Earth Station Mckinley

moffeaton

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here's something fun from last Fall... I restored the Earth Station Mckinley miniature from Star Trek: TNG. It's in the latest issue of Sci-Fi and Fantasy Modeler magazine - out now!

Here's what it looked like on your TV screen:
Earth_station_mckinley.jpg

Here's how it looked when I got it:
P1050653.jpg

P1070473.jpg

In the heat of things:
P1070560.jpg

P1070565.jpg

P1070810.jpg

And fixed up!
P1070896.jpg

P1070905.jpg

P1070892.jpg

Wow, I thought that model was CG. The photography and compositing didn't do the model justice. Nice save.

Wow, I thought that model was CG. The photography and compositing didn't do the model justice. Nice save.

Yeah, it's a weird design that should have gotten a better angle. I talked to Rick Sternbach about it a while back... Greg Jein's shop did the actual construction. Not a lot of ref out there, and there were some missing sections - luckily nothing that was impossible to extrapolate. Some of this is just mirrored from left to right along the model. I was most pleased with matching the (slightly aged) aztec coloring in the areas I repaired - you can't tell what was fixed from what was left alone.

Also, it NEVER ceases to shock me how rough some of these models are, under close scrutiny. I know they're made under impossible deadlines, but man, some of those seam lines and bubbles in the castings made me cringe, when I left things untouched... you have to match what you're making to what exists!!

WOW!
It's great to finally see the miniature up close and clean!!
And what a superb job fixing it up!

About 10 years ago this was the first CGI model I made for ST:Voyager, I had no ref except the episode on VHS! I know what I made was far from the level of detail in the model, but it wasn't going to be seen close up.

Any chance of getting some more, even closer? Or knowing where it lives now?

L

Here's something fun from last Fall... I restored the Earth Station Mckinley miniature from Star Trek: TNG. It's in the latest issue of Sci-Fi and Fantasy Modeler magazine - out now!

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back