Key to Hamunaptra

Jaded Monk

At the recommendation of a fellow board member, I'm posting one of my current projects. I've been working on it during assorted off-hours, so I won't say how long it's taken. :unsure

3232163053_e6c472a93a_m.jpg

It is a little further along since the time of this pic. I've attached the interlocking petals.

The petals are spring loaded and if the magnetic latch works, the Key will function as in the movies. It is constructed of styrene with brass inside the hinges. I thought Styrene would be easy, I kind of wish now that I'd used brass. Maybe next time.

Any questions and criticisms are welcomed.

Thanks for looking,

JM

Last edited:
OOH! I've always loved this prop. I've seen lots of static keys, but I've always wanted a functional one. Keep us updated and definitely let us know if you're ever going to do a run for sale. :)

Wow... thanks everyone for the interest! I will definitely post with progress.

RelicMaker: The hinges were actually the easiest part;
2474804719_3d3efc752b_m.jpg

What isn't shown is the pins anchoring one end of the spring to the middle section and the other ends to the outer beveled ends.

I thought there was one other working fan made prop?

JM

I think Wakal had a kit at one stage bu tnot sure if it was spring loaded. I always wanted one but I think the moulds were passed on.

Regards
TAZ

I think Wakal had a kit at one stage bu tnot sure if it was spring loaded. I always wanted one but I think the moulds were passed on.

Regards
TAZ

He has a solid stunt with the top modified to open.

Keep in mind the inside of the actual prop is round, the upper an lower parts rotate, there are a few unlocking buttons hidden in the glyphs and the catch for the lid can be seen inside.

I have one (Wakal's) I was modifying but never finished it.
I did cut it in half.
Needs the top redone in styrene and metal since the castings had some problems.

Division 6: The visible catch on the inside is what prompted me to make my own key. The bottom turns (its taped in the photo to keep it from wandering) but, I felt there had to be a way to make it work with out any visible mechanism. So, in that aspect, this isn't a true prop replica. I decided to make myself miserable by using the space between the inner and outer walls for the catch and making the interior compartment full height. It would have been easier to follow the original prop more precisely, but hey 'easy' isn't why we do this. Right?

Key1.png

Cheers

JM

Would love to own a working one, spring loaded that is not tomb opening, mummy releasing working :D

*sigh* I keep missing this and the bracelet replicas. One day!

Update:

3274222957_0b4a71cc55_m.jpg
3274962642_c45def8743_m.jpg

The blue & red are helping me identify gaps. I can live with some, i just want them to be consistent. The putty is thinned Aves Apoxie Sculpt. I've just made one pass, I'll hit it again tonight. I didn't like the gaps between the leaves and the hinges. The interlocking tabs have gotten smaller and smaller as I've worked on it. I haven't decided what to do about it yet. I had to guess about the dimensions, based on the size of Rachel Weisz's hands. Apart from the size of the tabs the dimensions should be pretty close. If I do decide to make more, I will make 6 to 10 and then offer them up. I don't want to start a list and keep 20 people waiting.

Comments and criticisms are always welcome.

Cheers,

JM

Nice work!:cool:thumbsup
It would have probably been easier to tear apart one of the regular casts you see on ebay all the time, but I respect you building up one from scratch.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back