Japanese) that is was put together at the last minute by one of the prop guys because the original design was too complex to complete. "He used things found laying around to create future weapons and even the flash beam (Beta Capsule)"

The Science Patrol helmet ear radios are cast from panasonic headphones turned upside down.

When I go to Japan I always hit Akihabara - because they sell old electronics and I never find the mic.:cry

Thanks everyone for helping

Good luck to ya finding the microphone!

I think every Japanese male was at one time an Ultraman fan.
If there are a few of these microphone left floating around in the Japanese market, I think the home-grown Fan Boys would of bought it up by now.

Nick

Good luck to ya finding the microphone!

I think every Japanese male was at one time an Ultraman fan.
If there are a few of these microphone left floating around in the Japanese market, I think the home-grown Fan Boys would of bought it up by now.

Nick
:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry
You love to hurt me Nick. You love it.

I thought we nailed the cage rather close years ago...

I never was sure about the original having been a microphone.

Close-up of my old run.

Last edited:
Sorry Paul :rolleyes... I'm not a pessimist, just didn't want you to get your hopes too high on this piece.

it might easier to find this item if we know the make and model somehow.

Nick

And isn't that what makes this place great.:love Some people here can look at a screw head and say "that's from a WW2 PANZER, right to the left of the fly wheel joint"

And Rylo - your cage is close but as your can see the original is mucked up a bit and there is a flash bulb in there. I know the color and body of yours is off but I own 2 from your run and I love them. I just want something accurate.

This guy here:
http://www.yocchi-property-man.com/newpage36.html
makes a replica that is much much closer to the original - but he doesn't sell them.

And YES SLAVE1, the microphone above is in the family of shape - in fact I'd love to see that one with the mesh cage removed. I have no idea what the crown of the original looked like before the refit, it could have been a ball that was removed and the flash bulb inserted and cage put over it. And see the rear where the cable runs out - that is where the silver cap was added to the capsule.

Last edited:
I went with the foam green color later on mine after getting better screen caps...

I may revisit the run one day and change a couple things.

It's not a microphone.

It's the wand from a Portable Geiger Counter. Found one at my local Surplus Store yesterday. I'm going to go pick one up today if I can.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back