WIP Commander Cody helmet conversion (Completed Pics on p. 5)

EVO3

After completing my EPIII Clone pilot helmet i still had an itch to build another helmet. After reading a CTN members comment about how Codys base helmet looked different than all other standard phase 2 helmets, i decided to jump on that. The base helmet is Shorter from top to bottom and longer from front to back so i decided to take an EPIII helmet i had lying around an butcher it up. Once the base helmet was done, i would jump onto the helmet accessories. Its a project that i was documenting on CTN but now that its done, i though id post the whole procces here. well, here they are..........

This pic shows where the visor and frown were narrowed to get the right look.

red1.jpg

Here is a side profile of the helmet showing the cuts that were made in order to shorten the bottom to top height and lengthen the front to back profile.

red2.jpg

And here are the progress pics that bring it to where it is now.

codybase1.jpg

codybase2.jpg

codybase3.jpg

cody4.jpg

cody9.jpg

cody8.jpg

cody.jpg

cody7.jpg

Last edited:
Re: WIP Commander Cody helmet conversion

P1011775.jpg

P1011776.jpg

P1011777.jpg

This is when SGB said that in order for it to be canon, i had to make the ears oval. So i did.......... :icon_chainsaw: :lol

P1011779.jpg

P1011740.jpg

P1011739.jpg

P1011738.jpg

P1011737.jpg

P1011736.jpg

Ear radio thingy was next.........

P1011743.jpg

P1011744.jpg

P1011745.jpg

pizzahut.jpg

After a while of cutting and test fitting, i came up with these templates for my styrene.

1.jpg

2.jpg

And here is the styrene already cut out and glued. This is the platform on which all the bondo and detail will be added.

4.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:

This is the main frame of the visor with styrene strip individually glued in order to conform with the shape of the helmet.

gf1.jpg

Visor removed and ready for adding epoxy putty and bondo for shaping.

gf2.jpg

What i did to help get the contour of the visor was to use epoxy putty to get it somewhat close and then once that hardened, i added the bondo over the top of that. This is the result.

gf3.jpg

A few coats of primer and sanding got me this.........

gf4.jpg

Now the mounted pics............

gf5.jpg

gf6.jpg

gf7.jpg

Here are pics of the antenna. I still have to make the mounting bracket. As a matter of fact, i'll be going out to the shop to finish it tonight.

P1011752.jpg

P1011753.jpg

And the completed helmet........

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

Here is the helmet stripped down.

a9.jpg

a10.jpg

a11.jpg

a12.jpg

This was a fun project while it lasted. Now ive got to move on to molding the helmet accessories. Fun!

Last edited:

This...see this is the reason why I love this place, what an amazing build up!! You got some seriously mad skills there my friend, I loved your clone pilot but this takes the cake!! May I be so bold as to ask will you be making any copies of this helmet? Thanks for sharing your progress! :thumbsup

Those are great pics taken through the whole process. Ive not seen this build before so it was interesting to see how you approached it. Absolutely rock solid brilliant! I'll keep watching for the paint!

Outstanding work. Just outstanding.
I had an Episode III helmet I was saving to do exactly this, but I kept holding off because of the neck ring logistics (the removable face with that visor is tricky), and as you pointed out - Cody's helmet does have a much more squat shape than all the others. I tried to make the visor and just gave up and sold it all. Then again, I don't work with Bondo that often to be that comfortable.

Once again, incredible job. I can't wait to see it painted.

Thanks guys. I'll try not to disappoint with the molding and paint work. Im hoping to have this done before the end of February so that i can complete my EPIII pilot helmet in time for SWW. Fingers are crossed!

Damn f'n sweet man thank's for the WIP you make it look easy,wish I had half of your talent.Cant wait to see it painted.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back